Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Burning that trophy tag early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning that trophy tag early

It's always hard for me to do. It seems like every year December brings about new bucks. One year I did shoot my trophy the second week in October, which proved the right decision that year.

This year I took an opportunity at a buck early November. Having a 15 month old and 3 month old at home, and the year we've had with them, I new my time would be limited in the woods. I had some hesitation in shooting, but he was mature and kept me from eating tag soup.

Last week I pull cards to find a stud of a buck. Then this morning, I watched for 30 minutes a tremendous buck that I've only had a few random pics of for two years now. I sure was wishing I had my tag still!

What stories do you guys have of touching that trigger just a little too soon?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don’t sweat it, but I have places to hunt in three counties, and one of them is MLD. I killed a 138” at home last week, but there’s a nicer one on my lease in the neighboring county. He failed to show this morning though......

Comment

I was OK with it. Coyotes beware from here on out. I'm sure I'll see something bigger but oh well I can shoot it with my camera.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hard to do down south unless it's just a bonified giant. We see so many new bucks during the rut, and they seem to get bigger and bigger.
        Last edited by Mexico; 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

This year I killed mine on opening day of rifle season. It was a good deer but it has taken some of the fun out of the rest of the season. The one year I passed on a good buck early I ended up with a tag.
          I’m just hoping the big ones I’m seeing now make it through the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nah it's always a holdout for me. Usually it ends with me taking a management or cull with my trophy tag. They still eat good.

Gary

Comment

Y’all are spoiled! I haven’t SEEN an over 13” on my lease since 2013 LOL!

Jason.

Comment

I passed up a lot of shots on some good bucks, twice this week on a very wide 10. Still hoping for the one that I can't let walk but it may not happen.

Comment

Never pass on the first day, what you would shoot on the last day.

Comment

My problem is I have 2 young kids and a wife that works too. So my hunting time can be very limited with spending time with the family or working. I love to hunt but feels as if I'm almost rushing to hang my tag on a shooter. Just yesterday I shot my buck even though the latest card pull revealed a new buck that was bigger but too sporadic for me to hope for on limited time.

Comment

I'd love to have that problem.

Comment

It happens. I had 2 target bucks at my panhandle lease this year. I shot the smaller of the 2 early. However, the other wasn't that much bigger. Truly to hunt trophy deer you have to allocate lots of time!

Comment

I shot a nice one opening week of archery. It's hard to go the rest of the year now not hunting a big deer but no way I was passing that one up. It was my best buck yet. Plus I get to hunt with my grandson now for his 1st buck! It's a win/win!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually don't mind it. I shot my target buck this weekend down near the southern border, and now when we go back for a week+ after xmas during the rut, I can corn / scout and try to get my buddies on a big deer. Takes all the pressure off, and now I can just relax.

Comment

If a buck walks in and my first instinct is to grab my bow instead of my binos I shoot it whether its the first day of the season or the last.

Comment

Working...
                              X