2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lnester View Post
    Yes, it's great until it gets too hot then it shrivel and dies. Best to plant in a pot then move it inside during summer.

Tomato plants. Everyone give some recommendations, please. I can grow cherry tomatoes but I have zero luck with big tomatoes. I've tried a bunch and every year they flower but don't yield fruit. Beefsteak, zero luck. Heirloom, no luck.
    If you are like me here in North Texas, we don't have a long enough growing season when planting a transplant from the store to the garden. It gets too hot for them to go to fruit. I think when temps overnight get to a certain temp (I forget what that exact temperature is), the plant won't produce as it is saving all its energy for the plant. I've tried for many years to get those palm full size tomatoes and get disappointed each year.
    Now, having up a shade cloth can help as I did that one year with some success.
    So if you can get one started indoors so it is pretty mature when you take it to the garden, that may help.

Comment

from memory which is a dangerous thing, the flowers are dudded unless the temps fall I think is roughly 72 degrees for just a little while to keep the process going which in Texas rules out several months. Heat impacts turning a flower to a fruit and we are Hot but variations exist. Heat of summer full sun it stops for lack of better word. But keep the plant healthy and a good variety will kick back in. I get tomatoes all summer but later July and all of August stinks. Tried moving container grown and little success so happy to get what I can out of the open garden. It never goes to zero with some quality watering etc.

Comment

Garden is in except for the peppers.
        I’ll get those planted when the seedlings get a little bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          Garden is in except for the peppers.
          I’ll get those planted when the seedlings get a little bigger.

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be planting mine Spring Break(middle of march) as always. Usually have to cover a time or three but its when my free time is to get it done. Didn't do any seedlings this year so it will be all transplants for tomatoes and peppers. I would expect a late freeze this year for all you farmers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              I'll be planting mine Spring Break(middle of march) as always. Usually have to cover a time or three but its when my free time is to get it done. Didn't do any seedlings this year so it will be all transplants for tomatoes and peppers. I would expect a late freeze this year for all you farmers out there.
              I feel like kapernick is trying to discuss and give gardening advise in this thread. You obviously lost a bet...how much longer do we have to stare at that crap?

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                I use Epsom as well with ok results. I tried many recommended variety of tomato and now will plant one and one only for a medium size delicious fruit. Early Girl by Bonnie. That is why I have one waiting inside for planting time. They are sold everywhere but sell out often so grabbed one early. Not sure if seeds can be obtained for those needing lots of plants. I am Georgetown, black clay, great home built soil slightly raised beds. Almost organic methods.

And I am typical Still loaded with maturing fruit in the fall so end up with plenty of fried green ones when that first freeze is on us.
                I loaded up with Early Girls this year, we will see how they do.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                  from memory which is a dangerous thing, the flowers are dudded unless the temps fall I think is roughly 72 degrees for just a little while to keep the process going which in Texas rules out several months. Heat impacts turning a flower to a fruit and we are Hot but variations exist. Heat of summer full sun it stops for lack of better word. But keep the plant healthy and a good variety will kick back in. I get tomatoes all summer but later July and all of August stinks. Tried moving container grown and little success so happy to get what I can out of the open garden. It never goes to zero with some quality watering etc.
                  I've heard that too, but here's where the theory falls flat. Why do cherry tomatoes continue to produce in the heat?

Also, in East Texas where it's just as hot, people tend to get great results all summer. Is it the shade from the pine curtain?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    I feel like kapernick is trying to discuss and give gardening advise in this thread. You obviously lost a bet...how much longer do we have to stare at that crap?
                    Beginning of May unfortunately

Pulling carrots daily. Lettuce, spinach, bunching onions all doing well. Strawberries starting to put on blooms. Cilantro and the rest of the herbs are going nuts. Some sort of fresh veggie with every meal right now!

Comment

Well, had hopes of turning over the garden plot this weekend, but this morning it was RAINING AGAIN!!! ...and supposed to rain off and on all day. Ain't lookin' good again this year for much of a garden... Got some molasses tubs I may try to start some peppers n 'maters in... wife and I sure do enjoy the "therapy" of working in the garden, but it ain't lookin' good...

Comment

I’m adding a little here and a little there. Didn’t start seeds this year, so I’m at the mercy of finding what I want to plant. Plan to keep peppers in pots until May, but tomatoes will to in the ground by end of March. Potatoes will go in soon as the ground dries after this rain. Hoping okra sprouts soon or I’ll have to pay for plants.

Comment

have taters planted in ground, will be adding tomotoes / peppers beans etc hopefully before end of month ... no raised beds all in the dirt.

Comment

Inester, my Sun Golds liked the heat and other than bugs liked em they did produce through very hot times so maybe not as touchy. Varieties vary so much today some bigger fruits may tolerate the warmest nights? My early girls seemed to flower and no fruit in the hootest times. Enough young ones to still pick all summer but a lag for July and August in making new ones upcoming. Same with other varieties I tried. Shade may very well help but as I read, the temp low somewhere around 70's just at night is required for many varieties to go from a flower to a fruit. I even potted in the past and moved into the garage for short times but to no avail. Once hot?

Comment

Potatoes are now up and leeks are looking very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody have any recommendations or advice for orange, lemon, or other citrus trees for the Houston area?

It's my first year gardening but my onions and potatoes are looking really good. They are in containers but I plan on building a raised bed garden for other stuff next week . I finally have time to try this and am really enjoying it!

Comment

Working...
                                X