Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Running Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would get a bosu ball and start doing a lot of balancing exercises to help build up your knees and ankles... doing them 2-3 times a week helped build my knees up for my elk hunt this year... also as long as it’s nothing major I would say throw a brace on it and muscle through... probably not the norm but I think we can put our bodies through more than we think, sounds like your motivated so keep after it! Ran my first half marathon last year and running another in 3 weeks... body is feeling a little busted up right now but I’ll figure it out... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHoney View Post
      So I started preparing for a half in February last few months but lately my ankle is starting give out. Should I just tape it or get a brace? I just don’t want it to affect my stride. I’m at a good time for a beginner so I don’t want to have to retrain myself to run differently if I don’t have to. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Go to a foot doctor (real doctor) and get custom orthotics. You should have them that fit the shoes you wear the most. People would be suprised at the amount of money pro spirt teams spend on orthotics (not shoes). I was lucky enough to marry into the family of a guy that does (did, retired now) the entire grapefruit leagues orthotics. They will really change your life. I'm am very active and got to the point that i couldnt hike or play a pickup softball game because my knees would hurt so bad. I've had them 6 years now and my knees never hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

You might also consider cross training. You can build the cardio and leg strength without the impact to your joints and feet.

Comment

Taping is your best option for support and keeping your foot dorsiflexed which is necessary for proper running form. Taping for everyday running will be a nightmare. I would be a sleeve type support for training and tape for the event.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            You might also consider cross training. You can build the cardio and leg strength without the impact to your joints and feet.

My wife and I have done it both ways and we had much much better results mixing cross training and running as apposed to just logging miles. This was for Fulls, halves and lots of 10 milers.

Our best 1/2 time by far we had been doing Camp Gladiator (boot camp style workout) and simply cut work out and ran on Wednesday and Saturday for about 6 weeks, the Wed run would be 3-5 miles and the Sat runs built week by week by a mile or two up to 10 miles.

Comment

I have a similar issue where my achilles and other tendons will just start to lock up or pop in my ankle/heel.

This only happens if I'm running too much in a week (50 miles for me) . The solution for me was to run less and do one large run. So just run 3 miles a day during the week, then 13+ on saturday or sunday.
              I also started swapping out some of the distance days for sprints. I did not lose any endurance capability.

Comment

Thanks y’all. I have my joint membership. I just got chewed out by one of them because I was totally out of alignment. But thanks for all the advice.

The RNR SA was in December and I was not ready to make that leap but next year for sure. I have to check that out. I love my brooks. So any chance at new one I’m game.

That sounds like a good plan actually. I do golds fit here and there but mixing while I train might be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  I have a similar issue where my achilles and other tendons will just start to lock up or pop in my ankle/heel.

This only happens if I'm running too much in a week (50 miles for me) . The solution for me was to run less and do one large run. So just run 3 miles a day during the week, then 13+ on saturday or sunday.
                  I also started swapping out some of the distance days for sprints. I did not lose any endurance capability.

That’s a good thought. I don’t think I’m up for a 13 mile yes but almost there.

Comment

Something else to consider is joining any local running clubs in your area. We have some really good groups that have a wealth of knowledge if you join them. I usually run with a group that was started by an Olympic hopeful and the runners in that group are very helpful when it comes to things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                      Something else to consider is joining any local running clubs in your area. We have some really good groups that have a wealth of knowledge if you join them. I usually run with a group that was started by an Olympic hopeful and the runners in that group are very helpful when it comes to things like this.

Oh that’s a good idea... let me check social to find some in my area

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post

Echoing the cross training.

The half is a fun distance, but there is no reason to permanently damage your ankle. I would seek a physical therapist's advice. Maybe you need time off and miss this race, or start cycling. Like 15 minutes of easy cycling 3xweekly. Cycling is a runners best friend. Oh, are you stretching before and after your runs? Give your ankle an ice bath after each run: 10 minutes in ice water (it's a mf'r the first time, but you nerves will adjust), then warm/hot water for 5 minutes, repeat 3 x. The water just needs to be colder 53 degrees, maybe your gym has a cold dip.

Comment

Go joe Rogan style and eat some edibles before a run, you’ll be good!

I’ve got nothing that hasn’t been said here but do make sure to warm up, cool down and stretch. People under estimate most of that and just want to put in the “hard work” but ignore recovery. Don’t ignore it and keep pushing because you’ll screw yourself up even more

Comment

My take, if it hurts- stop/slow down.

Comment

Working...
                            X