2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
    Pear tree is pretty heavy and hope someone can use some. I am east side Georgetown. Good snackers, cobblers and canning if someone likes to do that. The damaged pears (many) become bait if I am lucky enough to hunt. I check the site random so replies may be delayed. I estimate 50 plus usable pears available. Unsure of variety. I meticulously keep records but lost this tree type. They are a semi hard sweet apple type. Medium to small.
    Tried to get a pic of the pears but I think too large so failed. If I find time, will reduce and post.

Comment

Ok got at least 2 pics
      Attached Files
      Last edited by toomuchsun; 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Wish I was closer. Pear butter is awesome!!! I was not happy when my neighbor cut his pear tree down

Comment

found a simple recipe for pear butter. Gonna make a small amount non canned. Just jarred refreigerated. I do not have any nutmeg so leaving it out.

Comment

Peppers are putting off more than we can consume so we knocked out a couple batches of jalapeño jelly with a few Serrano’s thrown in for alittle extra kick.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have ghost and scorpion that just won’t stop. They were potted plants from last year that I put in the garden in June. Banana pepper is a heavy yielder this year. My reapers didn’t fruit and eventually died, unfortunately.

Comment

Good lord Shootlow. Nice haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                  I have ghost and scorpion that just won’t stop. They were potted plants from last year that I put in the garden in June. Banana pepper is a heavy yielder this year. My reapers didn’t fruit and eventually died, unfortunately.

Nice! My ghost peppers are relentless, but my scorpion quit producing. Drops all it’s flowers. Looks healthy otherwise so I don’t know if it’s the heat or an issue with the soil. I’m going to keep it alive and try again next season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone doing a fall/winter garden?
                    Weve canned a ton of cucumbers and okra, tona 9f bags of grated zuchinni. My tomatoes never came on in the middle of summer, but now that the temps have dropped they are fixing to go nuts. Peppers are going crazy now.
                    Weve never done a fall garden but have 3 varieties of cabbage and broccoli, carrots, garlic, more spaghetti squash, pumpkins, lettuce going.

Comment

I am watering regular and have hundreds of blooms on tomato. Usually get some repeat for fall from my spring summer plants. Also been crazy as squash acted sick or died all season. I planted some zucchini late and actually picking a few. And peppers waited forever to produce. Both of those were odd compared to past years? Georgetown area.

Comment

I like having a fall garden as much as spring a lot less
                        bugs and disease to contend with.Planting cabbage
                        broccoli cauliflower onions a little later.Been taking care
                        of tomatoes from spring all summer new growth and blooms
                        now,need cooler nights.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                          Anyone doing a fall/winter garden?
                          Weve canned a ton of cucumbers and okra, tona 9f bags of grated zuchinni. My tomatoes never came on in the middle of summer, but now that the temps have dropped they are fixing to go nuts. Peppers are going crazy now.
                          Weve never done a fall garden but have 3 varieties of cabbage and broccoli, carrots, garlic, more spaghetti squash, pumpkins, lettuce going.
                          Believe it or not, the fall garden is my favorite type of garden. I love harvesting cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts, collard greens, beets and carrots. Less bugs and disease issues and less heat! Cant wait to plant my starts in a week.

Comment

Squash, brocolli, and cauliflower are in. Snow peas just came up. Seeded lettuce and spinach this morning. Bunching onions are going strong. Malabar spinach is out of control as well as all of the peppers. Garlic and onions will go in a bit later.

Comment

Tomatoes and butternut squash are going wild, Green beans and poblanos are starting, it's been a good year.
                              Last edited by LOC4L; 09-18-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

It was a good summer for me and my garden. My big takeaway is that I simply can not win against the squash bugs in my area. Plan on clearing out the garden this weekend and getting it ready for the fall.

Question: I did plant carrots, radishes and beets a month ago to get a head start and not one single seed has surfaced last I checked yesterday? Do I re-seed the garden....or are the seeds just waiting for cooler temps? It was quite a bit so I would hate to re-seed if those little buggers are still good.

Comment

Working...
                                X