Rifle Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Storage?

If you dont have a gun safe, how do you guys store your rifles in the off season?
    Soft sided gun case?
    Hard sided gun case?
    Open gun rack?
    Stand in the corner of the closet?
    Gun cabinet?
    Just wondering because I was reading somewhere that said not to store them in the cases. Seemed weird to me.

They need to breath. Never in a case. Hard learned lesson from Mr. Rust.

Comment

My guess would be possible moisture build up in certain cases.

Got to have a gun safe. Cheap investment and peace of mind.

Comment

Storing in a soft case can promote rust formation because of trapped moisture that doesn't evaporate. IMO if you occasionally take it out and apply a light coat of oil that can be prevented.I don't have a safe, just a locking gun cabinet - one of those inexpensive ones made by Homack with the two barrel locks. It is bolted to the wall in the corner of a closet and situated where you cant easily get a pry bar in the door. It will only deter a casual thief - an angle grinder will get you in pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
          If you dont have a gun safe, how do you guys store your rifles in the off season?
          Soft sided gun case?
          Hard sided gun case?
          Open gun rack?
          Stand in the corner of the closet?
          Gun cabinet?
          Just wondering because I was reading somewhere that said not to store them in the cases. Seemed weird to me.
          If you don't keep them well oiled in a gun case they will rust if there any moisture in there. I keep mine in a glass gun rack with doors and keep then oiled with rem oil with no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            They need to breath. Never in a case. Hard learned lesson from Mr. Rust.
            Truth...….……..

Comment

Gun cabinet.

Comment

Before I had a safe I stored in hardcases with silica bags inside the case. Cases were stored in the return air behind the filter.

Comment

some are in hard cases and some in soft cases, all in corner of closet. Been doing it like that 30 years and never had any rust issues. Rust takes moisture and oxygen, I have never put any up wet

Comment

Ive kept mine in the soft case in the closet for many years and no rust. But I heard someone say today that they never leave their guns stored in the case. As a matter of fact, this person said they dont have a safe or a cabinet, so they lean them in the corner of the closet.

Comment

Store them in a Silicone Gun Sock and start saving for a safe.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                        Store them in a Silicone Gun Sock and start saving for a safe.
                        You mean gun condom?

Comment

I clean and oil my rifles and put them in a soft sided gun case and lean in the corner of my closet. Never has an issue with rust. Been doing it that way 40+ years.

Comment

Soft case is fine. Just go online and get you some VCI bag....Zerust makes some good ones. Put them in the bag and put the whole thing in the soft case. They won't rust as long as you are alive. The bags are cheap.

Comment

Sell one or two and get a good gun safe. Hate to see some one loose all of them to a sorry arse! Not fun to come home to No guns.

Comment

Working...
                              X