Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4? Talk me out of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care what you get but I put 100k miles on an 18 with the 5.0 in 14 months without one issue...Dad had the big eco in his last king ranch & we both prefer the torque / curve of the V8 power.

Find a long bed 4x4 if you can..it's not much longer really but sure does help, especially if you throw on a box.

Comment

I have a 13 with the 6.5' bed. Lifetime mileage on mine is 14.9 and I've towed my Ranger Crew on a 16' trailer for about 10000 miles of the 150k I have on it. I do have the rattle on startup that was a problem with the 13's and other years. It's not to the point I want to do the $3500 repair to replace timing chain, phasers, etc.

All in all, it's been a great engine. I'd buy another one.

Comment

I have a 5.0 not an ecoboost but, it has been a great truck for me. I bought a 15' two years ago, I've put close to 60k miles on it, about 10k of that is towing something (32' camper, 10'-18' flatbed with 4wheelers or Ranger/Mule). The truck has been great, body has held up well. Mechanically the truck is sound and has not been in the shop other than regular maintenance.

The 3.5 eco is quicker and will pull better due simply due to where it makes it's power in the RPM band but, as far as mileage goes, it's going to be a wash between the 3.5 eco and 5.0. A lot of guys getting high teens and some getting low teens in a stock 5.0 CC 4x4. Bigger/heavier tires will affect the mpg’s though. I get 14.5-16 depending on the hwy.

Whichever route you go, the F150 is a good truck and will meet your needs provided you're not hauling a heavy load frequently. If I had to haul my old 32' camper more than a few times a year I would have gone up in truck as you definitely notice the weight behind you. And, get the 6.5' bed. The extra foot makes a big difference.

Last edited by chongo; 12-05-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

A chevy will prolly get better fuel mileage in a couple years. Most of the electronics will be broke by then and the alternator won't be dragging the motor down un-necessarily.

Comment

i will tell you I highly recomend you go with Ram and the hemi. they get great fuel mileage these days and IMO a much nicer truck. I owned a 13 model ford 5.0 FX4 and it was really nice, but I think the ram will hold up better

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              i will tell you I highly recomend you go with Ram and the hemi. they get great fuel mileage these days and IMO a much nicer truck. I owned a 13 model ford 5.0 FX4 and it was really nice, but I think the ram will hold up better

[emoji2361] No offense but it’s not the motor that is the problem with the dodge half tons. It’s just the rest of the truck. I’m sure Dad will chime in soon as he just got rid of his. As in basically had to give it away. AC, transmission, interior falling apart, and lots of rattles. It was a pretty truck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought an '18 F-150 the summer of '18. I have about 35k miles on it now. 4x4 crew cab with the 5.0, not the eco.

I was a bit leary of the ecoboost long term. I usually keep my trucks a long time and felt like the 5.0 might possibly cause less issues way down the road. Maybe, maybe not. But I will tell you I am very pleased with the 5.0. I just have stock tires on it but my mileage has been way better than i expected and much better than the 5.0s a few years ago. i don't know if the difference is the 10 speed transmission or what. I am not a speed demon and generally drive the speed limit. I regularly get 18-19 mpg and have gotten over 20 mpg before on a longer trip. Not on the display, display will show 18.5-21 mpg.

The downside is, it goes to crap when trailering. It pulls just fine but pulling my 20' tandem axle utility trailer empty down the highway drops it to about 14 mpg on a good day. Add a little weight or wind resistance like a deer stand and it is more like 11 mpg on the highway.

I have had a couple minor issues so far. I had an oil pressure sensor go out once which then showed I had no oil pressure. I also have had some weird electrical/sensor issues on rare occasion with the AC and outdoor temp sensor. My AC quit working one day and at the same time the clock was wrong and the outdoor temp was showing 30 degrees on a 75 degree day. The AC would not cool. Everytime I started it that day it showed a different temp and time and no AC. Then I crank it one time and the correct time and temp came up and the AC worked again and has ever since. But I have to think that issue will be back again at some point.

Overall it's been a good truck. I love the ride and i am happy with the power and the fuel economy. Not as happy with all the electronic crap that I'd just as soon not have.

Comment

Called the only ex-player of mine I know in the car business. He has a 14' king ranch 60,000 miles. It has 3.5l V6, 3.55 rear end, one owner in really good shape. In the colors I like for $25k
                  Sounds interesting.

Comment

I have a 2013 Eco Boost 4x4 with max tow package. 36 gallon tank and 3.73 rear end. From the dealership I was getting around 14.5 MPG. I upgraded to 33", 10 ply tires and I now get around 13 MPG. Love the truck. I'm at 70K miles right now with zero issues so far.
                    Last edited by 44mAG; 12-05-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

To the OP. I have a 2018 F150 Lariat SCrew, 4X4 with max tow package. The max tow package included the 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 gears and 36 gallon tank. No problems so far at 21k miles. I've tracked every tanks with my best mileage on a tank at 18.4 mpg; lifetime average to-date is 15.1 mpg. When I tow a 21' center console boat, I get 9-10 mpg. I drive the speed limit ish. So 75 mph on the highway empty and 70 mph when towing (just because that is the speed I'm comfortable with while towing). No problems towing or braking with the boat.

I played around with trying to maximize my mileage on some long flat roads and the lie o' meter says I'm getting 23-24 mpg if I set the cruise control at 55 mph. Normal mileage for me is around 16-17 mpg as a combination city/highway driving. I do enjoy the sport mode but that really is for fun and drives my mileage way down. No complaints about the truck so far, except I would have liked to see 20 mpg on highway trips.

Comment

Get one with a 10 speed. 18+ with the exception of a few ecoboosts in 17 I believe. Only other suggestions are to stay away from 3.31 rear end and get the 36 gallon tank if you can swing that. The extra range is nice. I love my 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                          [emoji2361] No offense but it’s not the motor that is the problem with the dodge half tons. It’s just the rest of the truck. I’m sure Dad will chime in soon as he just got rid of his. As in basically had to give it away. AC, transmission, interior falling apart, and lots of rattles. It was a pretty truck though.

What year model was your Dad’s Ram?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Called the only ex-player of mine I know in the car business. He has a 14' king ranch 60,000 miles. It has 3.5l V6, 3.55 rear end, one owner in really good shape. In the colors I like for $25k
                            Sounds interesting.

That seems high for a 6 year old vehicle to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              What year model was your Dad’s Ram?

IMO, it don't matter what year it is. Sounds exactly like the same issues I had with my 07. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                The problem is the Hemi will tick. I've not seen one that doesn't start ticking. On top of that, while not a problem in Texas, Dodge body panels consistently rust out in 5-7 years if they travel in places that salt the roads. Comparable GM and Ford body panels won't rust at all (Apart from the GM bed) anymore due to the aluminum bodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X