No announcement yet.

Shooting range close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every range I've ever been to, for personal or competition, when cease fire is called out, guns are laid down, chamber open or put in a rack. No one is allowed to be at their station (table), until it's clear and HOT is called. Very lucky this time.

Comment

Dad should have been the one getting his butt reamed. I watch my son like a hawk and walk him though loading and making the gun safe every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        Dad should have been the one getting his butt reamed. I watch my son like a hawk and walk him though loading and making the gun safe every single time.
        Agree

Comment

Went to our local range, we have no oversight, it's just you relying on knowing shooting/firearms safety, me and the grandboys were about halfway through checking the zero on gun cabinet relics when 2 vehicles of people show up, they're unloading gear and getting set up, then the older guy just walks out onto the range while I'm touching off rounds. I immediately stop shooting and tell my boys to load our stuff, I announce to them, loud enough for the other group to hear, "we sure as hell don't need to be around when they go to shooting if they haven't got enough sense to watch out for themselves"! First time I've been to the range in years, likely be a long time before I go back. I know to many landowners with caliche pits to deal with that!

Comment

guns down hands up, when safety is concern on a range

Comment

And where was the Range Safety Officer? Should have checked all weapons before calling Range Cold

Comment

Shooting range close call

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure

Our shooting club is same way. All
                Guns have to be on the rack before anyone can go down range.

Op that is scary.

Sent from my iPhone
                Last edited by manwitaplan; 12-27-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure
                  Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench.

Comment

Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench. Only then is the range called cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench.
                      Yessir. I always make it a point to leave the action open as well.

Comment

I agree the dad should have been paying better attention but ultimately that’s on the range officer - that’s what they are there for. Not everybody knows the rules, others are just idiots.

Comment

Action open and gun in the rack behind your bench.

Comment

You always gotta be watching out for other people because they ain't always watching out for you. I've never been to an indoor range or even a range that had any sort of order to it at all. Just shooting whenever ready. I've also had one of my friends almost shoot me in the head from point blank range because he was jacking around not paying attention. Had I not been paying attention I might be taking a big *** nap right now. Instead my left ear just rang really loud for a while.

Comment

There is a range I have shot on many times over the years. They have a berm built on three sides of the pistol range, which is to the left of the rifle range. Just on the right side of the berm that divides the pistol from the rifle range, is the 25 yard range, with one or two target stands, then the 50 yard range to the right of that with one or two target stands. Then a bunch of 100 yard target stands.

On about three different occasions I have walked down to the 50 yard target stands, while someone was shooting on the pistol range. To this day, I don't know what the people on the pistol range were shooting at, but on three different occasions, I had bullets whizzing past me, not like one or two, more like five to either rounds. Each time I tried yelling at the person or people on the pistol range, they never heard me. I confronted whoever was on the pistol range and asked what they were shooting at, each time they got bent out of shape and told me they were shooting at the targets on the stands and there was no way bullets were going down the rifle range. Which I would agree, there should be no way bullets should be going down the rifle range, from the pistol range, if the guys are shooting at targets on the target stands and hitting the target stands. But I still don't think they were shooting at targets on the target stands. The berms are much higher than target stands and directly behind them. Then there are berms of the same height to the right and left of the rear berm. I still don't know how they manage to get bullets over that berm and then go down the rifle range, but there was no question, I was dodging ricocheted handgun bullets.
                              After the third time it happened, I absolutely won't go down the rifle range, if someone is shooting on the pistol range.

Comment

I always go at odd times when few people are there..and I can talk to all and get verbal and turn Red Light on before I ever take a step towards Targets...no touching guns while red light on

Comment

Working...
                                X