Exclusion Fencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusion Fencing

After putting up some fencing around my feeders and seeing deer on camera being a little apprehensive about just jumping in I saw this from A&M guys and fixed my issues. Who would have thought a few inches of height would make a difference.

So how high can you build them and still have an open shot to a does vitals from a ground blind?

Comment

I am going cut down to 28" or so on the shooting side. My ground blind is at a different grade anyway so I don't think its gonna come into play that much. Had thought about elevating my blind by about 2 feet or so with a platform but I believe I will be fine. Its a 30 - 35 yard shot so the arrow will probably arc over it pretty well. Will have to try and just wait for the right shot opportunity.

Comment

Have any of you fenced your feeders and seen an increase in deer numbers? A few of our spots have seen a decrease in deer numbers this year, and an increase in pigs...so I am definitely considering fencing them in.

Comment

I've been wanting to do this for years, but just never did.
          After having the javalinas run off a good buck on my boy this year, I'm definitely doing this to a few of the blinds, but still will leave one or two open for pigs/javalinas.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

34" hog panels have been working great for 20+ years. Minimum (10 ) panels.

Comment

I have not had any issues with the number of deer visiting my feeders that had a pen. I think some would say that older, more mature deer, might not come to the feeder with a pen around it, but that isnt always the case. Each deer is different. I will say that i did cut down several spots in my pen to allow fawn access and those access spots were where a majority of the deer entered. With that being said, if you have a certain spot you want deer to enter from to optimize you opportunity for a shot, I would only cut it down in 1 or 2 spots, that give you the best opportunity for the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                Have any of you fenced your feeders and seen an increase in deer numbers? A few of our spots have seen a decrease in deer numbers this year, and an increase in pigs...so I am definitely considering fencing them in.
                I've heard people talk about the two feeding together, but the deer don't like to mix with pigs on our place. We only have one feeder without a pen. It is in an area with a lot of deer traffic but we almost never see deer on that camera - only pigs. Instead of building a pen around it we decided to leave it as a dedicated pig feeder.

Comment

I worry about cows jumping a 34" panel...not for corn, but they might for protein...

Anyone have thoughts or personal experience there? Our cows now are pretty tame, the corrientes the last guy had would jump a fence like a deer.

Comment

In my neck of the woods in NE Texas when the pigs show to the feeders the deer say adios. They pretty much say adios anyway when the acorns start falling but the pigs only exacerbate the problem. The guys with the fencing in the same area seem to keep the deer's attention a little longer.

Comment

I’ve had aggressive cows go over the top of the lower panels. Donkeys will too. Others wouldn’t though. Guess it depends on the cows.

Comment

Fenced my feeder (East Texas). Same 5 deer (2 young bucks, 3 doe) in and out of it on camera. This has been the case for the last 8 months.

I did cut the top off the hog fence. The top is 28'' off the ground. Young fawn started making it over soon after.

Comment

I have heard of a cow jumping a hog panel but I have not had that happen. Or a hog get over one.

Comment

I fenced all of mine on three different places with hog panels. On one place, before I fenced the hogs were taking over. They would show up at feeding time and lay around for hours after eating all the corn. After I fenced them the deer were back in a couple weeks and the hogs, when they did show, would run a circle around the pen and leave. I’m a firm believer in the need to pen your feeders. All mine are 8 panels, 34” high and have no issues having 5/6 deer in them at the same time.

Comment

I don’t have a cow issue, but hogs.... and a few neighbors donkeys

I cut regular 50” panels in half and made mine 25”. 6 panels makes 12 and that’s what I used at protein station. Zero pig entry and deer where in it same day

I can’t get deer to jump a 32”... won’t do it

Comment

Working...
                              X