How's it looking after Anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
    All the research I've read says they are naturally occurring in the soil.
    It does "live" naturally in the soil, but it was introduced years ago through bonemeal feed supplement made from animals killed by anthrax in the early 20th century. The soil Ph and geological conditions are apparently perfect in the "Anthrax Triangle".

Are y'all seeing a higher survival rate for exotics? It seems like the exotics fared fairly well.

Comment

Im about 20 miles south of Ozona, and we are about 90 percent wiped out. Not sure if I am staying or not. Some guys have been on this pasture for 26 years. Landowner hasnt said anything about a discount.

Comment

We hunted 20 miles south of Ozona in the late 90s. Great looking ranch but we didn't see a deer on 2000 acres. We were young an never heard of the Anthrax triangle. Guess that explains it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          It does "live" naturally in the soil, but it was introduced years ago through bonemeal feed supplement made from animals killed by anthrax in the early 20th century. The soil Ph and geological conditions are apparently perfect in the "Anthrax Triangle".

Are y'all seeing a higher survival rate for exotics? It seems like the exotics fared fairly well.
          We are seeing the opposite. Our ranch seems to have missed the outbreak because our resident whitetail are numerous. But I heard reports of it around us and our axis herds are significantly reduced/almost gone. My guess is that the axis roamed and found anthrax somewhere else. We are still seeing a lot of aoudad. They seem unaffected.

Comment

Deer and Anthrax

I have not seen anything worth staying on our lease for unless the rancher cuts a tremendous deal for a retainer. Where I was seeing 10-15 deer including decent 8 pointers and the occasional 10 pointer, I am seeing nothing. And that's all around our lease with 7 different stands and feeders. So most likely we will be leaving. Not sure I want to spend 3-5 years for the deer to move back in. I have to say this sucks after 20 years of hunting Sonora area.

Comment

Pulled out this past weekend,18 miles west of Sonora off I-10

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                Between Sonora and Juno (Hwy 189)
                That area got slammed

Comment

Somehow this is Bush's fault.

In all seriousness, what are the chances while loading up your blind, trailers, boots etc and bringing the spores to an area that is not infected?

What is the long term health affects to those living there?

Is there any issues with livestock? Chances this can spread and becoming a statewide concern? When livestock are transplanted to other area of the state will the spores spread?

Thoughts or ideas?
                  Last edited by Big Lee; 12-30-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X