Vehicles, anything over 25 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    I had to pay taxes on $3500 for a non-running '96 Ford Ranger that was given to me.

I've never had to have a bill of sale, just the title and the form for title request. They always used the SRV calculator to get a value. About half way down and to the right on this link.
    https://www.txdmv.gov/
    Originally posted by 999 View Post
    For sales tax calculation on private party sales in Texas, they use a system to look up the value (I believe FMV) by VIN, and your sales tax is based on 80% of that value. That was regardless if I could have proved that I bought it for less than that.

The Bill of Sale for the older ones are likely do to the system not having to value cars that old, or not worth it especially considering the values swing more based on condition.
    Because the state was getting screwed out of YOUR money

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      It doesn’t have to be witnessed nor notarized.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
        Just a heads up vehicle over 25 years old is considered Antique now to registration and title change the vehicle, you have to have a Billis sale from the seller new change as of December 16, when I went to transfer title and register. I was told either a Billis sale or have it appraised. Changes every time you go in them places.
        False, I just registered my 51 year old car as a classic a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
          False, I just registered my 51 year old car as a classic a couple weeks ago.
          Not just registering a vehicle, trying to transfer a title to my name that i Just purchased a month ago.

Comment

Standard Presumptive Value:

Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed vehicle dealer are required to pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25 percent on the purchase price or standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

SPV applies wherever you buy the vehicle, in Texas or out of state. A vehicle's SPV is its worth based on similar sales in the Texas region. The Texas Legislature passed the law in 2009 to raise additional revenue to fund Texas schools. Black Book, the national guide that provides the values, uses an average wholesale used vehicle value based on Texas sales data. You can preview the full SPV of a used vehicle by entering the vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer reading (not needed for motorcycles) in the boxes below.

Of note:

If you paid less than the standard presumptive value for your vehicle, you may pay sales taxes on an appraisal amount provided it is certified by a licensed insurance adjuster or a licensed motor vehicle dealer; and obtained within 20 working days of the date of purchase.
            I do a few of these every year.

I just set the value at $465 on a Mercedes Sprinter Van that burned to the ground right after it was purchased and we needed to get the title transferred for insurance purposes so that it could be legally salvaged (scrapped).

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              Standard Presumptive Value:

Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed vehicle dealer are required to pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25 percent on the purchase price or standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

SPV applies wherever you buy the vehicle, in Texas or out of state. A vehicle's SPV is its worth based on similar sales in the Texas region. The Texas Legislature passed the law in 2009 to raise additional revenue to fund Texas schools. Black Book, the national guide that provides the values, uses an average wholesale used vehicle value based on Texas sales data. You can preview the full SPV of a used vehicle by entering the vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer reading (not needed for motorcycles) in the boxes below.

Of note:

I do a few of these every year.

I just set the value at $465 on a Mercedes Sprinter Van that burned to the ground right after it was purchased and we needed to get the title transferred for insurance purposes so that it could be legally salvaged (scrapped).
              Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                I had to pay taxes on $3500 for a non-running '96 Ford Ranger that was given to me.

I've never had to have a bill of sale, just the title and the form for title request. They always used the SRV calculator to get a value. About half way down and to the right on this link.
                https://www.txdmv.gov/
                should have waited another year.

Comment

Working...
                X