• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvd View Post
    You’re right. A&M boosters bought his first one
    Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
      You're right, TAMU bought the first one, SMU bought the second.

I'd have figured that Highland Park U would have gone for a Porshe or Mercedes.

At that time the ol Trans Am was the deal!!!

For the record-I did NOT drive a Trans Am!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
        Question:

How much money do you think the avg 4* recruits makes by choosing a school, and how much do you think a top 20’overall 5* gets paid?

I would think like 5-10k for an avg 4*?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Not every recruit is for sale or asking for money. You can typically tell the ones that are by the certain schools that play the game on their Top 5 or Top 10 list. Depending on each situation, schools may back off a player if it gets to public or they don't feel good about it.

If a money or gift transaction does go down, it is handled way down the line so the school, coach, and player are not in direct contact of the situation. Clemson is known for funneling money through a church gift to get to players families. To quote the great Ken Dabbs, "There's always an uncle."

I will honestly say in my 5 years with the program at Texas, I never saw money exchanged or heard about players receiving extraordinary benefits. I was really good friends with a lot of big name guys too, so I was around those guys a lot at practice, class, and outside the program. Those guys struggled to have money to go eat or to the bar just like all college students. Of course there was free food brought to the table and bar tabs picked up, but nothing like an envelope of money after a game like you hear stories about. I think it goes on less than you think, but it does go on.

The money has gotten so big in CFB, including coaching salaries so the pressure to win is greater than ever I think it has ramped up pay for play with recruits and their families. Even though its out there, it is separated from the school / coach so they are protected if something comes out. In the end the NCAA has no real power to do anything, so schools are getting more aggressive than ever in my opinion.

Comment

My dad worked for Cablevision in Waco when I was a kid. He told a story about working on the Baylor campus. He was at an offensive lineman's dorm/apt. The guy told him that he has a job mowing lawns but he hasn't cut a blade of grass in two years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            My dad worked for Cablevision in Waco when I was a kid. He told a story about working on the Baylor campus. He was at an offensive lineman's dorm/apt. The guy told him that he has a job mowing lawns but he hasn't cut a blade of grass in two years.

It's funny that we are talking about Trans Ams and TV repair men.

Comment

2020 College Football - Off Season Discussion

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

This went on all the time. Sometimes they got caught like OU and Big Red Imports. I don’t think it goes on now as it did before. I really don’t consider that to be a big deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                This went on all the time. Sometimes they got caught like OU and Big Red Imports. I don’t think it goes on now as it did before. I really don’t consider that to be a big deal though.

Huh that’s literally no different than handing them an envelope with cash lol

Comment

Their mom just gets a new house

Comment

Evans to TCU!

Good luck with him!

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                      Huh that’s literally no different than handing them an envelope with cash lol

I think it’s in line with picked up bar tabs. You are talking minimum wage jobs that are typically 15-20 hours a week max. In the grand scheme of big time cheating, a D1 athlete getting a perk like this does not bother me.
                      Last edited by Heath; 05-14-2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I think it’s in line with picked up bar tabs. You are talking minimum wage jobs that are typically 15-20 hours a week max. In the grand scheme of big time cheating, a D1 athlete getting a perk like this does not bother me.

Only thing about bar tabs food etc is no ones claiming you are working for it, when in fact you aren’t. In fact that’s more of a lie than just being a bro and picking up the tab. Idgad really but to say that’s not the equivalent of just handing them money is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Breaking News: President Lincoln was shot.......

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post

Lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post

You know that A&M last National Championship was closer in date to said presidential assassination than today. [emoji15]

Comment

You know that A&M last National Championship was closer in date to said presidential assassination than today. [emoji15]

Good googly gew!

Comment

Working...
                                X