X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
    4l80's will hold 600hp all day in stock form. This is not a 4l60 pos
    What was in the 2005s??

We had one with 4:10s it ate 2 Tourque converters trying to pull.
    Holding the horsepower vs pulling with it for hours at a time with a constant load on it trying to constantly shift up and down is a different story.

I know the 8.1L had the allison thats the way to go. If you want to stay gas.

Comment

Being an LS guy and swapping cams, heads, lifters, springs etc on LS1 motors, you can get a ton of power and build the motor to handle it.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Define a lot.

Without boost you aren’t going to see large gains but you can sure sink a lot of money into it.

The new Explorer ST with the 3.0L ecoboost is getting almost 100hp/160tq to the wheels gain with just a tune and a little E85 Ethanol blended in a tank of premium fuel.

$650 investment in the tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Eco Junk.

Guess I may be going to find out first hand.

I know you are a mechanic but I’ve spoken with my mechanic and his opinion is different.

Comment

You can build an LS motor to still be legal with tons of power. The days of "visual" inspections and deleted diesels is coming to an end, and quick. Now, I am not saying I am against deleting diesels...but the tuning companies are getting closed down and stiffer penalties. Waiting on the day a 3/4 gas motor with a turbo is introduced, I see that coming.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Help me understand this statement. Gas vehicle are required to pass an actual emissions test while diesels only get a visual inspection so how is the LS saving hassles and how are you going to pass the emissions test once cammed etc?

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Being an LS guy and swapping cams, heads, lifters, springs etc on LS1 motors, you can get a ton of power and build the motor to handle it.

That’s great for drag strip or stoplight drags.

Not so much for towing.

I can’t imagine the fuel mileage being worth a crap.

Comment

You dont have to go with a 233/239: 112 lope cam built for performance only. And going back to the mpg talk, who in the heck buys a truck that tows and worries about mpg?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              That’s great for drag strip or stoplight drags.

Not so much for towing.

I can’t imagine the fuel mileage being worth a crap.

Comment

You dont have to go with a 233/239: 112 lope cam built for performance only. And going back to the mpg talk, who in the heck buys a truck that tows and worries about mpg?
                Every diesel guy apparently, thats what they always talk about

Comment

GMC 2500 with 6.0 upgrades for pullingfor pulling

It’s a factor in my decisions. Fact is I drive unladen more than I do towing heavy as do most folks.

Anyone who seriously tows a lot typically will have a diesel. They are just better at it and theres no arguing that point.

Comment

On 96 and newer cars that are being inspected in an "emissions" county it fails the inspection if the light is on.

Hope all that makes sense.

They don’t put the sensor in the tailpipe while the computer senses exhaust in your County? In mine they do.

Comment

That’s county specific, most county's do a OBDII scan.

OP, hope some of this info helped. If you go diesel, Cummins pre 07 with 5.9 and Manuel trans if you tie a lot.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      They don’t put the sensor in the tailpipe while the computer senses exhaust in your County? In mine they do.

Comment

The trans temp gauge in the dash works great. If it’s off the sender is bad.
                        Kooks headers and y pipe and don’t look back (I’ve got them on my 2001 1500)
                        Leave the 4l80 stock, upgrade cooler if anything.
                        Get a custom tune done and then consider the cam swap.
                        If you are doing a cam swap regardless go back with thinner head gaskets, do the trunion upgrades, have the heads flat milled to get more compression if the cam wants it.

By the time you do all that you may be able to just supercharge or turbo the truck though.

How tall are your tires?
                        A gear swap my do wonders for you.
                        I don't remember tire size but they are stock. Thank you for the info. For those saying sell and get a diesel. I do not want to sell this truck nor do I want a diesel of any brand. I do not mind putting money into this truck, its paid for and I will be keeping it many more years. I will be in the market for a newer truck in a year or so. I do not care that much about the MPG, if I can get 8-9 pulling, that would be great. If its lower, it is what it is. I do not want to put power adders-supercharge/turbo etc. I do not want to pull the heads. Thanks again to all for throwing advice and opinions on this. Good info to read.
                        thx

Comment

Working...
                        X