No announcement yet.

Roofer involvement in hail damage claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're roofer creates an estimate using Xactimate pricing (industry standard for insurance companies and restoration contractors) the scope of work/repairs is what will determine the value of the loss. If the line items included in both are the same; the value of the loss will be nearly identical. Different ball game from cash estimates. My estimates are almost always higher than the insurance carrier's because of missing line items from the scope of repairs. Roofers will normally work with the insurance company's scope of repairs and then "supplement" anything that's missing or before or after the work is completed and then include any additional repairs that couldn't have been foreseen at the time of the adjuster's inspection (ex. additional layers of felt that needed to be removed, sheathing repairs, etc.). Anyway, I hear you. If you want them to create a detailed scope of work to give you then they should accommodate but also consider "interviewing" different roofers and find the one you want to "supplement" your insurance company instead of getting estimates because in the end, that is what is going to happen anyway unless you will be handling all the communication and invoicing with your insurance company yourself. Just my .02. Hope it helps. Your only cost should be your deductible, upgrades, and anything you don't have coverage for (cosmetic exclusions for example).
    Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 12-09-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working off the insurance bid helps them not commit insurance fraud.
      I don't mind giving a client a bed but if I do- I never want to see the insurance paperwork.
      I deal with the roof and the client- perfectly legal. the client can deal with the insurance.
      If I see the insurance paperwork I have to go by the insurance paperwork.

Comment

We request to meet with the adjuster, but do not require a signed contract. ItÂ’d a way to earn your business by going the extra mile. One would think adjusters are craftsmen of their trade, and many are, some are not. I can share horror stories of poor adjustments and these aren’t pee pee matches between the roofer and the insurance company fighting over extra dollars.

I have a lady whose house we roofed 18 months ago. She gets hit again in April. Advised her to make a claim. Adjuster comes out, approved the claim. However this claim comes in several squares smaller and did not include the right grade of roofing materials. Completely screwed the pooch on the claim. Claim is $3,000 less than what is necessary to properly restore her home. Had I been present we could have confirmed quantities and components. Instead it began a back and forth that lasted from June to November to get the supplement approved.

Have a roofer present, a good one who doesent require a contract and wonÂ’t nickel and dime your insurance carrier but will fight to make sure your claim is appropriate for the damage

Comment

I could be wrong, it’s happened before. I thought in Texas it was illegal for any contractors to negotiate a claim on a insureds behalf. I thought you had to be a public adjuster to represent a homeowner in an insurance claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
            I could be wrong, it’s happened before. I thought in Texas it was illegal for any contractors to negotiate a claim on a insureds behalf. I thought you had to be a public adjuster to represent a homeowner in an insurance claim?
            This is correct according to law … Technically

Comment

A roofer cant negotiate the PRICE of a roof. They can negotiate the claim and what all is needed to complete the job. I dont do contracts until we are just about to do the roof and even then, if the customer wants to back at that is fine and i dont hold them to anything. I like meeting with adjusters just so everyone is on the same page.
              As far as “pocket money”.... well, good luck. Hard to do anymore because normally the first check doesnt cover everything.
              I do EVERYTHING on the insurance estimates unless the customer says not to do something.

I really wish they would make roofers have a license in Texas though... be alot easier and keep the overnighters out

Comment

If a salesman (call them what they are - they aren't roofers) offers to represent you or work on your behalf, you're working with a criminal.

Representing, negotiating, settling, whatever word you want to use....of an insurance claim for the policyholder is the exclusive purview of 2 types of people ---

attorneys and licensed public adjusters.

Honestly, I've been an adjuster for a long, long time, and there's no way in hell that I would sign anything with a roofer, give them any money up front, or rely on anything that they tell me in regards to an insurance claim.

(and yes, I know a few good roofers - they don't need a contract from me, they have the financial standing to finance a job, and they don't stick their nose where it doesn't belong. If that describes you, then I'm not talking about you

Comment

Here comes the bashing of roofers. Like I tell my home owners there is bad people on every side. There is bad adjusters, there is bad homeowners, and there is also bad roofers. But not all are bad in any category. Good luck and do your research. If you have any questions pm me I'll be happy to answer them. I'm sure some of these other guys can answer them as well.

Comment

New law went into effect about deductibles. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but believe somethibg to the effect that companies, i.e., roofing, cannot waive deductibles and must be paid.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Baystealth89 View Post
                      Here comes the bashing of roofers. Like I tell my home owners there is bad people on every side. There is bad adjusters, there is bad homeowners, and there is also bad roofers. But not all are bad in any category. Good luck and do your research. If you have any questions pm me I'll be happy to answer them. I'm sure some of these other guys can answer them as well.
                      No joke. I try to do everything to HELP the homeowner and still get called a snake. I know some really chitty adjusters also. Especially allstate ones

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                        New law went into effect about deductibles. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but believe somethibg to the effect that companies, i.e., roofing, cannot waive deductibles and must be paid.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Basically... plus has to be paid up front and proof (cc/debit card receipt) sent to the insurance company in many cases as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          If a salesman (call them what they are - they aren't roofers) offers to represent you or work on your behalf, you're working with a criminal.

Representing, negotiating, settling, whatever word you want to use....of an insurance claim for the policyholder is the exclusive purview of 2 types of people ---

attorneys and licensed public adjusters.
                          So then why is this allowed? I know TDI has gone after a few roofing companies in the past, but why have they not filed on any insurance companies? Are they not just as criminally liable for knowingly working with a roofing company?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            So then why is this allowed? I know TDI has gone after a few roofing companies in the past, but why have they not filed on any insurance companies? Are they not just as criminally liable for knowingly working with a roofing company?
                            It’s been the Wild West for too long.

To answer your question, no....the carrier can pretty much do what they want, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              It’s been the Wild West for too long.

To answer your question, no....the carrier can pretty much do what they want, unfortunately.
                              I agree with Wild West. Thats why i wish they would go with making roofers be licensed.

I see more problems with roofers hiring public adjusters... errr homeowners being told to hire them, than salesmen being the problem. Im by myself. No salesmen no nothing. Each customer deals wo the owner directly

Comment

went threw the same a year or so ago , what I learned is that a 6k roof is the same as a 10k roof . thats is why you cant get a legit bid with out the roofing companys wanting to get involved with your insurance company .

Comment

Working...
                                X