No announcement yet.

Getting a Dog: Lab or Golden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an 8 year old black lab who sheds very little now, and only did a little when she was younger. I also have a 1 year old silver (yellow) lab that sheds so much you would swear she should be bald by now! Training is not hard, but must be consistent, even if it is only half an hour a day. The consistency must also extend to other family members and how they interact with the pup. My kids were 7 and 5 when we got the black lab, and I found it more difficult to train the pup with their "help". I used the methods found in "Water Dog" and "Family Dog" by Richard Wolters.

Good luck to you!

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
      How old are your kids?

10, 7, 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a Weimer , they a very loyal and fun breed dont shed..

Comment

We have 4 labs at our house and they are excellent family dogs. I brought one of our puppies back with me to Lubbock and so far she is doing excellent as well.

If you get a lab, stick with clicker training (or positive reinforcement training) to train them. They respond really well to it, and if you keep a little of their food out of the bowl when you feed them you can use it as the "treats" while training rather than getting other unhealthy treats while still feeding them the recommended amount.

I don't think you will go wrong with either breed. I have always liked Goldens and Labs, however I like the short hair of labs.

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
            I have an 8 year old black lab who sheds very little now, and only did a little when she was younger. I also have a 1 year old silver (yellow) lab that sheds so much you would swear she should be bald by now! Training is not hard, but must be consistent, even if it is only half an hour a day. The consistency must also extend to other family members and how they interact with the pup. My kids were 7 and 5 when we got the black lab, and I found it more difficult to train the pup with their "help". I used the methods found in "Water Dog" and "Family Dog" by Richard Wolters.

Good luck to you!

Todd
            I also "subscribe" to Richard Wolter's books you named above. Great methodology and common sense.

Comment

Both are good dogs, if you plan on taking it into the woods with you ever, I would recommend a lab as golden get sticker burs caught in them. They shed more then a lab to plus the hair is longer.

Comment

"Water Dog" is outstanding....HIGHLY recommend....

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  Except a Chessie
                  This made me laugh. But don't say it out loud. Chessie's are still a relatively stable breed. Nothing screws up a breed faster than popularity.

For those that keep piping up with Doodle, are you serious? Our neighbors are on their second one (so I only have a small sample). The first one was nice but DUMB AS A STUMP! The second one is very friendly but only slightly smarter than a stump. And they do shed. Just not as much.

I have never owned either a Lab or a Golden but have been around many. Both are wonderful. Great family dogs but I would give the edge to the Golden as a family dog. They seemed less likely to overly favor one member of the family. Also less likely to be hyper. Both shed like crazy but I also give the edge to Goldens as they don't seem to bother my allergies as much. Labs (and Chessies) just have a mustier smell. Part of what makes them such great water dogs.

Comment

I've had several labs and we have a yellow male that lives in the house now. He's a great hunting dog and an even better family dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                      This made me laugh. But don't say it out loud. Chessie's are still a relatively stable breed. Nothing screws up a breed faster than popularity.

For those that keep piping up with Doodle, are you serious? Our neighbors are on their second one (so I only have a small sample). The first one was nice but DUMB AS A STUMP! The second one is very friendly but only slightly smarter than a stump. And they do shed. Just not as much.

I have never owned either a Lab or a Golden but have been around many. Both are wonderful. Great family dogs but I would give the edge to the Golden as a family dog. They seemed less likely to overly favor one member of the family. Also less likely to be hyper. Both shed like crazy but I also give the edge to Goldens as they don't seem to bother my allergies as much. Labs (and Chessies) just have a mustier smell. Part of what makes them such great water dogs.

We have an 80lb golden doodle that’s smarter than the last 2 labs I had and was very easy to obedience training. Most I have been around are very intelligent but you have your exceptions. Glad you base your opinion on 2 individuals.

If it’s between a golden or a lab, I’d go with lab.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post

We have 2 goldendoodles, 1 full size & 1 mini. Both are the smartest dogs we've ever owned. As far as shedding a lot depends on what generation they are. Due to our families allergies towards dogs we needed an F1b generation which is a poodle bred to a goldendoodle. My F1b's do not shed. Like most breeds I'm sure there are bad apples out there, but thought I'd chime in about the 2 I have experience with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread is as bad as the others discussing/debating calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                            Get a Weimer , they a very loyal and fun breed dont shed..
                            Beautiful and athletic, had to wait for year 4 before ours was manageable. Wild one.

Comment

I always keep at least 2 dogs and I am without a lab for the first time in many years. When my Brandy dog passed the year before last my wife laid down the ultimatum about owning labs. She was tired of sweeping. Lab is a great breed but not if you are not committed to letting them run. The have big appetites and without proper exercise will get fat.

Newest dog is a field bred English Cocker Spaniel
                              about to add a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                                Glad you base your opinion on 2 individuals.
                                Well, what do you expect with a screen name like that...

Comment

Working...
                                X