No announcement yet.

2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a good weekend. My saturday group rescheduled due to the weather, which I agreed with totally. I was eating lunch with a buddy saturday and got a call at noon asking if I could fish that afternoon. At 1pm we were sliding out of the harbor to go catch some fish. The weather broke and we had a fabulous afternoon. Caught fish for hours and released a bunch. We had a run in with a huge trout. I'll have to tell the story in another post. It was really pretty cool and when I say huge I mean huge. One of the biggest I have ever seen in person and I have seen lots of big trout.

This morning I had one of my regular groups and they brought down some friends so we had two boats. It was good. I had 3 of the ladies and I gotta say I think they whooped up on the other boat. We caught alot of fish this morning. It was a pretty solid bite. We had some firsts today including a first trout and redfish. We only fished until 10:30.

I had a group this afternoon and it was quite a bit slower. The water looked great and we went back in and fished the same stuff I caught them on the last couple of days. We got about a 30 min bite and that was it. We still caught some fish.

I have one more trip tomorrow and then I get some rest for a couple of days.

Comment

Congrats Glenn.

Comment

So the big trout story. We were on a drift on a spot where I catch quite a few big trout. I regularly catch 28"+ trout off that spot. And lots and lots of 25"+.

So we are drifting this spot and it has had basically two weeks to rest. We slid in there and I got us lined up on a great drift line. We are catching steadily. We had trout up to 24". I look up and the lady on the bow of my boat was doubled over on a fish and the fish was moving sideways at a high rate of speed. Big fish. So I get the net and head up front to get ready to net her fish. It cut back the other way and I saw her as she went by and when I say she was huge, she was HUGE. It takes alot for me to get excited and I was full on fired up. So I am coaching her on how to fight it. She gets it up to the boat and it was right beside the boat and it dives. No problem, lift easy, take your time. The fish comes up again and I started to net it but it was still a little green and it dove again and went up under the boat. She pulled the fish out and I was ready to net it. All of a sudden it pops up... and she had a 14" sand trout. I was like what the heck just happened? Then I realized the sand trout was in bad shape. That big momma had eaten a 14" sand trout and had it all the way down. The sand trout was hooked deep. She never got a hook in that big trout, she was just pulling it in by the sand trout in her gullet. So she had a 14", and thick, sand trout in her gullet and none of it was sticking out of the trout's mouth. The sand trout was big enough we took it in and fillet'ed it.

That trout was over 30" and the girth was crazy big. She is the one we all are fishing for. Just didn't get a hook in her.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Congrats Glenn.
          Thanks bud!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            It's been a good weekend. My saturday group rescheduled due to the weather, which I agreed with totally. I was eating lunch with a buddy saturday and got a call at noon asking if I could fish that afternoon. At 1pm we were sliding out of the harbor to go catch some fish. The weather broke and we had a fabulous afternoon. Caught fish for hours and released a bunch. We had a run in with a huge trout. I'll have to tell the story in another post. It was really pretty cool and when I say huge I mean huge. One of the biggest I have ever seen in person and I have seen lots of big trout.

This morning I had one of my regular groups and they brought down some friends so we had two boats. It was good. I had 3 of the ladies and I gotta say I think they whooped up on the other boat. We caught alot of fish this morning. It was a pretty solid bite. We had some firsts today including a first trout and redfish. We only fished until 10:30.

I had a group this afternoon and it was quite a bit slower. The water looked great and we went back in and fished the same stuff I caught them on the last couple of days. We got about a 30 min bite and that was it. We still caught some fish.

I have one more trip tomorrow and then I get some rest for a couple of days.
            Heck yea, that some good catching there!!!!

Comment

So the big trout story. We were on a drift on a spot where I catch quite a few big trout. I regularly catch 28"+ trout off that spot. And lots and lots of 25"+.

So we are drifting this spot and it has had basically two weeks to rest. We slid in there and I got us lined up on a great drift line. We are catching steadily. We had trout up to 24". I look up and the lady on the bow of my boat was doubled over on a fish and the fish was moving sideways at a high rate of speed. Big fish. So I get the net and head up front to get ready to net her fish. It cut back the other way and I saw her as she went by and when I say she was huge, she was HUGE. It takes alot for me to get excited and I was full on fired up. So I am coaching her on how to fight it. She gets it up to the boat and it was right beside the boat and it dives. No problem, lift easy, take your time. The fish comes up again and I started to net it but it was still a little green and it dove again and went up under the boat. She pulled the fish out and I was ready to net it. All of a sudden it pops up... and she had a 14" sand trout. I was like what the heck just happened? Then I realized the sand trout was in bad shape. That big momma had eaten a 14" sand trout and had it all the way down. The sand trout was hooked deep. She never got a hook in that big trout, she was just pulling it in by the sand trout in her gullet. So she had a 14", and thick, sand trout in her gullet and none of it was sticking out of the trout's mouth. The sand trout was big enough we took it in and fillet'ed it.

That trout was over 30" and the girth was crazy big. She is the one we all are fishing for. Just didn't get a hook in her.
              I was fishing the freeport jetties long ago & had a 10 -12 in speck hooked & as I got it up to the rocks this black log comes cruising up from the depths. Big speck. She grabbed that little speck & took off. Fought her for a bit & she let the little one go or it did like y'alls. Was a 30 in fish for sure

Comment

Sounds like a helluva trout glenn

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a good weekend in aransas pass. Friday afternoon we hit the water at 2:15 and were on em all the way till dark. Got lucky on the first stop and walked right into the trout. Had to sort through a lot of dinks but ended the Wade with 11 keepers. Hit a shoreline on a spoil island next and walked into the reds. All 4 of us were hooked up almost constantly for awhile. We were using the new burner shads from dsl and reeling them over the grass and giving them a pop when they got to a pothole and they were getting hammered. Saturday we slept in and were watching the weather, which was changing every 30 mins. Finally at noon we said to hell with it lets go. Ended up being a beautiful afternoon. Trout were hard to come by after the few inches of rain that morning but the reds were still home. Can’t wait to get back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats chase!

Comment

Nice haul.

Comment

Glen how is the tide looking???

Comment

Dang chase that’s a good haul! I should be in AP this weekend. Hit me up if you’re down there maybe we can link up

Comment

oh man that's awesome.

Comment

Have any of y'all fished the lights around sea isle or similar yet? They in there?

Thinking of burning a trip to Kayak the canals, take a nap, surf fish for trout in the am. And then burn back on a good weather day.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

help an old salt out..... I'm looking to do some wade fishing for specks and reds... I no longer have a boat so I'd need walk-in access and I'd like the kids to get in on the action.... Where's the best place to go?

Comment

Working...
                                X