This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
    This isn’t about joe.... you’re right we’ll have a inexperienced qb, but the whole point I’m asking is who’s fault is it for his lack of growth. Are Ags memory that short i can go back to almost every week last year where multiple Ags were saying he sucked... now it’s the OL?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been pretty consistent in my defense of Mond, although I do think he let some big moments get to him last season. Feel free to prove otherwise.

And my point was about Joe. Going into last season, he was considered a solid quarterback with a lot of toughness and “moxy”, but was also inconsistent at times in his junior season. He substantially elevated his game from his junior to senior seasons. Was that a product of the system brought over by the PG coordinator? Did he get more help from receivers and time from his OL? Did an improved running game open things up for the passing game? I’m sure much of it was attributable to experience (although I believe you are likely correct that he had less game experience than Mond entering last season) and probably a stronger focus on his craft. I didn’t watch many LSU games last year, but he seemed to be extremely motivated going into the season (based in large part on the 2018 TAMU game?)

I don’t think Kellen will make that kind of leap, but he has shown flashes. Jimbo and staff publicly stated that he doesn’t like Mond to run because of the toll the hits take on the QB. With that philosophy, I’m not optimistic that he’ll “allow” Mond to run anymore next year, although I think Mond will have the ability to decide that on his own. It seems like something often changed late in games last season that made him and the offense more effective. I also think part of the hesitation was the fact that the backup was a true freshman. In limited game action, Calzada certainly didn’t look more poised or effective than Mond. He looked a lot like a true freshman playing QB in the SEC behind a sub-par line.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I’ve been pretty consistent in my defense of Mond, although I do think he let some big moments get to him last season. Feel free to prove otherwise.

And my point was about Joe. Going into last season, he was considered a solid quarterback with a lot of toughness and “moxy”, but was also inconsistent at times in his junior season. He substantially elevated his game from his junior to senior seasons. Was that a product of the system brought over by the PG coordinator? Did he get more help from receivers and time from his OL? Did an improved running game open things up for the passing game? I’m sure much of it was attributable to experience (although I believe you are likely correct that he had less game experience than Mond entering last season) and probably a stronger focus on his craft. I didn’t watch many LSU games last year, but he seemed to be extremely motivated going into the season (based in large part on the 2018 TAMU game?)

I don’t think Kellen will make that kind of leap, but he has shown flashes. Jimbo and staff publicly stated that he doesn’t like Mond to run because of the toll the hits take on the QB. With that philosophy, I’m not optimistic that he’ll “allow” Mond to run anymore next year, although I think Mond will have the ability to decide that on his own. It seems like something often changed late in games last season that made him and the offense more effective. I also think part of the hesitation was the fact that the backup was a true freshman. In limited game action, Calzada certainly didn’t look more poised or effective than Mond. He looked a lot like a true freshman playing QB in the SEC behind a sub-par line.

I think with Burrow, the system allowed him to show his skills and he was throwing to three NFL caliber wide receivers. LSU's line wasn't particularly good last year (but it is way better than the Aggies), but Burrow had a scheme that allowed him to get the ball out of his hand quickly and enough escapability to avoid the rush.

Mond is not going to have a line as good as LSU's, won't have a system that is very QB friendly, and won't have three WR's as good as LSU's.

Burrow made the biggest junior year to senior year jump in the history of college football, so that is not a realistic standard to hold anyone to.
      Last edited by El General; 02-07-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        Bama isn't on the Texas schedule yet, luckily for y'all.

7-1-1

[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
        And yet you have already prebooked avatar challenges!. This is unlike some fans of longtime SEC schools who seem to have lockjaw at various times during the season

Thanks BoB.

BTW Namath had to walk out of the end zone to give the ball to the Ref. And Akin or whoever the QB was on the 47 yd run was more out of bounds than Patrick Peterson was. But it’s in the record book so it’s official.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

Burrow made the biggest junior year to senior year jump in the history of college football, so that is not a realistic standard to hold anyone to.
          I said that...twice.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

So at what point does jimbo get heat for his lack of adapting, lack or player development, and or lack of talent being brought in to compete? Assuming the last 3 seasons rolls into monds SR season as well?

Comment

Bill Connelly's returning production for 2020.

Not all returning starters are the same. Here's a formula that breaks down which teams really have the most coming back in 2020.

Returning production for teams on Texas schedule

9) Oklahoma State

36) South Florida

52) Iowa State

64) TCU

66) West Virginia

76) Kansas State

81) Texas Tech

82) Oklahoma

107) Baylor (this is assuming Brewer can play)

125) Kansas

126) LSU

129) UTEP

Oklahoma State is going to be scary with their big 3 coming back. Their QB probably makes a big jump in year two.

Comment

So at what point does jimbo get heat for his lack of adapting, lack or player development, and or lack of talent being brought in to compete? Assuming the last 3 seasons rolls into monds SR season as well?

After year 3 if he returns 17 starters, a senior QB (That he inherited, didn't recruit) and doesn't win 10 games.

He's only had 2 full cycles as a HC to recruit talent, and he's landed our best back to back classes ever.

Mond was 2,897 yards for 20 TD 9 INT, 500 yards rushing with 8 TD. When we all say he "sucks", what we really mean as Fans is he's ok / good but he isn't great. You need a great QB to win in the SEC, unless you're Bama. You should know all about that considering Burrow = great his SR year, hence beat Bama and won a NC.

I realize LSU fans are salivating to point and say Fisher sucks, but you can hold up a year and let him get through year 3 then crow.

Comment

He started with Mond and Starkel. He has only Foster from his transition class and Calzada who was a true freshman last year. As much flack Mond catches, he still better than most of the qbs in the SEC. I'm not sure if Fromm was any better last season. Mond/Fisher beat LSU the previous season.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    After year 3 if he returns 17 starters, a senior QB (That he inherited, didn't recruit) and doesn't win 10 games.

He's only had 2 full cycles as a HC to recruit talent, and he's landed our best back to back classes ever.

Mond was 2,897 yards for 20 TD 9 INT, 500 yards rushing with 8 TD. When we all say he "sucks", what we really mean as Fans is he's ok / good but he isn't great. You need a great QB to win in the SEC, unless you're Bama. You should know all about that considering Burrow = great his SR year, hence beat Bama and won a NC.

I realize LSU fans are salivating to point and say Fisher sucks, but you can hold up a year and let him get through year 3 then crow.

Sorry guess it’s confusing when i see you slam your hands an say GD this MFR sucks!!! Every time he over throws someone or throws a pick so guess our “sucks” is different not salivating at anything I’m just bringing up how every year in season it’s mond sucks, post season it’s monds good enough, and exciting times? Just trying to understand how Ags can go from one extreme to the other...

Comment

Realistically there is likely to be some "chirping" if they don't have more than 8 wins again next season, but even in today's win now environment I don't think it's fair to fully judge a head coach after only 3 seasons (see Herman in Austin.) Again, Coach O and the Joes (Burrow/Brady) probably contributed to unrealistic expectations with the success they had in O's second season.

Jimbo has put up consecutive top-6ish (composite) ranked recruiting classes (following top-20 in transition year). Unfortunately on paper that still puts them behind Bama and Georgia and about on par with LSU and Auburn (and don't overlook Florida) in the SEC, but I think it's fair to expect them to be in the mix in the West next season based on talent and accumulated depth. As with most conference winners in most years, it'll probably take a player or two playing above expectations, along with a few breaks going their way to achieve it.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

2020 College Football - Off Season Discussion

Realistically there is likely to be some "chirping" if they don't have more than 8 wins again next season, but even in today's win now environment I don't think it's fair to fully judge a head coach after only 3 seasons (see Herman in Austin.) Again, Coach O and the Joes (Burrow/Brady) probably contributed to unrealistic expectations with the success they had in O's second season.

Jimbo has put up consecutive top-6ish (composite) ranked recruiting classes (following top-20 in transition year). Unfortunately on paper that still puts them behind Bama and Georgia and about on par with LSU and Auburn (and don't overlook Florida) in the SEC, but I think it's fair to expect them to be in the mix in the West next season based on talent and accumulated depth. As with most conference winners in most years, it'll probably take a player or two playing above expectations, along with a few breaks going their way to achieve it.

Absolutely i could see a 9-3 season with a bowl victory for us...week two will be a big test to dictate the outlook on the year we get through that we could hit 10-2....if I’m O I’m making Brennan throw at Dsting every pass from now till opener!

And I’ve said it before i think jimbo is a good coach however he seems to not be utilizing mond correctly, and i believe that along with the lack of his improvement deservedly warrants to be called out. Much like we do all other coaches i openly bashed les an his stubbornness.
                        Last edited by drop dead fred; 02-07-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Dabo's record . . 7 games to start and 6 seasons to win a championship . . It's a little early for Jimbo to be drastically changing things . . Mond ain't the best we ever had but he gives us the best chance to win . .

#fillthepipeline

Comment

2020 College Football - Off Season Discussion

Absolutely i could see a 9-3 season with a bowl victory for us...week two will be a big test to dictate the outlook on the year we get through that we could hit 10-2....if I’m O I’m making Brennan throw at Dsting every pass from now till opener!

And I’ve said it before i think jimbo is a good coach however he seems to not be utilizing mond correctly, and i believe that along with the lack of his improvement deservedly warrants to be called out. Much like we do all other coaches i openly bashed les an his stubbornness.

IMO it’s too early to label Jimbo as stubborn or even say there is lack of improvement. Most “experts” suggested last year the Ags could win only 8 games but still be an “improved” team. The loss to Auburn at home was a kick in the nuts, but the other games played out pretty much as expected with the tough roadies and home v Bama (again, thanks LSU for crushing “expectations.”)

Mond made some glaring mistakes in a couple of the high profile games, but those were compounded by dropped passes by receivers and the aforementioned Oline problems. As EG and others have stated, Oline is the hardest position to evaluate out of HS and typically longest to develop (physically and technique/cohesion), so to say after year 2 that the staff isn’t developing the talent probably is a bit unfair. The number 1 OG in the country in 2018 had some glaring missed assignments, as you might expect from a freshman OL starting in the SEC.

As for Mond, I will suggest he could remain at essentially the same level next season and the Ags could still potentially win 9 of their games (and dare I say possibly 11?) based on their OOC schedule and 2 of 3 highest profile conference games at Kyle. That’s certainly not a prediction, but I don’t think it’s that far fetched either.

FWIW, I see Ellinger and company in much the same position entering next season.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

IMO it’s too early to label Jimbo as stubborn or even say there is lack of improvement. Most “experts” suggested last year the Ags could win only 8 games but still be an “improved” team. The loss to Auburn at home was a kick in the nuts, but the other games played out pretty much as expected with the tough roadies and home v Bama (again, thanks LSU for crushing “expectations.”)

Mond made some glaring mistakes in a couple of the high profile games, but those were compounded by dropped passes by receivers and the aforementioned Oline problems. As EG and others have stated, Oline is the hardest position to evaluate out of HS and typically longest to develop (physically and technique/cohesion), so to say after year 2 that the staff isn’t developing the talent probably is a bit unfair. The number 1 OG in the country in 2018 had some glaring missed assignments, as you might expect from a freshman OL starting in the SEC.

As for Mond, I will suggest he could remain at essentially the same level next season and the Ags could still potentially win 9 of their games (and dare I say possibly 11?) based on their OOC schedule and 2 of 3 highest profile conference games at Kyle. That’s certainly not a prediction, but I don’t think it’s that far fetched either.

FWIW, I see Ellinger and company in much the same position entering next season.

Y’all are returning quite a few starters on offense correct? Is there any young guys that will maybe jump up into some of those wrs slots?

Comment

Bill Connelly's returning production for 2020.

Not all returning starters are the same. Here's a formula that breaks down which teams really have the most coming back in 2020.

Returning production for teams on Texas schedule

9) Oklahoma State

36) South Florida

52) Iowa State

64) TCU

66) West Virginia

76) Kansas State

81) Texas Tech

82) Oklahoma

107) Baylor (this is assuming Brewer can play)

125) Kansas

126) LSU

129) UTEP
                                LSU gets no props.

Comment

Working...
                                X