No announcement yet.

Crappie thread 2020!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My college age son needs some advise guys, after the crappie get together he got the bug bad, sold his mud boat and this weekend got himself a good little fishing rig.

He is now on the search for affordable electronics that will help him find fish. Academy is running a good sale on Lorance Hook 9s.

Is this a good entry level unit for his bow or are there better suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      My college age son needs some advise guys, after the crappie get together he got the bug bad, sold his mud boat and this weekend got himself a good little fishing rig.

He is now on the search for affordable electronics that will help him find fish. Academy is running a good sale on Lorance Hook 9s.

Check bb&g marine. And call for pricing. He smoked bass pro when I bought my helix

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a sickness that only gets worse! Imagine if we went to a good lake!

I would look for a used HDS Gen 2 or 3 before I got a hook. So many folks upgrading you can get a 9 or 12 cheap enough and use it for SI. I would eventually link it to another unit on the bow and then add a spotlock TM and a Garmin with Livescope. Probably just doubled the price of his boat there!

Comment

Kept 20 Sunday morning. Threw back a good bit of small fish. It slowed down a lot this weekend compared to what it had been at my camp here in Louisiana.
          Attached Files

Comment

Good choice on hulls. I love my 1648 G3 river jon.

Comment

I have hook 5 and 10 on my party barge. I honestly hate them. Screens are often messed up, depth glitches all the time and neither of mine has gps. You can find similar priced depth finders that include gps. I wish I had done more research before I bought mine.

Comment

Agree on avoiding the Hooks at retail price. Better off finding a good used 9 inch with side imaging. I paid $450 for my garmin 93sv and it is livescope compatible and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                  It's a sickness that only gets worse! Imagine if we went to a good lake!

I would look for a used HDS Gen 2 or 3 before I got a hook. So many folks upgrading you can get a 9 or 12 cheap enough and use it for SI. I would eventually link it to another unit on the bow and then add a spotlock TM and a Garmin with Livescope. Probably just doubled the price of his boat there!

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  Agree on avoiding the Hooks at retail price. Better off finding a good used 9 inch with side imaging. I paid $450 for my garmin 93sv and it is livescope compatible and easy to use.

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                  I have hook 5 and 10 on my party barge. I honestly hate them. Screens are often messed up, depth glitches all the time and neither of mine has gps. You can find similar priced depth finders that include gps. I wish I had done more research before I bought mine.

Thanks for the pointers guys, if y’all see anything out there let me know or please throw out sites to search or keep an eye on m

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Good choice on hulls. I love my 1648 G3 river jon.

I think it’s a good fit for him, he had been looking at older bass boats but I like this better and it will be more affordable to fix

Comment

I think it’s a good fit for him, he had been looking at older bass boats but I like this better and it will be more affordable to fix
                      here is a nice older bird graph that may be budget friendly. has side imaging. these models sell fast on TFF so may have to grab one quick when it gets posted.

Comment

Paul brought his 2 grand daughters today on Palestine and they managed 42 before the heat and the popsicles were calling our names! Small hand Tied jigs on Limits Tackle heads and the Jenkos put them in the boat today. We tipped the jigs with cut minnow pieces. They had several throwbacks. Some catfish. Bream and bar fish as well. They hung in there for 4 hours. I need them to tell my daughter their secret! She reels in 2 and she’s done! Headed to Quachita River next 2 weekends. Looking for 14 big ones next weekend.

Slew

Comment

Back from the Quachita River! Man that was rough! 5' high and rolling. Caught some good fish but not enough. Might get another crack at it Thursday before the tourney on Friday and Sat. Still gotta find a good hotel in W Monroe that has plug ins and boat parking! Did eat Johnny's pizza 2x and stopped at Podnuh's BBQ on the way home. I miss those 2 places. Sweep the kitchen is where it's at! I've had pizza all over the US and would take Johnny's over any of em.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            Back from the Quachita River! Man that was rough! 5' high and rolling. Caught some good fish but not enough. Might get another crack at it Thursday before the tourney on Friday and Sat. Still gotta find a good hotel in W Monroe that has plug ins and boat parking! Did eat Johnny's pizza 2x and stopped at Podnuh's BBQ on the way home. I miss those 2 places. Sweep the kitchen is where it's at! I've had pizza all over the US and would take Johnny's over any of em.
                            Good Bud 👍 keep us posted!

Comment

After the river kicking my butt so bad last weekend I took a last minute trip to Palestine with Kim and her friends. We started early to beat the heat and they ended up with 55 and a bonus hybrid at lunch when we called it a day. They had one 2 pounder and some 1.6-1.8s. Good fish for this time of the year. The hybrids were swarming a brushpile and Kim pulled a 6.30 off if with an 1/8oz jig and a 11’ Jenko KR signature series.

Clay fished Quachita Wed eve and I hopped in his boat Thursday and we looked around some more. I had one small area I had confidence in and that was it! I thought if those fish were still there a week later and would bite we could catch 11-12 pounds a day. That wouldn’t have won but it’s the best I could find. They had the spillway open when we got back for fhe tourney and there was a lot of current and it moved the fish. We were too hard headed to go look for something else the first day and got our teeth kicked in. We started near the same area on day 2 and after a couple hours with similar results we punted and ran to a different area and caught more fish in 2 hours than we did the previous 3 days combined just not big enough. Did manage a 1.96 last minute fish on day 2 and learned a little bit. Having to deal with river level and rising and falling water and current adds a lot of new curve balls we haven’t seen before. It was fun seeing everybody again. We might make it back over the end of August for ACT there but if not for sure in Sept for the Crappie Masters National Championship.

Comment

That's what happens when you play with the big boys [emoji13]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X