2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
    Not a bad day for East Bay, at least in my experience (which isn't a ton, but you get the point ). Artificials?
    Yes sir all on plastic. Did pretty good the evening before too but no pics. They were all caught drifting. The evening bite has been much better than the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Yes sir all on plastic. Did pretty good the evening before too but no pics. They were all caught drifting. The evening bite has been much better than the morning.
      Even better. I feel like I accomplished something if I catch one on artificial ha ha! Actually, the last time I was in Sargent a few of the guys I was with did a little side pot for the biggest trout. They were throwing live shrimp, and I was messing around with artificials. None of us were really catching anything, but I was like, "So if I catch a keeper on artificial, does that mean I automatically win, or how does that work?". Basically, if they can't get live shrimp, they usually don't go out. I tell them I'm used to throwing artificials and not catching anything (from bass fishing at Lake Conroe), so it doesn't make much of a difference to me .

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
        Even better. I feel like I accomplished something if I catch one on artificial ha ha! Actually, the last time I was in Sargent a few of the guys I was with did a little side pot for the biggest trout. They were throwing live shrimp, and I was messing around with artificials. None of us were really catching anything, but I was like, "So if I catch a keeper on artificial, does that mean I automatically win, or how does that work?". Basically, if they can't get live shrimp, they usually don't go out. I tell them I'm used to throwing artificials and not catching anything (from bass fishing at Lake Conroe), so it doesn't make much of a difference to me .
        You should automatically win! Especially with a west wind!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          You should automatically win! Especially with a west wind!
          I usually bring it up, just to mess with them. I was fishing with the same group of guys a few years ago, and caught about a 10"-12" trout on a Super Spook Jr. when they were all throwing live shrimp and were getting nothing but hardhead bites. Naturally, I said "HOW Y'ALL LIKE THAT?!?". Joking, of course .

Comment

Double Post
            Last edited by JMKro; 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

We had a great night under the full moon last week! Our plan was to go into Baffin, but the wind had other plans. Blew 20+ all stinkin night, so we had to improvise. Still turned out great!
              Attached Files

Comment

Had to grind all weekend on East Matty but ended up pretty solid. Got a quick evening wade in Friday and only managed 3 trout on the south shoreline.

Saturday we ended up a couple short of a 5 man limit, about 2/3rds caught on the south shoreline and the rest we caught along the north shoreline. Sun beat us down enough and we finally called it quits about 2.

This morning we hit the south shoreline again about 6:15. Another slow steady grind to get our 3 limits but we finished up about 10:30.

Nobody in our group caught a single undersize trout all weekend. All solid healthy fish with most in the 18” range and a two over 25 with the biggest being a 27-1/2” 8lber that was released for someone else to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                  Had to grind all weekend on East Matty but ended up pretty solid. Got a quick evening wade in Friday and only managed 3 trout on the south shoreline.

Saturday we ended up a couple short of a 5 man limit, about 2/3rds caught on the south shoreline and the rest we caught along the north shoreline. Sun beat us down enough and we finally called it quits about 2.

This morning we hit the south shoreline again about 6:15. Another slow steady grind to get our 3 limits but we finished up about 10:30.

Nobody in our group caught a single undersize trout all weekend. All solid healthy fish with most in the 18” range and a two over 25 with the biggest being a 27-1/2” 8lber that was released for someone else to enjoy.
                  Nice. We didn’t make it to East, we headed west. I don’t like East Bay on a west wind. Bait or lures?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Nice. We didn’t make it to East, we headed west. I don’t like East Bay on a west wind. Bait or lures?

Should have mentioned that. We threw bait for my first time in prob 5 years. Went out with a guide Saturday morning and took a guy that doesn’t fish much so we wanted to make sure he caught some fish. Ironically I think he only caught one catfish all day [emoji23][emoji23].

On a side note, I forgot how boring it can get between bites when the action is slow fishing bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Y’all figure out a time to go and I’ll bring my wife and make her butt wade. She has never wade fished and is a bit hesitate to do so, but if another women was there it would make her feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Mine wades. She just don't catch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Next time we're fishing that last sandbar! You wimped out 3 times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Y’all figure out a time to go and I’ll bring my wife and make her butt wade. She has never wade fished and is a bit hesitate to do so, but if another women was there it would make her feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine wades and my oldest Boy is burning me up about getting back in the salt.

Say when!

Comment

My Wife tried it last year & now has no qualms about jumping in!

Comment

Huge Shout Out to Mexico (Shane) for taking me along. As noted we grinded through it basically all day but did manage to pick up some decent fish. I got to meet Panhandle and Mayhem (maybe others I don't remember from here). I was a little rusty but tried to hold my own. I had bites on strawberry/limetruse and white/gold/chartreuse. I'm used to fishing lower coast but East Matty reminded me of my childhood days fishing Port Lavaca with my dad. Only casualty of the weekend was me leaving my wading net in the fish cleaning station- oh well I'll take that over anything serious. No danger of Mayhem leaving ANYTHING, not even fish backbones, in the fish cleaning station LOL

I think Mexico might have been a little surprised when I "found" my fillet knife Sunday morning for my one early morning trout on a short drift session.
                              Last edited by buck_wild; 07-13-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Tbh couples wade trip!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X