Quartered deer on ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Keep yo meat out of the water y'all. Your grandfathers didn't know any better.
    My grandfather is about 90. Whats the prob?

Comment

Really

Originally posted by TX_DReezen View Post
      Thought one reason of having it IN water is to help drain the blood out of everything? That’s how I was taught at least!
      People don't do this with beef?
      You can soak venison in milk and pull blood out quick if that is your goal.
      I don't like waterlogged, pastie white meat.

Comment

Nice

[QUOTE
        I put my meat in sterile plastic bags and pack it in ice chests for at least 10 days, and prefer 2 weeks before doing anything to it.

As a kid growing up it was always a treat to have it at deer camp as part of the tradition, but the best tasting and tenderest meat is always AFTER aging.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get sterile bags? I'm interested in using.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
          People don't do this with beef?
          You can soak venison in milk and pull blood out quick if that is your goal.
          I don't like waterlogged, pastie white meat.
          You are used to buying steroid injected 'red' meat from the grocery.

Comment

Mine ride the cooler for at least 7 days. Sometimes they make it 2 weeks. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
              [QUOTE
              I put my meat in sterile plastic bags and pack it in ice chests for at least 10 days, and prefer 2 weeks before doing anything to it.

As a kid growing up it was always a treat to have it at deer camp as part of the tradition, but the best tasting and tenderest meat is always AFTER aging.
              Where do you get sterile bags? I'm interested in using.[/QUOTE]

Best bags are those giant Zip Loc bags. You can actually reuse them if you don't poke holes in 'em. You can also buy those heavy duty contractors trash bags that don't have that anti-odor chemical added to them.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Best bags are those giant Zip Loc bags. You can actually reuse them if you don't poke holes in 'em. You can also buy those heavy duty contractors trash bags that don't have that anti-odor chemical added to them.[/QUOTE]

I've used contractor bags before, and will do so again. I can't stand the ones with Fabreezie in my office, smells like canary poop to me. I'll check out the giant ziploc too. Steady, Dozier

Comment

soaking in water ruins the meat in my opinion. Keep it dry and cold, will last a couple weeks at least. To the OP, smell it, if it smells ok I’d process as normal.

Comment

I hold mine between 5-7 days on drained ice.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      You are used to buying steroid injected 'red' meat from the grocery.
                      It's also possible he doesn't like pasty white waterlogged meat.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have gone 3 weeks more than once with no issues. Well iced and drained.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Best bags are those giant Zip Loc bags. You can actually reuse them if you don't poke holes in 'em. You can also buy those heavy duty contractors trash bags that don't have that anti-odor chemical added to them.[/QUOTE]

Ice bags work good

Comment

Quartered deer on ICE

The problem with water is although it is cold, it harbors bacteria growth. That is why hair will slip on a cape of it gets wet even if kept cold. No problem with keeping deer meat on ice a while but have to drain often. I go as far when I can as to buy a few bags of ice and keep them in the freezer then when it’s time to add ice to my meat the ice is as frozen and cold as it possibly can be. Way more frozen than when you take it out of the bin at the store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maintained temp is the key whether iced or in a facility. High dollar aged steak (beef) Pro Chef cooked has spent substantial time aging under temp controls. I have read meats age and continue to break down in a good way (with limits) even frozen. I make ice in capped orange juice containers so mostly dry! I have processed every deer I was privileged to put in my freezer and on the table which were many. Before freezing, I add just enough water to the freezer bags to fill voids, than Squeeze all air out, seal and no freezer burn. That does not steal from flavor but keeps it. I try to be quartered and iced down very quickly after harvesting (in an hour or so if possible). The hide oils can add some Not so good flavor if left attached too long in some opinions (mine included). No pro. Just me.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                My grandfather is about 90. Whats the prob?

Nobody said soaking your meat in ice water would cause you to die young

It's just not the best way to take care of any meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X