No announcement yet.

Brisket mixed in deer grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We buy up Jimmy Dean sausage and bacon on sale at the Amish discount store here in Bloomfield. We mix the sausage in the grind in one batch and bacon in a separate batch. Adds fat and flavor to the ground venison. We just got done grinding 60lbs. Saturday from the buck I killed last week.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent tips. Thanks for the ideas. In the last few years, I have just been grinding my meticulously clean venison, and since it didn't go far, I just used it for chili. I think I have been cleaning it too carefully and need to add filler with fat.

mmlreiner, thanks for the offer of more venison, but I have plenty. The ranch where I hunt needs 40 deer thinned from the herd , so volume is not an issue!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
        We buy up Jimmy Dean sausage and bacon on sale at the Amish discount store here in Bloomfield. We mix the sausage in the grind in one batch and bacon in a separate batch. Adds fat and flavor to the ground venison. We just got done grinding 60lbs. Saturday from the buck I killed last week.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
        Oh man, you've given me another idea, Mike. Thanks! I added bacon ends once but added too much, and the bacon overpowered the venison. I don't think overpowered by Jimmy Dean would be a bad thing!

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
          I clean all of my axis meat (I don't eat my whitetail because of my herds of axis, the whitetail gets donated) free of all silverskin. I never want to chance it either personally but I usually end up with about 30-40 lbs of ground meat. We also split ours up ground meat and ground Italian (add regular Italian seasoning to the cubed meat before the grind). The hamburger meat has always had plenty of fat and taste awesome using a whole brisket cubed up.

Let me know if you need some more meat, I am managing a couple of ranches and always have WAY more than my fair share of table fair.
          Want to donate some of that Axis meat?

Comment

I do 70/30,
            venison/bacon
            All I've ever done

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
              this
              mix beef fat and save $$
              I may be trying the jimmy dean today - but where can you get beef fat (serious question I know ) la Michoacán ?

Comment

10% beef tallow is my favorite. Brisket is my least favorite. I want to taste venison.

Comment

I have done pork and beef fat. Never Brisket or bacon ends.

But I plan on doing one of them this year. Brisket is expensive so not sure which route I want to go

Comment

I finally mixed 1/2 ground venison with 1/2 of 73%/27% Angus, so that equates to ~13% fat content in that batch for my chili. I might should have used less fat in my ground beef. We shall see. I went this route because it was easier.

Then another batch I mixed 1/2 ground venison with 1/2 pork sausage similar to what Arrowsmith did. I will use this for hamburgers. I will update after I cook it.

Comment

I did 80/20 with brisket last year and it made great ground meat... I used the brisket fat, but made sure I also included equal if not a bit more brisket meat so it wasn't just fat going with venison. Like you, I typically over trim as I do not like silver skin but take your time you can get it right and not waste much.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        I cube/chunk up my deer meat and my brisket. I mix the chunks together and then grind. It’s not all that hard to shove a piece or two of deer meat down the throat then a chunk or two of brisket. Repeat. If I think I need to mix more after the grind, I will divide the grind into smaller batches to make mixing easier and more efficient.
                        this is a great way to do it. if you really want to put some effort into and get really the best blend start with a run through a more coarse chili plate once or twice, then take it down to the hamburger plate. that way it doesn't get too mushy from overgrinding but still mixes everything really well.

Comment

I go to heb and ask the meat market for their steak trimmings, usually get 3 or 4 pounds of of a good mix of fat and meat, mostly fat. I grind with deer at about 80/20 and that’s plenty fatty for me

Comment

50/50 deer and brisket. I also have HEB set aside some ribeye fat and add about 5 lbs

lose some venison taste, but with 5 kids, those 4 or 5 deer gotta go along wayyyyy lol
                            Last edited by Alderrg; 11-21-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I buy Prime USDA briskets from Costo. I trim the briskets up like Aaron Franklin shows on his videos. The brisket goes on the smoker. The fat goes into the grind pile. I mix 80% venison, 20% brisket trimmings. For example, a 10 pound batch would be 8 pounds venison, 2 pounds beef fat.

There's no need to trim out all the silverskin in ground, it actually adds flavor, and a good strong grinder with a sharp plate and knife will chop it up where it you wont notice it. I grind mine once through the fine plate, and I like that texture the best. I'll use that same ground mix to make beef based sausage recipies. Can sub the 80/20 venison beef fat into any recipe that is designed for beef, often with a little pork added as well.

Comment

Save your money weigh your deer go to local meat market and add 10-15 % beef fat. Tell your butcher you need 5-10 lbs or what ever beef fat. You can buy it for about 0.50 per pound add that to deer when you grind it. Ben doing it this way for 20 years

Comment

Working...
                                X