No announcement yet.

Running shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asics have been my first choice for years but I recently bought a pair of Brooks (can't remember the exact style) and really like them. Now training to run Cowtown half marathon in March. What it really boils down to is what feels good on your own feet. Good luck!

Comment

I bought a pair of these at the Ironman in Phoenix and love the shoe. It’s like the Hoka but much less expensive and the selection is larger.

Altra was founded with a desire to find a better shoe for road and trail running. Experience the difference of our FootShape and ZeroDrop design.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
        Not to steal the thread but for you guys that run just for staying active for overall health what miles/week or minutes per week you target?
        I’m just beginning to start & was curious what others are averaging. I’m 45 so I’m not looking to compete in 5Ks or anything like that
        Nothing crazy for me. This time of year, I run between 6 and 12 per week. I HATE running but, my wife started doing it and it did wonders for her. I decided to give it a try and definitely feel MUCH better. I get bored with milage so I have started mixing in at least one day of sprint intervals.

Also, I certainly don't "compete" but, it is kind of fun to run the occasional 5K event. Our family did a 5K turkey trot this year. We also do the Jingle Bell Run and make the trip to Austin for the Capital 10K. My wife does a half marathon every year. I'm out.
        Last edited by Rush2Judge; 12-17-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Before my knee surgery I was a big Brooks fan after running in Asics for years. Haven’t been able to run in about a year due to complications from the surgery.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Not to steal the thread but for you guys that run just for staying active for overall health what miles/week or minutes per week you target?
            I’m just beginning to start & was curious what others are averaging. I’m 45 so I’m not looking to compete in 5Ks or anything like that
            Lots of variables to consider. As I age I think it's more important to get your heart rate up and keep it up for as long as you can vs. speed. At age 45 I would recommend trying to run 4 days per week but not at first. Work into it and build up your time/distance gradually. Set yourself some goals, run some 5k races then go from there. Definitely check with your doctor first though. Best of luck! It can get addictive.

One of many good resources.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
              Hoka Clifton 2's were the answer to my shin splints, but unfortunately they dont make them any more, the Clifton 4's fit different and Im back to square one looking for a new pair. Definitely go to a running shop and get checked out, don't just go to Academy or buy online.
              I know this might not be the shoe most want to try but look into the Sketcher Elite Series and try the GoRun Ride 7 very similar to the Hoka Clifton's 2. Get them with Running Warehouse and if you don't like them you have 90 days to return.

I am currently running on them and I really like them a lot. I ran on Brooks Pureflow series but change to GoRun Ride 7 this last year.

Comment

I suggest you go to a running shoe store and have them watch you walk, measure your feet and recommend a brand and style. I started running and my feet really hurt. Turns out you have to buy running shoes at least a 1/2 size larger and preferably 1 full size larger because your feet swell when you run! I bought a pair from the store but now I order that style/brand on line and my feet don't hurt.

Comment

I have about 50 miles on these and loving them. A guy from my gym here at work turned me on to them. He is a tri-athlete and got awesome use out of the pair he bought. Cannot beat the price.

If you are just looking to get started and or back into running these are perfect. Thats what I did.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am 51 and right now I am averaging 15-20 miles per week. I try to run every other day depending upon what is going on with work and kids schedules and such. It helps a BUNCH that I work from home most of the time so I can pick a time of day around my schedule. I do try to run a few 5Ks each year.

Just starting out - go slow and listen to your body. Run/walk. Don't push it. Over time work up to 30 minute runs/workouts.

Comment

Years ago, when cave people relied on printed material rather than the internet, I found Road Runner Sports very helpful. They had charts showing different shoes and what the various shoes catered to. I was having some knee problems at the time and one of the interesting things they showed was that anyone over 185 pounds was considered (for shoe manufacturing) 'heavy'. I was not fat or anything, but when I bought shoes for 'heavy' runners, my knee pain slowly went away.
                      Their website now has a 'fit selector' that walks you through several questions to help narrow down your search to particular shoes.

Comment

Hoka Bondi for me.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. Will definitely hit a shoe place. There’s a fleet feet in corpus. I use to be able to hit 8-10 miles a morning when feeling good so trying to get there again

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                            I am 51 and right now I am averaging 15-20 miles per week. I try to run every other day depending upon what is going on with work and kids schedules and such. It helps a BUNCH that I work from home most of the time so I can pick a time of day around my schedule. I do try to run a few 5Ks each year.

Just starting out - go slow and listen to your body. Run/walk. Don't push it. Over time work up to 30 minute runs/workouts.
                            Thanks. This is exactly what I’m doing is alternating right now brisk walk a lap around our neighborhood followed by jogging the next. Total distance is about 1.6 miles right now. I’m doing this 5x per week. Goal is to get to a 2 mile jog each morning 5 days per week. Dieting well too as I’m trying to get into a more active lifestyle

Comment

Altra have been my favorite so far. Hoka and Altra are on the same playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                                Go to a run shop and get fitted before spending a lot on a new pair of running shoes.
                                I have supination, which means I walk and run on the outside edge of my feet and there are shoes specifically for that so I don't injure myself.
                                The run shop will take a look at your stride and can recommend various shoes if you supinate or pronate or even if you have flat feet.
                                I am partial to Brooks shoes and go through about 2 pair a year running roughly 600 miles per year.
                                For sure, but I like Asics, from a Doctor, they have about the best arch support. The running shop is a must though.

Comment

Working...
                                X