How's it looking after Anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kjheiter View Post
    From what I understand CTC is a antibiotic that strengthens the immune system to help keep the deer alive when the spores are inhaled / ingested, apparently "healthy" deer can fight off the effects from anthrax. I too have researched a fair amount and not seen much on it. The only way I have found to get it to the deer is in the pellets mixed from the mill. I would prefer to mix myself for better control, the issue I run into is buying bulk pellets and having to get 10 tons at a time and then run into issue with the 60 day withdraw period for human consumption. That and I don't like feeding wild deer antibiotics because it can create bacteria / virus that are resistant to antibiotics and it just seems weird / unnatural.

I went to the seminar in Sonora and there were several biologist from A&M there saying that there has been no research done in relationship to CTC preventing loss from anthrax but I have spoken to several folks in the Brackettville area that say it works wonders and what i saw this year with neighboring ranches all HF in the same geological area tells me it must work. The same A&M guys also said it is illegal (by the Center for Disease Control, I think) to feed CTC to wild deer until there is a confirmed case on your property but by that time it's too late and I am told vets who know the area will prescribe it before hand anyways. A&M is working on a vaccine similar to the livestock vaccine that is given by a shot but i think the snag is the delivery method for wildlife. Sounds like it is years off from being available to the public.

I am curious as to why TPWD has not done more / any research on this when it appears to be a ton of money spent on CWD and anthrax seems to be the bigger issue, IMO.

We are working on re-stocking with some TTT doe, going against me being determined to grow big deer with out bringing in pen deer, TTT, DMP or any of that stuff. I wanted to do it with native genetics. But i am not going to sit around not have a hunt-able herd for the next 5 to 8 years, over to the dark side I go.

Not an expert by any means, just what i have learned over the past couple of years and hope I can prevent this in the future as it is heartbreaking to say the least.
    Sounds like a lot of variables. Thank you for the info

Comment

Our lease was about 23 miles southwest of Sonora. We have been hunting this 2300 acres for 9 years and our herd was wiped out. Since July we have had 10 trail cameras working on our feeders and we can only identify between 12 and 16 individual deer, depending on the person reviewing the pics. We have had our feeders spinning since July and the corn is just piling up under the spinners. Looking for a new place. I can't imagine how many years it will take to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree View Post
        Our lease was about 23 miles southwest of Sonora. We have been hunting this 2300 acres for 9 years and our herd was wiped out. Since July we have had 10 trail cameras working on our feeders and we can only identify between 12 and 16 individual deer, depending on the person reviewing the pics. We have had our feeders spinning since July and the corn is just piling up under the spinners. Looking for a new place. I can't imagine how many years it will take to recover.
        **** man hate to hear that. Perhaps it's for a reason and y'all will come across something better like I was lucky enough to fall into.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

In West TX 2 years for numbers to return, 4 years for quality not accounting for new bucks moving into your area.
          Those that stick with your pastures may be surprised.
          Only speaking from personal experience.

Comment

I sure hope I never see it on our place, but I have friends that where hit a few years ago and their place bounced back pretty quick. Yes the young bucks take time, but the place is now back to normal.

Comment

I’m still enjoying the ranch but it sure isn’t the same. Killed a 113” with my bow last weekend and I’m seeing decent numbers in my pasture but majority of ranch is wiped out. Only a couple of us hunting hard out of 40 hunters, i did see 11 bucks one special hunt but none over 110”. We lost ALL trophies. I’ll most likely stay and grind it out but will not invest in feed and everything else close to how much money I’ve put in the past several years

Comment

Any reports on the Comstock area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech08 View Post
                  Any reports on the Comstock area?

Seems like Comstock was not affected. Too close for comfort though if you ask me.

Comment

What is the reason for the anthrax in these areas? I've hunted Bandera an Brady my whole life never seen a case. What's the difference??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
                      Seems like Comstock was not affected. Too close for comfort though if you ask me.

It’s free and the first hunt of the yr for me. I’ll just have to hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                        My buddy had stated, not that this is right or not, that the anthrax was introduced through some farming based products like feed and salt blocks or something that came from overseas. Said the bacteria took off from there.
                        All the research I've read says they are naturally occurring in the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech08 View Post
                          It’s free and the first hunt of the yr for me. I’ll just have to hope for the best.

I wouldn't pass up free neither.

Comment

We also hunt on 500 acres about 10-12 miles down the Juno highway from 277. Before we had 10-15 or so deer at every feeder but afterwards it's like a complete ghost town. Sat there 3 days two weeks ago and saw maybe 5 total whitetail does and one small yearling spike. The axis don't seem to be affected as i saw quite a few of those. Rancher said it was done and over in July but I still saw some fairly sickly looking does on camera as late as October and early November. We have hunted there for 20 years and never seen it like this. I think we have lost about 90% of the herd. We hunt low fenced. It's very sad. I know we will be looking for another lease somewhere away from that area. I'm not hearing much of all from TPWD. It's like they don;t want to talk about.

Comment

Reading these posts reminds me of exactly why I quit hunting anthrax prone areas 25 years ago.. Its a huge gamble and can happen any year..
                              I hate reading how some you have lost years worth of money, hard work and management.. It is sickening to read.. I know ranches that were wiped almost clean of all species.. Very sad..

Comment

Hunted this past week/weekend, we hunt just about 600 acres about 8 miles west of town and we saw a total of 20 deer all weekend and some probably the same deer, usually we would see 10-15 a hunt at each blind. I would say we were 80% wiped out. Our landowner made us a great deal over the next few years due to this situation so we are going to sit tight for a little while and see if it improves.

Comment

Working...
                                X