X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers sent

Comment

Originally posted by Fixedblade View Post
      Update....after 4 surgeries and 7 day stay in the hospital I should be on my way home tomorrow! Major open wounds and loss of tissue from the tripod steps tearing into my leg in two places. Confirm your foot placement on those tripod steps or any type of step. Could of been much worse, didn’t miss major arteries my much! Thanks for all the prayers, it really lifted my spirits!
      Glad to hear they are getting you fixed-up. Continued prayers for healing

Comment

Originally posted by Fixedblade View Post
        Update....after 4 surgeries and 7 day stay in the hospital I should be on my way home tomorrow! Major open wounds and loss of tissue from the tripod steps tearing into my leg in two places. Confirm your foot placement on those tripod steps or any type of step. Could of been much worse, didn’t miss major arteries my much! Thanks for all the prayers, it really lifted my spirits!

Wow that’s crazy. I’m glad you are getting fixed up and healing.

What brand tripod when you have time to answer.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
          Wow that’s crazy. I’m glad you are getting fixed up and healing.

What brand tripod when you have time to answer.

Sent from my iPhone
          Unsure of the brand. It was purchased at Academy 15 plus years ago. Steps were a 1” flat bar bent in a L shape with a another 1” flat bar that was bent as a support bar that stuck above the step. AKA “meat hook”! I’ll post a pic of the tripod when I find one. Arrived HOME at 7 pm last night. Feels so good to be home!

Comment

Glad youre home. Sounds like a terrible ending to a hunt. Id suggest running over that tripod and putting in a nice bow blind to replace it! But in all seriousness, I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back in the field before this season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Oh my goodness! That sounds like a terrible accident. Great news that the major arteries were missed and that you are now healing.

Care to share with us how you got out of the woods after the accident? Tourniquet needed? Somebody to drive you?

Comment

Here is the story. I hunt on my own property and my neighbors property in western travis county. Afterwork on Friday afternoon I decided to hit the bow stand for a thick body 8 pt I’ve been seeing. I got up in the stand about 4:45. Cool, crisp evening with perfect wind for this setup. The evening was uneventful, seen a small 6 pt and a decent 8 pt on the hand corn. They walked off. I heard my wife leave to go feed the neighbors horses. Time moved on and the hunt was over. Bow was on the hanger above by head as I was going to leave it and try again in the morning. As I began my decent down the tripod I lost my footing and started to fall backwards. I felt an impact to my left hamstring then the next thing I knew I was hanging upside down by what I thought were my pants. My hamstring was hurting very bad so I knew something was wrong. The first attempt to free myself was unsuccessful. I felt for my phone in my pocket, it wasn’t there. Attempt 2 was successful in righting myself. It took all of my strength to bend at the waist, use my left hand to grab part of the tripod leg and lift myself off the step I was hanging from. As I hit the ground I knew I had to roll to avoid a sharp impact from the ground. I figure my head was about two feet from the ground while I was upside down. I began searching the ground for my phone and found it. Called my wife and told her I need help. Then I looked at my injured thigh. I could see a large flap of skin hanging and could feel the depth of the wound. At that moment I decided to walk back home. Still don’t know how I walked home but there I was in the garage with my wife pulling in and my son hearing the commotion and to see what was going on. When my son seen me he had a horrified look on his face. Him and my wife went into action. My wife grabbed a chair for me to sit on and my son called 911. While sitting on the chair I knew my hamstring was messed up then began looking at my left calf. Holy **** is all I could say when I seen my calf, now I knew I wasn’t hanging from my pants, it was my calf that caught the step. I could hear the sirens from the emergency vehicles coming. They got there amazingly fast. They wrapped my wounds, gave me some medication and we were off to St David’s South Austin Medical blue lights on and moving. I will be hooked up to what is called a wound vac for a few weeks. It consists of a sponge type material inserted into the wound with a sealing bandage that creates a vacuum to the wound that helps it heal. There will be sponge and bandage changes every 2 days. The fireman, the EMS personal and the entire staff at St David’s South Austin Medical were absolutely incredible.

There it is. I have pictures but are not willing to share at this time. I’m so thankful to all that have helped me and all that have offered help.

Comment

Holy Cow, man that was not good. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Prayers for your wounds to heal

Comment

Wow what an ordeal and glad all the other things worked out ok on getting you help. And a big atta Girl for your wife holding it together during this ordeal.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

Wow that sounds like a horrific injury- glad you were able to get help quickly

Comment

Dang! Get well quick bubba..
                          I was going up a trip-pod(fast)one afternoon,several years ago.My left foot slipped off the cheap 1" square tubing.I felt it run up between my shin bone/calf muscle.Past the knee.Between the quad/hamstring.As it was getting close to the family jewels,I bailed off.Ten foot of cheap junk layed near me.Bow hunting gear splayed everywhere..

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! So glad you were close enough to get help quickly and not out on a distant ranch by yourself. There, but for the grace of God, could have been many of us in areas where help would not have been available.

I am so thankful that you were able to get home and to the hospital quickly. You must be one tough determined guy to have walked home with the damage you had; must have been the adrenalin!

I remember the story quite a few years ago of one TBHer who was hunting with his wife on a flat, elevated platform out in the boonies in the evening. Her chair rolled back, and she fell off backward and was impaled on a t-post from her back through her breast. Nobody knew exactly where he was hunting, and his cell phone battery eventually died trying to get and directing help in the dark. They were there, alone, with her still impaled (as I remember) until the EMT's were finally able to find them. She survived miraculously; a tough woman. Sadly, I cannot remember his screen name.

We never know when a careless, or even a careful, mistake can put us in peril. Thanks for sharing your story to remind us to be careful!

Comment

Praying for you

Comment

Horrible deal

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                Wow! So glad you were close enough to get help quickly and not out on a distant ranch by yourself. There, but for the grace of God, could have been many of us in areas where help would not have been available.

I am so thankful that you were able to get home and to the hospital quickly. You must be one tough determined guy to have walked home with the damage you had; must have been the adrenalin!

I remember the story quite a few years ago of one TBHer who was hunting with his wife on a flat, elevated platform out in the boonies in the evening. Her chair rolled back, and she fell off backward and was impaled on a t-post from her back through her breast. Nobody knew exactly where he was hunting, and his cell phone battery eventually died trying to get and directing help in the dark. They were there, alone, with her still impaled (as I remember) until the EMT's were finally able to find them. She survived miraculously; a tough woman. Sadly, I cannot remember his screen name.

We never know when a careless, or even a careful, mistake can put us in peril. Thanks for sharing your story to remind us to be careful!
                                I didn’t read it on here but heard about it at camp in Webb county
                                It sounded very horrible “ she was very lucky to survive “

Also everyone remember to be careful when moving or standing up tower blinds
                                My hunters always scoffed at my giving them safety meeting warnings about drinking and doing dangerous stuff, the year after I left, some guys got drunk
                                And tried to stand up a 20 footer, and it fell on a guy , one life flight, and 2-3 months in ICU , and a lifetime in a wheelchair!!
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-23-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X