Barndo/cust. home build "Don't forgets"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo/cust. home build "Don't forgets"

Considering a build in the next 2-4 years(fairly rural). For those who have built in the last few years, what are the essentials, (electrical, electronic, plumbing etc) ? Or I wish I would have...

Include a walk-in gunsafe. Can be built on a budget and you'll be so glad that you have it. You'll forget about the money you spent on it, long after you're still enjoying the use of it.

Comment

This isn’t essential but, if you like Xmas lights, put switched receptacles outside for the lights.

Comment

Run a hot water line to a hose bib by your garage and your back porch. Wish I had one.

Comment

Following. Hope to do this in a few years myself.

Comment

Walk in gun/safe room, hot/cold water for back porch, and a outdoor shower on back porch. For those days when your so dirty that momma will not let you in the house without stripping down.

Comment

Outdoor shower for sure and I’d like a light switch in the master for outdoor lighting control. Walk in gun safe or hidden door type set up would be great as well.

Comment

Insulation…..as much as you can afford...………
                garage sink.... and LED lighting.....
                Plus, I put all of my plumbing on one side of the building...
                And the only thing that went thru the slab.. Was the toilet...…
                Everything else was gray water......and ran out on the ground about
                20 yards away.....
                Here's my living room...………
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	24601272

Comment

All great recommendations. Got my list going!

Comment

We are gonna put a couple LAN lines throughout the house we are about to build. Wireless is great but a hard wire will come in handy....I think. Make sure to have a propane line ran wherever you cool as well. (Outside)

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                      We are gonna put a couple LAN lines throughout the house we are about to build. Wireless is great but a hard wire will come in handy....I think. Make sure to have a propane line ran wherever you cool as well. (Outside)
                      Not sure I understand the propane line?

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                        20 yards away.....
                        [ATTACH]983951[/ATTACH]
                        Is that legal and does it stay swampy all the time? Way less stuff in your septic but never heard of that before.

Comment

Originally posted by lostbrd View Post
                          Not sure I understand the propane line?
                          I think he means a natural gas line for the grill?

Comment

We are wrapping up our build now.

Ideas..

Save the cut-outs from your counters for cutting boards
                            Put Plywood on walls you plan to put mounts on
                            Put shop lights in the garage
                            Separate breaker for outside freezer

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                              Insulation…..as much as you can afford...………
                              garage sink.... and LED lighting.....
                              Plus, I put all of my plumbing on one side of the building...
                              And the only thing that went thru the slab.. Was the toilet...…
                              20 yards away.....
                              Here's my living room...………
                              [ATTACH]983951[/ATTACH]
                              An FYI .......I believe Texas code states that a sink that is for food preparation (such as a kitchen or pantry sink) is considered black water and therefore needs to be plumbed to BW.

OP Some things I am doing when personally building my barndo are electrical.

Installing 3 way switches in all bedrooms next to the bed location so lights can be switched there.

3 or 4 way switched outside lighting with a switch in the master BR.

Installing switched outlets on fireplace mantle and Christmas tree location. This helps during the holidays not having to unplug lights to turn them off. These can be left on the rest of the time.

Switched living room floor plug for a table lamp.

Installing outlets a little higher than normal so not having to bend over as much especially on night stand locations.
                              Installing USB outlets in key areas.

Large ceiling fans for moving air, the bigger the better. You can run them at very low speed nowadays. Note most fans these days are entirely run with a remote so the days are gone where you would normally have a separate switch for the light and fan are gone.

If you plan on heating your home with wood I would recommend a modern fireplace insert or wood burning stove as they are much more efficient that a regular fireplace. I went with a high end stove and the few times I have used it so far it's been great.

To save some money do as much of the work as you feel you can. Just do it right and follow building standards/codes. My wife and I have done about 95% of our build and it's been a wild ride and still are not quite there buts it's very rewarding at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X