Backcountry Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
    Well, that's what I'm trying to do here, figure out what the "good" boots are lol.

I agree with many of yall, I'm willing to drop some coin on these boots. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Really depends on the person, amount of travel and budget.

Work boots don’t offer the torsional side to side stability I prefer. They also typically don’t come with the stiffness or the sole softness I prefer.

If you just hunt 5 days a year out west get a throw away pair of Merrill, Columbia or Salomons.

If you want a stronger, more supportive, resole-able option. Look at Hanwag, Upper end Lowa, zamberlan, crispi, schnees/gronell, la sportiva, etc. Each one of these Mfg’s lasts differ so your foot may hate or love them, but regardless quality is there, along with different degrees of stiffness.

If you hunt any late season mountain, I in courage you to get a boot that’s atleast semi crampon compatible, not required by any means but even micro spikes can make a frozen packout 10x more enjoyable and safer. Like adding snow/ice chains to your truck

Comment

Nuff said.
      Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
      Kennetrek are great boots.

Comment

Under armour fat tires hiking shoes served me well for 2 weeks this year. Zero different than tennis shoes. Lighter than leather, breathe better etc. If it's good enuff for cam hanes, it's good enough for me!!

Comment

Any particular style for the application described above?Yeah those are pricey!

Kennetrek mountain extremes.

Comment

Well, that's what I'm trying to do here, figure out what the "good" boots are lol.

I agree with many of yall, I'm willing to drop some coin on these boots. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mine are Lowas.

Comment

Crispi Thor’s gtx here. I love them.

Comment

I run La Sportiva trango cube gtx. You can’t convince me any leather boot is better than this synthetic and it’s a light mountaineering boot. Pretty stiff and handles the weight of heavy packs, plenty of grip if you need to kick your toe in, and sidehills like a champ. I have close to 100 miles on them with not a blister one and that includes a Dall sheep hunt.

Depending on the elk terrain it could be overkill but you will want stiff if you’re packing out on foot

Comment

Anyone wear the Soloman 4D 3gtx? Looking at getting some and reviews say they run small. Some were ordering a whole size larger than normal. Any experience with this?

Comment

Crispi Nevada GTX

Comment

Crispi Wyoming

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                        Anyone wear the Soloman 4D 3gtx? Looking at getting some and reviews say they run small. Some were ordering a whole size larger than normal. Any experience with this?
                        I have the Salomon X-Ultra GTX and they run true to size. Not sure about the 4d.

OP...I very much prefer a GTX style for Sept elk season instead of shin-high version.

Comment

I wore these this year and they were great. I thought they were true to size.

Comment

I love mine. I put a LOT of miles on them this year. I ordered true to size, but most of the reviews I read was more along the lines of the fact that they run somewhat narrow. If you wear a wide boot or shoe, I am not sure I would go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              Like my Lowa Renegades.
                              Another vote for these. If you’re an REI member they have an awesome return policy.

Comment

Salomon Quest 4D gtx

Comment

Working...
                                X