No announcement yet.

Stop Using the Word “Gamey”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things are "fishy", some things are "gamey", some things taste like "liver", and it isn't how you handle it, but how well some can disguise or change the taste. If you are using seasoning, you are changing the flavor of the meat.....probably for a good reason.

Comment

Lemons are sour
      Strawberries are sweet
      Fish is fishy
      Wild Game is Gamey

Comment

How about skimmed?

Comment

I've been told I can hold my own in the culinary cooking, smoking and grilling world.........and there is **** that is still gamey to me. My taste buds are different than yours. I can deal with it...so should you..

I mean there are folks here who think armadillos, javelina, rattlebucket rams and aoudads are divine. I am not a fan because?....well you guessed it..

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            I like the gamey taste.

Sounds like someone was extremely bored to sit down and write an article/rant about people using the word “gamey”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            He should have gone with "cringe."

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I've been told I can hold my own in the culinary cooking, smoking and grilling world.........and there is **** that is still gamey to me. My taste buds are different than yours. I can deal with it...so should you..

I mean there are folks here who think armadillos, javelina, rattlebucket rams and aoudads are divine. I am not a fan because?....well you guessed it..
              You just don’t know how to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                Some things are "fishy", some things are "gamey", some things taste like "liver", and it isn't how you handle it, but how well some can disguise or change the taste. If you are using seasoning, you are changing the flavor of the meat.....probably for a good reason.

This is spot on......Disguising or covering up doesn't make one a better cook. It's makes them a better makeup artist. .

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  You just don’t know how to cook.

I can read directions on the microwaveable boxes just fine..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

I concur!

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                      Lemons are sour
                      Strawberries are sweet
                      Fish is fishy
                      Wild Game is Gamey
                      This is just proving some of what the writer was saying. The fact that something tastes like what it actually is, rather than something more familiar to our palate. Fish is not fishy. It tastes like fish. Some fish have almost no taste other than the taste we impart on it in prep/cooking. This would be considered “good” fish by a human, because it doesn’t really taste much like what it really is. Some fish actually has a flavor, a flavor of fish, and this typically gets labeled “fishy” by humans. It’s not fishy, it’s just fish that actually has the flavor of what it is.

Most humans expect red meat, of any kind, to taste like beef. Most store bought beef has a very mild flavor, if any at all. The beef flavors so many desire are derived from the way it’s seasoned and prepared.....not the actual meat itself. We humans have grown to prefer our flesh to have little to no taste and we prepare it to taste how we want it. If this wasn’t true, we wouldn’t use seasoning on anything. The same goes for pork. We have “bred out” almost all the flavor from store bought pork. Most people have no idea that fresh pork really isn’t white/light pink when raw. It’s NOT the “other white meat”.

Something tasting like what it is, isn’t bad. Just be honest and admit that the problem isn’t with the meat, it’s with the human eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                        This is just proving some of what the writer was saying. The fact that something tastes like what it actually is, rather than something more familiar to our palate. Fish is not fishy. It tastes like fish. Some fish have almost no taste other than the taste we impart on it in prep/cooking. This would be considered “good” fish by a human, because it doesn’t really taste much like what it really is. Some fish actually has a flavor, a flavor of fish, and this typically gets labeled “fishy” by humans. It’s not fishy, it’s just fish that actually has the flavor of what it is.

Most humans expect red meat, of any kind, to taste like beef. Most store bought beef has a very mild flavor, if any at all. The beef flavors so many desire are derived from the way it’s seasoned and prepared.....not the actual meat itself. We humans have grown to prefer our flesh to have little to no taste and we prepare it to taste how we want it. If this wasn’t true, we wouldn’t use seasoning on anything. The same goes for pork. We have “bred out” almost all the flavor from store bought pork. Most people have no idea that fresh pork really isn’t white/light pink when raw. It’s NOT the “other white meat”.

Something tasting like what it is, isn’t bad. Just be honest and admit that the problem isn’t with the meat, it’s with the human eating it.
                        Ok

Comment

I can't imagine writing so many words over something so inconsequential, I read the first and last paragraphs and wish I hadn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            Ok
                            Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post

That was my point "it is what it is" some like it some don't. Does not make the word bad..... some people use the word in a context as they don't like it.
                              The English language is full of word the mean different things depending on context.

Comment

someone spent a lot time writing an article that says basically nothing..

Comment

Working...
                                X