Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a biggun!

Comment

It was! A lot of bees. Quite a bit of nectar, no honey, good amount of pollen. There was some empty comb at the top, very brittle, I had not seen that before.

I have a few more pics, but cant get them to load.

Comment

did you find the queen?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
          did you find the queen?
          Yes, we found her.

Comment

Man alive that’s a lot of bees.

Were they African?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
              Man alive that’s a lot of bees.

Were they African?

No sir, Italians I think. Very docile. Got stung one time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                No sir, Italians I think. Very docile. Got stung one time.

Oh good deal. I had a bunch of African start up at my place back in AZ.

Got rid of them pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                  Oh good deal. I had a bunch of African start up at my place back in AZ.

Got rid of them pronto.

Prolific honey makers, but man they are hard to work

Comment

Is anyone having an unusual swarm year this year in TX? I'm wondering if it might just be regional. I live in Kentucky and I follow a lot of Kentucky Bee related Facebook pages. For about the last 6 weeks there are a high number of posts from people having trouble keeping their bees in their boxes. If it were one or two beekeepers, I'd chalk it up to just space issues or something. But, the shear number of posts makes me think it must have to do with our weird weather this spring. Hot/Cold, Wet/Dry, repeat.

Comment

I think its an average year for us in SE Texas, but I am pretty new at this.

Checked my hives over the weekend, and one of my big hives was taken over by small hive beetles. This makes 2 that have bit the dust for me. My other hive is doing great, and added another honey super to it.

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
                        Is anyone having an unusual swarm year this year in TX? I'm wondering if it might just be regional. I live in Kentucky and I follow a lot of Kentucky Bee related Facebook pages. For about the last 6 weeks there are a high number of posts from people having trouble keeping their bees in their boxes. If it were one or two beekeepers, I'd chalk it up to just space issues or something. But, the shear number of posts makes me think it must have to do with our weird weather this spring. Hot/Cold, Wet/Dry, repeat.
                        Not so much this year I've only seen a couple and got no calls from folks. Last year was a boomer year I had calls all the way into July.

Comment

couple of our traps had small swarms in them
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	24617698

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	24617699

Comment

Nice!

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                                ^^^ I've heard those hives don't work like they should, and are pretty expensive.
                                I have 2 and they work. Bees took to them once the Brood box was close to being full. I have one Flow Hive that is almost ready to be capped. All frames are close to full.

Hog down, if you or anybody else on here would like to see pics and vids of it, just PM me and I will share what I got.

Comment

Working...
                                X