White settlement Church shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    Please don't tell my teenagers driving a vehicle is now a constitutional right.
    Don't worry. It's just some more nonsense that he made up. My teenagers have no rights that I don't afford them. Well, they have the right to remain silent....they just don't have the ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
      Freedom is scary stuff!
      You aren't kidding.... As we see in the news daily, some folks cant handle handle it..

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        Please don't tell my teenagers driving a vehicle is now a constitutional right.
        Yea thats what I meant..

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
          Indeed. I’m amazed by the “regulate good decisions” mentally. I’ll accept the risks and keep my freedom.
          But what generally happens when freedoms are misused?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Agreed. I think it would take someone about 2 minutes to show him the proper way to do it and I bet he'd never put a magazine in backward again. Someone taught me. Someone taught you. Someone taught all of us at some point. I was lucky enough to learn at a young age, but many didn't.
            We spent about 6 hours over the holiday with 4 kids ages 7-13 burning up .22 rounds, and targets at a "constant grin" rate. We don't even load mags anymore. I watched every kid load their mags, make the rifle ready, empty the mag, make the rifle safe again, and walk away from the table....DOZENS of times....without ever forgetting what we taught them. We started on handguns, but we're easing into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              We spent about 6 hours over the holiday with 4 kids ages 7-13 burning up .22 rounds, and targets at a "constant grin" rate. We don't even load mags anymore. I watched every kid load their mags, make the rifle ready, empty the mag, make the rifle safe again, and walk away from the table....DOZENS of times....without ever forgetting what we taught them. We started on handguns, but we're easing into that.
              Good deal. Good deal.

Comment

Country folk aren't the ones that scare me.. For this reason^^^^.

Comment

That's awesome. They're gonna need those skills when people try to determine whether they are worthy to carry a gun.

Comment

Been doing the same for a few years now. Just an 2 hours ago I sent my 11 year old boy on his solo walk about with the .22 nylon 66 at the lease. Just got back to camp.
                    He has been shooting my .40 and 9mm and 22's for 3 years.
                    I am not a gun guy but have made it a priority to teach my kids and wife a lot more than I ever knew

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      that's awesome. They're gonna need those skills when they carry a gun.

fify

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        But what generally happens when freedoms are misused?

Um, I believe that’s called a stretch in the grey bar motel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Quality!

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            I am only using your post to explain the old and new law.

You were absolutely correct that SB535 removed churches from prohibited locations.

The problem in reading that bill alone is that it cuts out most of the actual Penal Code section and just shows the changed part. If you go to the Penal Code and read the actual law but much further down (very long section) it says that the law prohibiting carry in churches does not apply unless they had a 30.06 sign.

So carrying in a church was only prohibited if the proper signage was posted. If that is true, why even have the law? Any place can prohibit lawful handgun license carry even today with a 30.06 or 30.07 sign.

I had to read it a couple of times to figure this one out back then.....

Any location could prohibit the lawful carry of a handgun even with a handgun license by merely posting the proper signs. Why was at church (and a couple of other places) different and placed under the prohibited places law?

The difference is...... one is a felony and one is a misdemeanor. So if Walmart put out a 30.06 sign and you violated the law, it was (and still is) a misdemeanor. If a church put out a 30.06 sign, it was a felony because of churches being put into the prohibited places section of the law.

What SB535 did was remove churches from the felony section. A church can still ban handguns by putting put out the 30.06 or 30.07 signs and it will still be against the law to carry in a church. Again SB535 didn’t change the requirement for the sign, it just changed the penalty by taking away the felony which is basically what you were correctly stating.

The other change in 2019 was for the private security law. A company acting as Private Security (not police officers) is required to have a state license. Several churches had their own security teams of just church members who were armed. It eventually came into the discussion that these church members were in fact acting like a security company requiring a license even though they may not be getting paid. It was a technicality that made churches possibly violating the law by having unlicensed “security”.

Was volunteering church members carrying handguns in church really the same as an unlicensed security company because they discussed “what if” scenarios?

I have my doubts however the legislature made it a moot point by changing that private security law and essentially exempted churches. I think it was SB2065.

Clear as mud?

2019 did not make church carry legal. It moved it from a felony to a misdemeanor if signs posted. Then we saw the waiving of a private security license for churches.

If anyone really cares at this point....

Well thought out explanation as usual.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've got no problem with any legally able folks carrying guns. However If they're going to engage and not just retreat armed, they better be good at assessing the situation. I do not trust every bubba with a gun to do that. But I wouldn't expect them to.

Comment

Seems prudent and advisable for any church to have a security team -- volunteers or pros or a combination, and for those folks to hone their skills and train for various scenarios that may arise.

Comment

Working...
                                X