2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
    What is the latest you can start corn? We had a bad storm and destroyed most of my corn. First year trying it. I would like to pull them up and restart but not sure if it is too late.

Replant! Plenty of time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my first habanero this morning. He was just a little guy, but he lit me up! Thai, ghost, and red savina sprouts are finally soaking up the nutrients and beginning to take off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have an idea why my plants are turning yellow? I'm trying the square foot garden and mixed the soil per the instructions and have now also added some miracle grow granular fertilizer but the plants don't seem to be getting very big and continue to turn yellow.

Under watering? Over Watering? incorrect nutrient?
        Attached Files

Comment

Im done planting,
          35' of Black Diamonds
          1-40' row sweet peas
          2-60' rows of Cucumbers on trellis
          3- dozen mixed tomatoes
          2- 75' rows of Red Potatoes, should be pulling all up in 2-3 weeks
          2- 75' rows yellow wx beans
          2- 75' rows green beans
          1-75' row each of Crook neck and Zucchini
          and my 75' row of okra sprouted this week

Kids are anxious to pick, and wifes ready to start canning........

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            Anyone have an idea why my plants are turning yellow? I'm trying the square foot garden and mixed the soil per the instructions and have now also added some miracle grow granular fertilizer but the plants don't seem to be getting very big and continue to turn yellow.

Under watering? Over Watering? incorrect nutrient?

Looks like too much fertilizer. Did you get a lot of rain this week? Could be that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Young plants can’t handle the nutrient level that a mature healthy plant can. I’ve made the same mistake, it’s tough to let them do their think. When they are growing rapidly it’s time to add fertilizer.

Comment

Onion success
                Attached Files

Comment

Potatoes too
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gandergitter View Post
                    Im done planting,
                    35' of Black Diamonds
                    1-40' row sweet peas
                    2-60' rows of Cucumbers on trellis
                    3- dozen mixed tomatoes
                    2- 75' rows of Red Potatoes, should be pulling all up in 2-3 weeks
                    2- 75' rows yellow wx beans
                    2- 75' rows green beans
                    1-75' row each of Crook neck and Zucchini
                    and my 75' row of okra sprouted this week

Kids are anxious to pick, and wifes ready to start canning........
                    are your cucumbers slicers or pickling? I need a proven pickle recipe. For okra too. Love pickled okra

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                      Young plants can’t handle the nutrient level that a mature healthy plant can. I’ve made the same mistake, it’s tough to let them do their think. When they are growing rapidly it’s time to add fertilizer.
                      Well dang. what do I do to fix this. 2 days ago I added the fertilizer thinking they needed some fertilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        No I just planted them in some gardening soil I purchased by the truckload at our local Living Earth soil center. I will slow down with the watering as well. per other comments.

When you buy "garden soil" from those folks be sure and ask for "veggy garden soil"... They mix it different than soil for flower gardens... don't have a clue what the difference is, but I did that a few years back and my garden didn't do worth a flip... put flower garden dirt in instead of veggy garden dirt...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          are your cucumbers slicers or pickling? I need a proven pickle recipe. For okra too. Love pickled okra
                          We plant Boston picklers and use a couple different recipes. One is her Grandmas polish recipe. Theyre to sweet for my taste, but the family loves them and we usually have plenty. I like a spicy garlic dill so I just throw a jalapeno or chili pequin and with 4-5 garlic cloves in with the dill recipe. The jalapeno will light you up.

Comment

I didn’t do a whole lot this year...

I ended up with
                            11 cherry tomato plants,
                            3 sweet peppers
                            6 ghost peppers
                            6 Anaheim peppers
                            6 bell peppers
                            Couple dozen garlic
                            about 8 square feet of carrots
                            And lots of lettuce, kale, and chards.

It is all mixed in with other plantings in the flower beds... lettuce between oak seedlings, tomatoes between peonies, peppers mixed in with hummingbird flowers... kinda hodgepodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I was finally able to break up a small plot and till it real good last week... Then Sunday night, it looked like a crawfish pond after all the rain!! If it dries back out this week, I'm gonna turn it over once more, fertilize and make my bride some rows so she can plant peas and okra and maybe a few squash.. Will have to buy plants this late but it would beat nothing, which is what we wound up with last year because of all the rain...

Comment

Today we added 15-5 gallon bucket planters to our little garden. If things stay shut down too much longer at least we will have fresh produce when the grocery stores won’t.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X