Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can a deer live after double lung....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    I guess anything can happen. I have never seen it, hope I never do.

The chest cavity operates under a vacuum. Two holes in the ribcage eliminates the vacuum, 4 holes in the lungs eliminates the ability to breathe, I don't see how a deer or any animal can survive that, regardless if the wound is high or low in the lungs. I haven't had a double lunged deer go over 80yds.

The only way I think it could happen is if the broadhead blades were dull and the wounds sealed off due to trauma.

Good subject, good discussion

I’m an EMT and I’d never believe it either. I’m telling you that where the scars were on that deer the only way they didn’t get both lungs is if his lungs were half the size of regular lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting topic. I shot a deer recently that I think I caught the upper part of both lungs. I had it all on video and the shot looked good, but I knew I hit above the heart. Got out after thirty minutes and found good blood. Tracked for about 60 yards of really good blood. Then the blood got more like a drop every few feet. That went on for about 40 yards, but then it opened back up to good blood. After about 20 more yards it went almost completely dry. Tracked for about 6 more hours and couldn’t find anymore.
      I’m guessing it was a double lung but I think I pushed him.

Comment

If I can figure out how to edit the video down I will post here. If not I will at least get a few screen shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
          I’m an EMT and I’d never believe it either. I’m telling you that where the scars were on that deer the only way they didn’t get both lungs is if his lungs were half the size of regular lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have seen this a few times as well where a perfectly shot deer just wouldnt give up. Jooger and I trailed an old ten I shot for two days before he finally died. He was shot as perfect as he could be shot. Both lungs and a slow on the heart.

A few years ago I killed an old 12 pt with a rifle. When I tried to take a shoulder off there was a big ball of gristle between his shoulder and ribs. As I cut through it my knife hit an aluminum arrow shaft with a 100 gr muzzy on it. The point was stopped by his shoulder bone in the arm pit and there was about 8 inches of shaft back inside his chest. I picked the skin up and found a perfect muzzy scar mid body behind the off side shoulder. Whoever shot that deer hit him text book perfect several years earlier.

I could go on and on. Sometimes freak stuff happens.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

The only way I think it could happen is if the broadhead blades were dull and the wounds sealed off due to trauma.
            Razor sharp broadheads are the key to clean kills.

In 40 years of bowhunting I don't think I ever had a lung hit deer live more than about 20 seconds or go over 100 yards...even a single lung hit. I hand sharpen my heads, and if they won't shave hair I won't shoot them.

I have seen a double lunged buck live for about 45 minutes though. My friend shot one that ran about 50 yards and laid down. He climbed down from the stand, figuring it would expire in the time it took to come get me to help load it. When we got there it was still alive and we had to finish it off. Seeing the perfect broadside double lung shot, I asked him if his broadheads were sharp.
            He said the one he used felt sharp, and he had only SHOT IT INTO THE TARGET 3 TIMES.

Dull broadheads push arteries aside and result in more shock, trauma, and fast clotting.

Comment

I have seen this more than once. The deer that GarGuy talks about is probably the most pronounced case. For 150yds of that deer there were 2 blood trails. 1 looked like you rolled out a 1” wide red ribbon and there were steering wheel size blows on the other side every time it took a breath. GG shot that deer at 7:30am if I remember right and it was around 10 before I got there. We jumped the deer over a mile into the track at about 1:30pm. GG called me the next morning around 9am saying he’d found the deer but was pretty sure that coyotes had actually killed it. I got there around 10:30am, appx 27 hours AFTER the deer had been shot and there was still steam off of the insides and the deer wasn’t even stiff. He’d dead centered 1 lung, caught the back of another, and knocked a chunck the size of a walnut out of the heart.

I shot one with a .308 at 40 yards one time and blew pieces of lung the size of a baseball out on the other side him. Had to finish him off 13 hours later with a shotgun.

My nephew’s 1st bow deer was shot the day before opening day of general season with an arrow hanging out both sides of the deer. A perfect 10 ring shot through both lungs. Another lease member had shot that buck opening evening of bow season. The lungs were actually closed back up on the arrow shaft.

Comment

Working...
              X