Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
    We had a fire on our ranch and our neighbors today. Grape Creek, Carlsbad and Water Valley responded. We are very much in debt to them. Luckily there was only about 15ac by best estimate. We think it started by a lightening strike from last night.

I was driving in from Ft. Stockton, I worked a 24hr ER shift there last night. Before Barnhart I stopped to help a deer stuck in a fence, which I got him out. He was worn out, but no fracture or dislocation on my exam. I called the Crockett co. Game warden and he was going to check on the young deer and monitor him. This delayed me home by about 30mins. As I am coming in the back way from Mertzon to our ranch I see a huge plume of gray/white smoke or dust. I thought it was maybe the caliche pit on our ranch detonating but then I saw flame. I got within sight of the flare up exactly when it started because I had stopped to pull that deer out of the fence, thank goodness.

I sped up and drove through the pit trying to call for help and find somebody to confirm fire versus rock detonation and call the fire department. Somehow my wife and FIL had seen a small puff of smoke and he scrambled the plane. It wasn't but less than 10mins Carlsbad VFD had arrived and we started moving in.

I didn't get but an hour or two of sleep in the middle of the night during my shift, so 40hrs later, I'm getting a ranch water and a cold beer and hopefully going to bed. Pics to follow.

PS This was the second fire of the day, there was one earlier on our neighbors/cousins place on our north side. All under 20ac each with minimal spread.

And if you think I look like **** in that pic, you should see me now!

I saw and called in the first one. I was on the place to the west and saw a small puff of smoke.

Comment

Good sheds! Y'all keep your eyes open....for all of us.

Comment

Fire about 5 miles north of our Christoval area place as well ....Was told it has been contained. Glad it wasn't any worse. That's no way to start September...

Comment

Yep, the firemen said there were four active fires around San Angelo.

Comment

Had to leave my windows down all night since I was working the radio between the plane and the firemen. Whole truck smells like smoke.

I’m just glad our pet raccoon Steve didn’t jump in and take a dump in my truck. The only reason he isn’t dead is because he never messes with anything and my kids think he’s a pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you folks could take care of e fires....

Just now hearing about the storm... Heard it blow some apartment complex partially down... Hope it didn't kill anyone.

Comment

Second fire in two days. This one was bigger. I was trying to study for my last EM board certification when my wife called and said she saw smoke from our porch. I stepped outside and it looked like it was on us and just 2-3 miles away. So I jumped in the plane and could easily see it was on the south side of the ranch. Got the VFD called in and here we went again....

Comment

Hope we get rain soon. We had a fire on our place in Fort McKavett last weekend from a lightning strike. It burned off and on thru Wednesday. Roughly 40 acres went up. No damage to any sets but it was a close call for me. Fire came within 20 yards of one of my feeders and a brand new Redneck blind I put up the week before.

Comment

We went up this past weekend and did another load of protein, they are about finished out though. We have never had pigs on our place but we got a pic of a boar, so we know we have at least one. Hopefully we can kill him Labor Day Weekend. The horns are looking nice.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

nice bucks. That 11 w/ the split G2's is a toad. I hope he's on your hit list.

We are seeing a lot of good deer on the cams, but have not seen a "great" one yet.
                            Ours are probably 80% grown out. They are down to growing the kicker points, and the last bit of tine length.

Comment

Here is my protein pig, horse of a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post

Looking right man, do you have a tripod or stand in that big oak.....that's a sweet looking set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X