No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap strips of aluminum foil from the soil to about 6-12 inches up around the stalk of squash plant to keep the borders out.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
      Wrap strips of aluminum foil from the soil to about 6-12 inches up around the stalk of squash plant to keep the borders out.
      Interesting, I'll give that a try

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I think we are talking about the same bug. They get in base of vine just as the squash is looking awesome. Some years I get them ., some not. I'll inject BT and try different things but they are a pain
        Yes, they are the same thing under 2 different names. I just try to plant more than I need in hopes some make it through. I throw out all organic gardening on squash and zucchini. Straight up with Sevin and I go on the offense before I even see those little *******s.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          Thanks for the tip. May try that this fall.

Comment

I’ve got these watermelon seeds coming up. When do I transplant to bigger containers. And when I do it, he much of the stalk do I bury?? They seem extremely tall and unstable. Lol

Obviously my first time doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I decided to add herbs to the garden. Due to time constraints, I used various containers this year.
              Rosemary, chives, basil, oregano, cilantro, dill, and chives. A couple of plants. Mostly from seeds. Planted okra in the raised beds too. Looking pretty good. Picking around 6-8 asparagus spears a day now.

Comment

We got hammered with crazy wind and rain. Flipped our chicken coop and chickens all over. My daughter let out a scream of horror because she loves them so much. We had to run out and collect wet stinky chicks and bring them in put back under heat lamps till it blew over.

The garden needs lots of new replacement plants now too. This wind on the hill really is wild.

Comment

For container gardening.....will 3 gallons pots work for pepper plants? Or will it need to be 5 gallon for optimum growth? (Bell Peppers)

Comment

Started these guys from seeds. 4 red savina habaneros, 3 ghost peppers, 4 Thai, 1 orange habanero, and 2 jalapeño. I think the starter tray must have gotten washed out of nutrients, because growth stalled. Transferred them to these long planters with new miracle gro soil, and one of the red savings went into shock. Will try to baby them along!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Storms knock down my main tomato. I only grow one (or 2) and can never eat enough and end up sharing (good thing) and freezing for beans etc. Staked it up and looking very good. Everything else seems struggling including peppers. Started too early with squash. Several attempts and only one from seed. Green beans looking superb! Georgetown.
                      I tried several herbs but no going there this year except added a Rosemary for year round. Prior: Basil went nuts. Thyme did fair. Tried herbal onion type and a few others (can not remember) Nope. Not much herbs for us!
                      Container I am no good. Worthless actually. My flowers and pretty stuff flourishes. My food want Mother Earth. I used 5 gallon, drilled, gravel in bottom. Semi sandy good dirt. Plants grew but the ones in ground did So much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        For container gardening.....will 3 gallons pots work for pepper plants? Or will it need to be 5 gallon for optimum growth? (Bell Peppers)
                        3 gallon pots are fine. I use them for my banana peppers every year. Most of my bells go in bigger pots but I have grown them in the smaller ones before without any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                          3 gallon pots are fine. I use them for my banana peppers every year. Most of my bells go in bigger pots but I have grown them in the smaller ones before without any issue.
                          I tried bells. Little luck which is a common comment for Texas growers. but can be done as you say. Gypsy peppers or easy to find and do very well. Between banana peps and bells. And yellow orange green and best flavor at orange/red all pending how long on the bush. I did grow some hybrid hot Bells for a few years but have not found them for last couple years. Those did awesome, warm, not on fire and Very tasty. Sweet peppers (banana type) always do ok to extra good. Trying Burpees long variety multi color. Will report results! Fun. food is always fun. Along with a cigar (I quit, but can dream) and a cold something.

Comment

Alright per this thread i started pole beans. What going on here? What can i do? I am breaking my oath and will to go chemical to resolve.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Alright per this thread i started pole beans. What going on here? What can i do? I am breaking my oath and will to go chemical to resolve.

Looks like a fungus to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hard a frost warning 2 nights ago and since I expanded my garden I don't have enough old sheets for cover and it was always a pain in the arse to deal with. So, I experimented with leaves. I had a huge pile that I had picked up from a neighborhood that had them laying in trash bags ready for pick up the next day. I was getting them for mulch and compost.
                                Anyways, 3 wheel barrows full and it covered all the plants. 2 of the larger tomato plants I covered with buckets. Worked like a charm. Went out yesterday morning and uncovered every plant and not a single leaf on the plants were harmed.
                                However, it was to be warmer last night and the two bigger tomato plants got a little frost bite on a couple of leaves. At least I'm not having to replant my entire garden like I have in the past when I get too anxious and plant at the end of March, rather than waiting till the middle of April.

Comment

Working...
                                X