No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning on adding my second brood box on my two nucs. My question is should I keep feeding 1.1 since they have no drawn comb? Just foundation.

Comment

I don't think its ever a bad idea to NOT feed. If the Bees have no sources of pollen and nectar, of course feed.

I haven't fed mine for awhile, but we are 2 different locations.

Someone else with a little more know on the subject may chime in.

Comment

Been raining good here and will all week. Maybe a pollen Patty to

Comment

I don't do Pollen Patties, so that would be someone elses subject.

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
            Planning on adding my second brood box on my two nucs. My question is should I keep feeding 1.1 since they have no drawn comb? Just foundation.
            Yes, keep feeding until they’re not using it. I don’t like any of the patty type foods. It’s too easy to put too much in and doing so gives beetles a great source of food and a place to reproduce. 1:1 sugar water is all I use. That being said, there is more than one “ right way”.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                Yes, keep feeding until they’re not using it. I don’t like any of the patty type foods. It’s too easy to put too much in and doing so gives beetles a great source of food and a place to reproduce. 1:1 sugar water is all I use. That being said, there is more than one “ right way”.
                Yep, yep and yep. The "right" way is whats good for your Bees. Sometimes that's dictated by the area, region you live in.

Check out Hillary Kearney, good vids and reading material. She isn't a "this way" or your wrong kinda author. Plus she is cute.
                Another is Micheal Bush. Both of these authors lean to the "organic" way of beekeeping.

This is directed at you dxtbowhunter. Sorry, quoted the wrong dude.
                Last edited by lovemylegacy; 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  This happen to me. Took some bad advice on removing the present Queen cell. Well, the hive has killed the Queen I put in the hive, now no brood, I fear the hive is doomed. It appeared they took to her, they freed her from the cage, she was moving about freely. Now she is gone.
                  Well, once again I was wrong. Inspected the hive and there is now brood, larvae and eggs, where just a couple of weeks ago, nothing. I guess I missed the Queen. Yesss!!!
                  Last edited by lovemylegacy; 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Recovered a hive yesterday, would show pics but my wife CANNOT take a pic. Small hive, lots of bees. Got stung on the lip! Swolled up like a toad frog.

Comment

[QUOTE=lovemylegacy;14892760]Recovered a hive yesterday, would show pics but my wife CANNOT take a pic. Small hive, lots of bees. Got stung on the lip! Swolled up like a toad frog.[/H

You got stung, or the wife got stung? How’s that for Botox replacement therapy? Lol

Comment

[quote=Witchgrass;14892915]
                        Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        Recovered a hive yesterday, would show pics but my wife CANNOT take a pic. Small hive, lots of bees. Got stung on the lip! Swolled up like a toad frog.[/H

You got stung, or the wife got stung? How’s that for Botox replacement therapy? Lol
                        I got stung. looked like I had a huge dip.

Comment

saw some reports from various Facebook beekeeping peeps that some of their hives were blown over from the recent strong storms/winds. Anyone effected?

Comment

I have one bee yard where the hives are strapped down, all the others are not. Once was enough putting a hive back together that was blown over blown over. They can get a little testy!

Comment

the swarm we caught in early April has increased dramatically, added another super to the hive the other day to give them more room but they are still very defensive within 10 yds. Were very calm when we first got them. These were caught out in the country, looks they swarmed from a nearby tree cavity where we noticed a hive was active in.
                              We need to inspect to see if they're using the new super yet/building comb.

Comment

I found a big bee nest in a tree a couple weeks ago. No telling what they are but there is a big comb hanging off of it

Comment

Working...
                                X