2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    I'm there with you here in North Texas. Got plants in just a month ago. The soil is just starting to warm up to get them going. First a couple weeks ago did nip some of the leaves and killed one tomato plant.
    On another note, I did a self wicking "tub" today. I know most would do it in a 30 gallon tub (usually the ones you feed protein to farm animals out of) but not me. I found this Koi pond curbside a few weeks ago that had a 5" crack in it that was easily repaired.
    Wife wanted a herb garden right off the patio so hopefully this works. Cuts down on the amount of watering needed since that always seems to kill her herbs.
    Going to work on the exterior hopefully tomorrow. I'm thinking of going with picket fencing that I have around the barn or metal ton roofing material. Haven't decided yet.
    Got the exterior done today. Pretty impressed with myself.

Comment

Tilled my whole garden today for weed control. The Democrats are checking out my work. They need to eat ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        Tilled my whole garden today for weed control. The Democrats are checking out my work. They need to eat ya know.
        I've gone to a no till, deep mulch garden for better weed control. Plus it helps with moisture control too.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
          I've gone to a no till, deep mulch garden for better weed control. Plus it helps with moisture control too.
          Good deal

Comment

Finally got the garden going. My daughter turned 2 last week and this was her first time helping and the first garden at our new place. She was excited about “her plants and her dirt”

Needs a top dressing of compost and mulch but it’ll do for her to see some progress. Just a couple green bean plants, cantaloupe, red bell pepper and green bell peppers for now. Wife’s lemon tree got root rot and died last year so on the hunt for a meyer to replace it.

Just need to get the fence fixed up and we’re in business. This years garden is more on getting pretty flowers and butterflies than what I normally plant but I’m out numbered
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              Finally got the garden going. My daughter turned 2 last week and this was her first time helping and the first garden at our new place. She was excited about “her plants and her dirt”

Needs a top dressing of compost and mulch but it’ll do for her to see some progress. Just a couple green bean plants, cantaloupe, red bell pepper and green bell peppers for now. Wife’s lemon tree got root rot and died last year so on the hunt for a meyer to replace it.

Just need to get the fence fixed up and we’re in business. This years garden is more on getting pretty flowers and butterflies than what I normally plant but I’m out numbered
              She is a cutie pie. Live it up! They grow up too fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                She is a cutie pie. Live it up! They grow up too fast!
                Thanks. I lost the argument pretty quick when I told her we were planting vegetables for us to eat, the response of “no, butterflies please” was hard to counter.

Comment

Thanks. I lost the argument pretty quick when I told her we were planting vegetables for us to eat, the response of “no, butterflies please” was hard to counter.

Comment

Pic for Rocky.

Curious as to how much deer will mess with a garden ? for those gardeners out in the sticks??
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! The munchkin Gardner honing her green thumb early

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Pic for Rocky.

Curious as to how much deer will mess with a garden ? for those gardeners out in the sticks??
                        They’ll eat it down to the ground. That’s a 2 row , 3 stand electric fence spaced 30” apart. They try to get close to the taller 2 strands on the inside, but get hit by the middle height outside strand. Have not had a deer get in the garden since I put it up. We have to take a stand against the Democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Pic for Rocky.

I ended up putting a fence with hot wire 7’ tall. Didn’t electrify it but something they don’t want to jump as my 4’ chainlink was to easy. They will eat all the squash leaves one day and the stems the next. They cleaned me out in 3 days and now with the fence haven’t had issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wabbits and Turtles and squirrels and even hungry wanderers, 2 legged kind. What we do to eat fresh vegis. I think central tx deer would stand up to a rottweiler and pit bull for a bite.

Comment

Planted seed potatoes on 2-15.
                              Excellent. There is no doubt: Store-bought potatoes are different. They must do something to them that changes the texture.

Comment

Oh and be sure your neighbor is watching out for you. He courtesy asked me if was doing some watering? I said yes? He asked again? I walked out to see I am flooding his yard and feeding the thirsty street. Man I hate it when that happens! Next time I hope he just says, imbecile please turn off the water!

Comment

Working...
                                X