Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Any Ford mechanics on board...misfiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    My son came home from college for thanksgiving and after I asked him if the truck was running ok... he said, Oh yeah, i was gonna tell ya, it has been running bad and says check engine. Geez...

I went to Autozone and it said the cam position sensor was bad and # 5 cylinder was misfiring. Along with an EVAP issue.

It is a 2002 F150 with the 4.6 engine. Had OEM platinum plugs and coils replaced 60K miles ago. Truck has 153K miles on it.

I ended up taking him back to school as I thought I had it corrected, but nope...

after the autozone Cam position sensor along with a coil did not fix the issue I got a ford OEM cam sensor. helped a lot. now to my delima...

It starts fine and idles fine. At about 45 MPH and RPM of about 12-1300...if I accelerate gently, it misfires quite a bit. If i give it enough gas to downshift and raise RPM to 2000, runs smooth as can be...... WHY ? bad plug?

I disconnected the battery to clear the codes and check engine light is not on anymore. IDEAS ???

thanx,
    I work at a Ford dealership what are the codes number like p0305 a technician is going to need to know that.
    Thanks Anthony

Comment

Also, get yourself a $20 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner off Amazon and download the Torque Pro app....

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
        I work at a Ford dealership what are the codes number like p0305 a technician is going to need to know that.
        Thanks Anthony
        Will have to look when I get home from work

Comment

I didn't read thru all the responses but I had the same issue with my old ford and every time it ended up being a bad coil. It would take it a few weeks at times before the check engine light would come on. What I would do when it did that was pull the wire off one injector at a time and power brake until I found the cylinder that it didn't make it worse. I had to do this a lot, reason why I don't own a Ford anymore.

Comment

Had a similar issue on that same engine.It was the air/fuel mix valve.$100 part back then.Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
              Also, get yourself a $20 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner off Amazon and download the Torque Pro app....
              Sounds like that would be a handy thing to have

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                Sounds like that would be a handy thing to have
                It is.....👍

If my truck is running it's in operation with data showing on my old Note 3 phone.....
                Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-09-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X