X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maters

Comment

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
      Question for you folks with raised garden beds. I have picked up some 2x6 untreated pine and was going to go three high as the soil in Austin is horrible. I am struggling on where to put my beds. I was going to ask some of y'all who have them on the side of your houses if they get enough sun? And also if the 16.5 inches is overkill with the three 2x6's stacked. I plan to build them 2' by 6' and 16.5 inches high and have up to 3 of them on my sides of my house. Note: I live in a subdivision with houses on both sides.

I will probably start with organic filler material, then 50/50 organic compost, and garden soil blend from a dirt yard in Buda. They will fill my bed of my truck with a half yard of each for $45. I have always had flower gardens and planted with my mom but this will be my first crack at vegetable gardening. I like being in the yard and so do my kids. They love the idea of a vegetable garden(s) to take care of so I figured why not.

Lastly, what can we plant this late? I plan on buying plants that are already started from the Natural Gardener, Lowe's, or Home Depot. Bonnie Plants maybe since I have procrastinated this long.

Thanks in advance.
      If you go 16.5", you don't need to fill it up all the way.

If I were you, I'd build my beds, put 6-10" of compost in there, and then 3" of good wood chip mulch and let it sit until it is time for fall tomatoes. You can probably plant peppers still. Okra and eggplant also like the heat.

For nearly any vegetable, you are going to want full sun, which I think would be difficult on the side of your house.

Comment

I read that vegetables would want full sun but we get long hot sunny days in Texas. Thought I would be doing better on the side yard okay. Maybe I'll do some 4x4 beds in the middle of the yard.

Comment

I read that vegetables would want full sun but we get long hot sunny days in Texas. Thought I would be doing better on the side yard okay. Maybe I'll do some 4x4 beds in the middle of the yard.
          Take this with a grain of salt as I am a rookie at gardening...

I placed my garden to get shade at approximately 04:00 and still had to get a shade cloth over it to keep the plants from wilting over every afternoon.

Comment

You need full sun so the veggies get the photosynthesis that they need. However, if they can get afternoon shade that will help but in the hottest part of the summer using shade cloth does help.

Comment

Yellows coming good, but zucchini are slim pickings as plants didn’t germinate this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pepper ID please!! Bought two plants that were labeled as serrano... these are not Serranos....
                Attached Files

Comment

How long will it take for me to get a ripe tomato? I started late. One is beefmaster and the other is Brandy man.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in the “in between” stage. Some veggies are doing good, and some are holding. Not gonna be a great year, but not gonna be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Pepper ID please!! Bought two plants that were labeled as serrano... these are not Serranos....
                      Almost looks like Shi****o peppers

Comment

Originally posted by Grittydog View Post
                        How long will it take for me to get a ripe tomato? I started late. One is beefmaster and the other is Brandy man.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
                        I got one of each of those that have been in the ground for 10 weeks. I think I have picked two total, but I have a bunch of big tomatoes that should ripen in the next week.

Comment

Pics for rocky
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

Yup , I planted one this year. Actually really good peppers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              My peppers don’t look like that, but I also bought a Serrano that isn’t a Serrano.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                That's the same conclusion I came to. What can you tell me on taste of said peppers?

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                                Yup , I planted one this year. Actually really good peppers!
                                I read these peppers are supposed to be on the mild side and have a sweet taste to them. Haven't tried one yet. What do you do with them??

Comment

Working...
                                X