Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we gonna crucify this guy, too? He posted this earlier today. The story speaks for itself, but far be it from me to judge him for taking a long shot on a whitetail that he’d been after for 2 years, in ETX no less. Oh, and he was convinced that the deer was about to make an exit. Sounds strangely familiar...

3 hours before I shot the big buck, I passed up and videoed what would have been my best bow buck ever (see page 6). Why? He was too far (40+) for what I could reasonably expect to hit accurately. How many guys woulda flung one anyway? Yeah, lots. Look, I’m not asking for a pat on the back for that, but for not knowing me personally, I think I established that I try to be responsible with shot placement. Margin for error is what bites on a frontal shot.

I felt like I had a reasonable chance of hitting that small sweet spot at 15 yards on the big buck. Turns out I’m human and I missed the mark. I have to live with that forever. I applaud those of you who have never gambled and lost.

I respect IBEP and what it teaches, and generally agree with everything. But that’s a product written by a group of people with their own subjective opinions that also subscribe to a very conservative view of shot opportunities. Again, the whole ethics notion is short-sighted to me. Put down the bow and blast ‘em in the head so it explodes. No suffering, 100% recovery.

Guess it’s not really about ethics after all, is it. It’s about calculated gambling with a bow & arrow. Gambling at its core is subject to the individual’s appetite for risk. I took a calculated risk and lost. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
      Are we gonna crucify this guy, too? He posted this earlier today. The story speaks for itself, but far be it from me to judge him for taking a long shot on a whitetail that he’d been after for 2 years, in ETX no less. Oh, and he was convinced that the deer was about to make an exit. Sounds strangely familiar...

3 hours before I shot the big buck, I passed up and videoed what would have been my best bow buck ever (see page 6). Why? He was too far (40+) for what I could reasonably expect to hit accurately. How many guys woulda flung one anyway? Yeah, lots. Look, I’m not asking for a pat on the back for that, but for not knowing me personally, I think I established that I try to be responsible with shot placement. Margin for error is what bites on a frontal shot.

I felt like I had a reasonable chance of hitting that small sweet spot at 15 yards on the big buck. Turns out I’m human and I missed the mark. I have to live with that forever. I applaud those of you who have never gambled and lost.

I respect IBEP and what it teaches, and generally agree with everything. But that’s a product written by a group of people with their own subjective opinions that also subscribe to a very conservative view of shot opportunities. Again, the whole ethics notion is short-sighted to me. Put down the bow and blast ‘em in the head so it explodes. No suffering, 100% recovery.

Guess it’s not really about ethics after all, is it. It’s about calculated gambling with a bow & arrow. Gambling at its core is subject to the individual’s appetite for risk. I took a calculated risk and lost. Life goes on.

As I have stated before my issue wasn’t with the shot. It was with the fact that you had talked to the property owner and been told he would continue to look for the deer and return it to you when found and you went hunting for another buck. You believed the arrow was still in him and cutting him up with every move. Then you got back in the stand and saw the arrow (the biggest piece of evidence that you could have to determine if it was lethal) and instead of getting down to see what the head looked like you kept hunting for another buck.

Personally I couldn’t pull back on another buck knowing there was still a chance I was gonna get the one I had already shot even if it wasn’t against the law.
      You can’t be ticked about people having a different opinion.
      Congrats on the opportunity of a lifetime and I sincerely hope you get to lay hands on that rack soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
        As I have stated before my issue wasn’t with the shot. It was with the fact that you had talked to the property owner and been told he would continue to look for the deer and return it to you when found and you went hunting for another buck. You believed the arrow was still in him and cutting him up with every move. Then you got back in the stand and saw the arrow (the biggest piece of evidence that you could have to determine if it was lethal) and instead of getting down to see what the head looked like you kept hunting for another buck.

Personally I couldn’t pull back on another buck knowing there was still a chance I was gonna get the one I had already shot even if it wasn’t against the law.
        Congrats on the opportunity of a lifetime and I sincerely hope you get to lay hands on that rack soon.

The property owner took him to look for the deer that night I was standing there when they left to go look I even loaned him a light to search with for God's sake Just let it go it's done it's over with he didn't shoot another deer .
        Thanks Anthony

Comment

Just curious, when you shoot a deer, assuming you wait 30 to 45 min to take up the trail, do you take that time to cut out and fill out your tag? When dove hunting and can’t find a bird, or knock one down then it flys off when you go to retrieve it. Do you count that one towards your limit?
          Dude made a bad shot and regrets it, lesson learned.

Comment

I have never understood the need to continue to feed it. With that being said I really do not understand dragging another hunter into it from hundreds of miles away.

Congrats to the hunters that were successful and thanks to those that took us along.

Comment

Woodsman, sorry you lost that deer brother. It sucks. I been there. Sorry too for the extended beating on here. I know you've been a member on here a long time, I have not. But I've read along for years, and this place ain't what it used to be.

This Hagerman thread is done.

Comment

Congrats on the opportunity of a lifetime and I ll it sincerely hope you get to lay hands on that rack soon.

Let me spell it out for you. The arrow was 4 yards from my tree in tall grass that kept me from seeing from the ground the day before. From the tree, I saw it. Grabbed my binos and could see that there was enough shaft in tact that suggested it didn’t penetrate much. I probably hit shoulder.

I didn’t climb down because I have 3 herniated discs and probably shouldn’t have even been climbing trees. I use a wild edge step system + aider loop and that puts a lot of strain on my back. I could see enough with 10x binos nearly directly beneath me. You ever just take somebody at their word? I’m done explaining myself. Either believe me or don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                  Just curious, when you shoot a deer, assuming you wait 30 to 45 min to take up the trail, do you take that time to cut out and fill out your tag? When dove hunting and can’t find a bird, or knock one down then it flys off when you go to retrieve it. Do you count that one towards your limit?

Dude made a bad shot and regrets it, lesson learned.

I don’t tear out my tag but yes I consider it burned unless I have proof that the deer is alive.
                  Yes I would count the dove in my total if I knocked it down because if I get to my limit and the game warden shows up and we stumble on the five that i know is out in the field I’m probably getting a ticket.

Comment

Let me spell it out for you. The arrow was 4 yards from my tree in tall grass that kept me from seeing from the ground the day before. From the tree, I saw it. Grabbed my binos and could see that there was enough shaft in tact that suggested it didn’t penetrate much. I probably hit shoulder.

I didn’t climb down because I have 3 herniated discs and probably shouldn’t have even been climbing trees. I use a wild edge step system + aider loop and that puts a lot of strain on my back. I could see enough with 10x binos nearly directly beneath me. You ever just take somebody at their word? I’m done explaining myself. Either believe me or don’t.

Yes I do take people at their word. I took you at your word when you said the deer was pouring out blood and walking awkwardly. I took you at your word when you said you jumped the deer 150 yards from where you shot it. I took you at your word when you said that the type of terrain on the neighbors property was gonna make it easy for the buzzards to find the buck that you thought might be dead.
                    I’ve got herniated disc as well but if I’ve shot a buck like that you can bet your butt I’ll get down and look at the Broadhead.

Comment

I’m not going to respond to any specific attacks and criticism right now, or maybe ever, because so many here have completely lost sight of what bowhunting truly is—a gamble. By the measure some of y’all are judging me by—NONE OF US SHOULD EVEN BE USING ARCHERY EQUIPMENT because it’s not the most effective means for dispatching an animal. Put your ethics money where your mouth is, and shoot the rest of your deer with a 12 ga. at 10 yards. Won’t be anymore lost animals and you won’t be ripping on people for not meeting your standards. The lack of logic I’m reading is incredible.

Anyway, judge away and crucify me if it makes you feel like a superior hunter or society’s moral compass. Viewing hunting purely as a sport vs the origins in which it was founded is going to keep y’all in knots, and that’s a hard ship to turn, as our entire hunting culture has morphed that way. But that’s an entirely separate discussion.

One thing I will comment on, is the gentleman neighbor I spoke to shortly after I shot the buck. And by the way, I appreciate the advice you offered about where to look for him, and how things have gone with retrieving deer from other neighboring properties. It was nice meeting you.

To your assumptions about me hunting your feeder. I can understand how you might perceive that I was hunting your feeder, but stating that is a fact is overreaching and inaccurate in this case. I will kindly encourage you to go read the first page of this thread, and you’ll have an exact understanding of why I hunted where I did (never mind the hot buck droppings I found in his bedroom). See those deer photos? Those bucks were either feeding under or very near the exact tree that the buck I shot also ate acorns from for a split second. Pick a tree in that young buck photo and I can walk you straight to it. I saw the first buck from 100 yards away on the other side of the creek, and I had no idea there were any feeders nearby, and frankly I don’t care. Corn feeder hunting is so unreliable in my experience. Acorns are not. I’ve hunted public land exclusively for 9 years, and I have never once “hunted” someone’s fence line feeder. Nothing against those that do, I just find it very unproductive. I hunted leases for 10 years before that, and grew tired of seeing the same young deer or no deer, when the better animals were at select varieties of oaks, feeding under select trees.

I sat there for 3 days facing straight away from your property, and it was 25 yards off the fence, which is my ideal comfort zone. Total deer I saw walking to your property = zero. Total deer I saw on your property from an occasional glance behind me, twisting around the big oak I was on = zero. Total deer I watched eating acorns on the refuge side = 14. And when I asked you about what kinda deer you see, you told me “everything circles my property, they just go around”. Yeah they do, there gorging on red oaks and a couple other varieties.

Anyway, I have no issues with you, I just wanted to nip that in the bud before it turns into another debate on this thread.

Everybody else, Y’all chillren knock it off and act like you love each other. We share a commonality, let’s keep that in focus.
                      I kind found it funny that this hunter on the private land insinuated that you were hunting his feeder, but has no qualms about placing his feeder 45 yards from the refuge. Pretty much any deer coming to his feeder would be coming from the refuge, and even a good shot would allow them to escape back into the refuge.

Comment

Yes I do take people at their word. I took you at your word when you said the deer was pouring out blood and walking awkwardly. I took you at your word when you said you jumped the deer 150 yards from where you shot it. I took you at your word when you said that the type of terrain on the neighbors property was gonna make it easy for the buzzards to find the buck that you thought might be dead.
                        I’ve got herniated disc as well but if I’ve shot a buck like that you can bet your butt I’ll get down and look at the Broadhead.

Not everyone is you. Ride your high horse into the sunset.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tex—you have been a member longer than me and I will respect that but it’s time you moved on too another thread. The man explained his actions and that is that.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                            Not everyone is you. Ride your high horse into the sunset.

Didn’t claim they had to be. Just answered the questions that were asked. Had he shot another buck and then the property owner called and said he found the first one what do you think the game warden would have done? I wouldn’t want to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                              Tex—you have been a member longer than me and I will respect that but it’s time you moved on too another thread. The man explained his actions and that is that.

Just responding to posts brother. I’m not mad at the guy. I’ve lost deer. I know how bad it sucks. Sorry that a difference of opinion is considered bashing. Not my intention at all.

Comment

Didn’t claim they had to be. Just answered the questions that were asked. Had he shot another buck and then the property owner called and said he found the first one what do you think the game warden would have done? I wouldn’t want to find out.

And that would be the game wardens business, not yours. I'm sure woodsman knew there was a slim chance that the stars would align that way and if they did, I bet he would have taken whatever came his way next.

Comment

Working...
                                X