No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a commercial guy only about 3 miles from my house that's a hippie, green earth type(long green hair) that I can bounce questions off of. His yard looks like mine but with piles of bee keeping equipment and bee hive parts in all stages of repair. Mine has treestands and parts there of plus feeders and buckets with macerating deer skulls and such. He recommended swarm catching with swarm traps said his run 100 % catch with some multiple catches but he also has like 50 beehives in his backyard. Had a swarm trap in his front yard next to county road 12 feet up a big pine tree. Now my SIL's parents live across the street only 150 yards from his hives thinks maybe a good place for my first catch hive. Plan on freezing the open frames I was given then placing empty frames in a deep box with 1 empty used combed frame. He recommended a little SWARM lure or lemongrass on entrance and in box. Ratchet strapped together on a 10-12 foot ladderstand propped on a nice open tree. I can do about 5-6 of those hopefully to catch 1 or 2 to start. Not woodworking gifted and lack table saw(plus a cheapskate) so will try to use what I have to start. Funny thing my dad always had a 2 hives around and as a kid growing up helped him(when he ordered to) so thats where my current interest comes from. After dad died in 1990 and bees were absent for several years I got tired of seeing all his equipment just sitting in the shed so I GAVE IT ALL AWAY FOR FREE to cousins of bro in law that had bees. Wish I had kept the old 2 frame hand spinner. Any suggestions on swarm trapping would be appreciated as I'm as green as my buddies lime hair LOL
    Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 01-17-2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

@MdStrutnRut - Did you decide to dive in? Swarm trapping is actually a really fun way to go. I've built a few successful traps. Once I catch what I'm comfortable keeping in a particular yard, I sell any other catches as Nuc colonies.

If you decide to go that route, check youtube for examples. There are tons. One slight piece of advice would be to try to build the traps without spending any money. Do it on the cheap. Legit beekeeping equipment is not an inexpensive hobby. No sense in spending money on something that you can throw together with a couple of pallets.

This guy is making Nuc hives with scrapes. Traps would be the same concept, just a little deeper than what he's showing here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdR0nW2lOHc"]Cracker Pallet Hives - YouTube[/ame]

Other than what you have listed, a couple of other things I do:
      1. Torch the inside of the swarm trap. Just lightly browning with a cheap Bernzomatic hand torch.

2. I use the lemongrass method with a Q-tip in a sandwich bag in the trap.

3. I buy a small jar of raw honey and smear a little inside the trap. Just a very little bit smeared on the wall or on the top of an old frame. Raw honey is unfiltered and has little bits of propolis and wax bits floating in it. All more things that make the inside of your box smell better for scout bees.

Anyway, I really enjoy the hobby. I live in Kentucky, so things haven't ramped up here just yet (traps hung in March). I was in Ft. Worth and Austin over the weekend. I'd say that there are parts of Texas that are probably ready to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
        Anyone got all natural hive beetle treatment other than diatomaceous earth?
        Couple of my hives got really over ran with beetles this year in places I've never had a major issue. I've always just covered the ground in diatomaceous earth put hives in full sun and been good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about trying this:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9-DC8odtA"

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
          @MdStrutnRut - Did you decide to dive in? Swarm trapping is actually a really fun way to go. I've built a few successful traps. Once I catch what I'm comfortable keeping in a particular yard, I sell any other catches as Nuc colonies.

If you decide to go that route, check youtube for examples. There are tons. One slight piece of advice would be to try to build the traps without spending any money. Do it on the cheap. Legit beekeeping equipment is not an inexpensive hobby. No sense in spending money on something that you can throw together with a couple of pallets.

This guy is making Nuc hives with scrapes. Traps would be the same concept, just a little deeper than what he's showing here:

Cracker Pallet Hives - YouTube

Other than what you have listed, a couple of other things I do:
          1. Torch the inside of the swarm trap. Just lightly browning with a cheap Bernzomatic hand torch.

2. I use the lemongrass method with a Q-tip in a sandwich bag in the trap.

3. I buy a small jar of raw honey and smear a little inside the trap. Just a very little bit smeared on the wall or on the top of an old frame. Raw honey is unfiltered and has little bits of propolis and wax bits floating in it. All more things that make the inside of your box smell better for scout bees.

Anyway, I really enjoy the hobby. I live in Kentucky, so things haven't ramped up here just yet (traps hung in March). I was in Ft. Worth and Austin over the weekend. I'd say that there are parts of Texas that are probably ready to blow.
          Why do you put the Q-tip in a sandwich bag?

Does this work without old comb? I'm going to set my traps out this week. Never tried anything yet!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Does this work without old comb?
            I put the Q tip in the sandwich bag so it lasts a little bit longer, doesn't dry out as fast, and put it on the opposite side of the entrance. Poke a few holes in the bag, so the scent gets out. I like Swarm Commander spray, but its expensive.

I would use old comb as well in the swarm trap, as an additional 'lure in the water' so to speak.

Comment

Does this work without old comb? I'm going to set my traps out this week. Never tried anything yet!
              Swarm Commander from a Bee Supply or Amazon or something. It's a little pricey ($30/2 oz).

Another option is Lemongrass Oil. I got mine from my wife's stash. But the essential oils section at Whole Foods here in town sells it or you could get it online.

Comment

I've caught them without old comb.

Swarm trapping is just like fur trapping or hunting. There are hundreds of little variables that you can tweak to suit your needs. It all comes down to the swarm, though. They'll each like their own particulars.

The thought behind the old comb is a couple of things. One is the added scent. Bees love to live where others have lived in the past. Lots of "old-timer's" can tell you about that one bee tree on their property that always had bees in it. The other is that that allows for the queen to start laying fairly quickly. I've caught them both ways.

Comment

rswell2 I Had left shoulder replacement replaced Feb 1 after I broke it bowhunting tripping over briars in the dark so am little behind schedule. Have 3 deep boxes that had bees in them before ready to go as swarm traps with old frames in them but not drawn out. Froze the frames some had plastic foundation. Have some swarm lure in those little viles that you take a pin and poke a hole in and some lemongrass oil too. The raw honey smear sounds good too. Will put on a short 6-8 foot ladderstands that I can pull my pickup next to to load if successful. Want to build some nuc size swarm boxes or might cut an old deep in half to make a swarm/nuc box, the pallet idea is good as long as treated with the right chemicals and should be stamped on it. Have permission from some landowners near an apple/peach orchard that has their own bees and another near a commercial guy that has like 50 hives and loses some to swarms every year. Brother has a hollow walnut tree in his yard that has bees swarm to or from almost every year so will stick one there not sure how close to place right against tree or 50 yards away near a couple apple/peach trees he also has pecan trees and locust trees half mile away. Still looking for some comb and used old frames for swarm traps. I'm all in but on the CHEAP LOL No hurry and swarm trapping sounds kinda like hunting or trapping fun. Keep us updated on this years progress.

Comment

Heck yeah! That's awesome! I hope you'll post some updates as you catch them.

I posted a video previously of a guy building Nuc boxes out of old pallets, but it doesn't seem to be visible from my phone. The little "YouTube" button in my post didn't seem to work correctly.

I'll try again with a different video, but just add the link:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnZUFkTqWk"]Pallet Hives Tips & Tricks - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, I'm going to try to throw a bunch of these together to have on hand. I have trouble getting to our local-ish Dadant on those days that I really just need to have someplace to put bees. With wood as high as it's been, I figure this will help a little.

Good Luck!

Comment

I’ve got about 15 swarm traps ready to put out but limited on time so it’ll be mid March before they get set.

I don’t do ladders. Period. If I can’t back the truck up to it and work off the tailgate, it ain’t happening. Ladders and swarm traps is just asking for an accident.

Comment

Plus, swarm trap height is way down the list in bee hive priorities.
                        Cavity size
                        Cavity water tight
                        Opening size
                        … far outweigh height.
                        Properly set up with lure and only 8’ off the ground will do great.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                          I’ve got about 15 swarm traps ready to put out but limited on time so it’ll be mid March before they get set.

I don’t do ladders. Period. If I can’t back the truck up to it and work off the tailgate, it ain’t happening. Ladders and swarm traps is just asking for an accident.
                          I put all 8 of mine about 6-1/2 ft off the ground last year. Caught 6 swarms which is more than I usually need. I’m experimenting using 5 gallon buckets for swarm traps. If it works it’s really going to simplify my life lol !

Comment

Best way to prevent or reduce the chance of mites in a hive?

Getting our first hive in April. Wife is obsessed with mites.

Comment

Putting our traps out early March, over the last 5 years earliest we have caught is mid March, but gets much better by mid April, located in Tyler.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                Best way to prevent or reduce the chance of mites in a hive?

Getting our first hive in April. Wife is obsessed with mites.
                                I have never worried about mites and don't medicate for them.
                                The answer is "get mite-resistant bees".
                                My bees are a bit aggressive, but they make a lot of honey and they aren't bothered by mites, so it is a trade-off there.
                                A good passive defense for mites is a screened bottom board with some sticky paper under.

Comment

Working...
                                X