No announcement yet.

Burning that trophy tag early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t pass up a buck on the first day that you would shoot on the last day!
    I’ve heard that said a few times and it rings true for some of us!

Comment

You just never know. We got drawn for the chap on a gun hunt a few years ago, and I shot a nice 130 inch 10-point with an almost 19-inch spread 35 minutes into a 4 day hunt. It’s still the biggest buck I’ve ever taken. Two days later I had to watch a beautiful 10 in the 150s for about 30 minutes. That said, my 130 was the biggest buck our group killed, so you just never know. If you shoot early you risk having to pass a better buck later, but if you pass early you may never get another shot.

Comment

I inevitably wind up killing a buck in January just about every season, so by that time it’s almost over anyway. This year I got mine early so I’m not even going to sit in the blind where my true number one hit-lister lurks till next year. I’ve got another blind where I can focus on pigs.

It’s going to be a long 10 months though. I know that much for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
          We hunt in a 3 buck no restrictions county. This is mostly a self imposed rule in order to keep some mature deer for the following year. I still get a cull and some doe if I care too.

Just dont care too right now. Unless I see a sure enough 6 yr old spike or 5 point or anything in that category. Im just just as thrilled taking them out, just have not seen anything of the sort this year.

One deer last my family all year. Heck, I had to give away some of my buck from last year to make room for the one I got this year.

I’m in a 3 buck county also and only shoot one buck per year as a trophy. Most or the time I only shoot that one deer because that’s all the meat I need. However I keep driving 9 hrs in hopes of seeing a 160 plus during the rut to shoot another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m done for the year. Shot a doe and my biggest buck yet Saturday morning. He was the first buck I’ve seen in person since season started and have 2 pics of him in August and that’s it. So I got lucky....

I also shot a doe opening day of bow season. It’s weird knowing I’m done already, and I didn’t even kill a deer last year. Guess I could go shoot pigs and the old 3 point I had I cam

Comment

That is part of my my enjoyment of E. Texas hunting. Just hunt where you think they may move and see what happens. I don't really use cameras and the hogs live at the feeders. Got my biggest buck this year but with a rifle, next year its all in with the bow!
              Tyler

Comment

I passed on two good bucks in bow season hoping my son would get one of them. They have since disappeared along with all the other deer. Not super bummed about it on my part, still holding out hope for my son. He’s getting a little discouraged though. Several sits without a deer sighting.

Comment

Kill early and fish during the best months of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X