No announcement yet.

Deer hung on fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago I was at our Coleman lease by myself during Thanksgiving week and on the way back from the AM hunt I saw a deer standing by another lease member's feeder pen. Stopped the 4-wheeler and looked through the binoculars (probably 400 yards away) looked like a young buck. Cool. Rode on back to camp, ate breakfast and then went to check a little-used tree stand that I intended to hunt from that PM. Looked over and saw that deer STILL standing there. Thought it very odd so I went to get a closer look. A little 5-point buck had gotten his head stuck through the top row of the cattle panel pen and couldn't get out. I tried to push his head back through but he was freaking out so that wasn't happening. I rode back to camp, got a hacksaw & returned. Cut the top wire, bent it up & pushed him out. He thrashed around, fell down, then jumped up and ran off. He was awful lucky to not be a coyote pack's Thanksgiving dinner.

Comment

listen to that little voice in your head
      It's saved my bacon many times.

Good job on releasing the deer. The only one's that I have found like that (2) were long dead.

Comment

I found a young red stag, maybe 1.5 years old, caught in a fence. Back leg was twisted over in the top strand of wire. I managed to cut one strand and free his leg. For that I got a quick, HARD, kick to the chest. Knocked me down. He ran off slowly....I cussed him!

Comment

Buddy of mine found a small buck hung in the fence it was barely alive he got out of his truck got the buck loose and it fell to the ground and never got up it just laid there a long time finally my friend went ahead and shot it the good thing and the reason I’m telling the story is this he tagged that buck I asked him why and he said because I am the one who killed it -great guy.

Comment

We had a yearling buck that was stuck in a fence near our feeder a few weeks back (just happened to drive the fence line which we rarely do) We got to him and he was barely alive, back hip broken, hide rubbed down to the bone already from trying to free himself & the achilles tendon was snapped

Fought for 10-15 minutes trying to wedge him out and had nothing to cut the fence with so we decided the best thing to do was for him to just lose that foot (wasn't going to work anyways)

We ended up freeing him by that method (the details i'll leave out) and he went on his way.

While we were able to free him from the fence, I'm sure predators/nature ended up winning. Long story short, we made the best decision and gave him a chance to make it.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

I commend your efforts, and have done and will continue to do the same. That being said, a lot of deer won’t survive the stress of getting hung in a fence.

Comment

My wife and I were leaving the lease one Sunday morning, passed by the neighbor’s place and saw a goat had his horn hung in the fence. I stopped and started trying to worm his horn out of that net wire and he started “helping” me. He about mashed the hell out of my thumb but I got him out. He never even thanked me........

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    My wife and I were leaving the lease one Sunday morning, passed by the neighbor’s place and saw a goat had his horn hung in the fence. I stopped and started trying to worm his horn out of that net wire and he started “helping” me. He about mashed the hell out of my thumb but I got him out. He never even thanked me........
                    Goats are like that, just rude and inconsiderate.

Comment

Working...
                    X