No announcement yet.

Asp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep - been seeing and killing a few around my yard. They seem to fall out of the live oak trees, end up on the sidewalk or in the yard, or crawling up on yard furniture. Instantly stomp, smush them!! Can’t stand them darn things!

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
      Vinegar works the same as pee. No need to be peeing on yourself or someone else.

You just ruined half my party tricks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ASP!! When I was a kid one was on my cotton fuzzy collered jacket and I never saw it as it blended in. I had a forest green turtle neck on underneath- yes this was the late 70's[emoji1787]. That thing sting my neck and the poison permanently dyed my shirt white on the shoulder and all around the collar from the poison of the sting. They are demons#!! Needless to say I was hollering and crying like a little girl!!

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Comment

why cant these go extinct??..seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
            Vinegar works the same as pee. No need to be peeing on yourself or someone else.
            I do not pack vinegar when I go fishing. Pee also works on Jelly Fish stings.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
              I do not pack vinegar when I go fishing. Pee also works on Jelly Fish stings.
              I got stung by a jelly fish in Jamaica on the chest and this caterpillar is just like that, same feeling.

Comment

Roll over on one when your under your truck changing u joints.........great times

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                  I got stung by a jelly fish in Jamaica on the chest and this caterpillar is just like that, same feeling.
                  Anything that oozes on your skin vinegar / pee stops.
                  Anything that stings you like a bee, yellow jacket take an onion and cut it in half and put it on the sting. Learned this from an old black lady on the bayou in Louisiana 40 years ago......
                  Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 11-22-2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                    Anything that oozes on your skin vinegar / pee stops.
                    Anything that stings you like a bee, yellow jacket take an onion and cut it in half and put it on the sting. Learned this from an old black lady on the bayou in Louisiana 40 years ago......
                    Marie Laveau

Comment

Do asps have a stinger / fangs?? How do they deliver the poison?? Haven't seen one in a long time.

Bet I'm allergic to them like most other poisonous devils.

Comment

Made me pucker looking at that photo
                        But once as a young boy and thought it was a copperhead.
                        Why in the heck those things have evolved and survived is beyond me.

Comment

They are of little importance as enemies of shade trees, but they can cause a severe sting. When a **** moth caterpillar rubs or is pressed against the skin, venomous spines stick into the skin, causing a severe burning sensation and rash.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Do asps have a stinger / fangs?? How do they deliver the poison?? Haven't seen one in a long time.

Bet I'm allergic to them like most other poisonous devils.
                            All those fuzzy hairs are "stingers". Tape placed over the area of the sting and then pulled away will remove a lot of the caterpillar hairs. Bifen, permethrin, and others in the same chemical class will take them out real quick. Just spray whatever trees or shrubs they're coming from.

Comment

We was hanging limb lines on the river and my buddy got hit with one of them on his forearm. We was a long ways from the truck and I started to get worried about him. His arm went numb and he got red streaks all over his arm with lots of pain. I ran the boat up on the bank and helped him out and he laid up under a tree for a few hours. Bad stuff.

Comment

As a child, I ended up in the emergency room . We didn't know what had bitten me , but suspected it was an asp. A few years ago, I got stung by one and it really messed up the rest of my day. I tried a number of things (but not pee). I believe I probably tried vinegar, meat tenderizer, and ginger root. The ginger root seemed to provide the best relief. Of course I had to run to HEB to get some, and then grate it up. But I was desperate for relief.

Comment

Working...
                                X