No announcement yet.

Hunting With Thumb Releases... Talk Me into It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've useD a Carter Chocolate Addiction 4-finger for years - 2003 to now to be exact. It locks up on your string loop and simply hangs there ready to go when you grab the bow. So it's clipped up and the 4 finger spread, puts the draw weight across the maximum amount of fingers at full draw, making it super easy to max out your bow's draw strength. Anchor point is consistent since you draw and anchor up on your face in the same spot, over and over, much like shooting a recurve. Your hand is closer to the bowstring, making yod draw tighter and less length in the drawing arm.

I shot a lot of 3D tournaments with the old Chocolate Addiction and there is no transition from hunt to target, using one full time for both.

Comment

been shooting one since 2001. Can't remember the one I'm using now but can look when i get home later. I have 2. One with a wrist strap that I use when hunting and one without the strap that I use for 3D or target shooting.

When I found that I punched it way less than an index finger release and was more consistent in my anchor point and both of those made me way more consistent and accurate.

Comment

I started with a Scott little goose in the 90s. Switched to a Carter chocolate lite last year and never going back.....unless I get a cut on my fingers. Lol

Comment

I switched to a thumb release about four or five years ago. Seriously it’s the best thing I have done ( shooting wise) ever. The trigger is so much better, it’s unbelievable. I spot and stock and being able to clip on, move have both hands free to crawl or what ever ( range find) and just grab and draw, so so much superior then my wrist release. Only thing is I am afraid of setting it down and losing it. So I bought two more as spares. Love mine.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info guys keep it coming!

Comment

I love mine... thumb releases are like riding a bike WITHOUT training wheels [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you pull the trigger on your gun with your thumb? Close Thread

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                  I switched to a thumb release about four or five years ago. Seriously it’s the best thing I have done ( shooting wise) ever. The trigger is so much better, it’s unbelievable. I spot and stock and being able to clip on, move have both hands free to crawl or what ever ( range find) and just grab and draw, so so much superior then my wrist release. Only thing is I am afraid of setting it down and losing it. So I bought two more as spares. Love mine.
                  what release are u\you using thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                    Do you pull the trigger on your gun with your thumb? Close Thread

No but you also don’t squeeze with your back when shooting a gun [emoji23]

Comment

I used to use a thumb release several years ago. I liked it a lot, but I had a couple instances where I had it clipped on and bumped it accidentally and had it fall to the ground while I was hunting. I switched to a wrist strap style and have stayed with that since. I do like the thumb release a little better for the actual shot, but I like having the release strapped to me while I'm hunting - and strapped to my bow when it's in the case. I had a couple other times where I got into my stand and realized I left my thumb release in the case.

Pros and cons to both.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        I used to use a thumb release several years ago. I liked it a lot, but I had a couple instances where I had it clipped on and bumped it accidentally and had it fall to the ground while I was hunting. I switched to a wrist strap style and have stayed with that since. I do like the thumb release a little better for the actual shot, but I like having the release strapped to me while I'm hunting - and strapped to my bow when it's in the case. I had a couple other times where I got into my stand and realized I left my thumb release in the case.

Pros and cons to both.

I agree to accidentally dropping it !! ThAts what I made this .. far as not forgetting it.. I use double sided Velcro and attach it to my bow grip .

Comment

I made the switch about 5 years ago. I currently shooting a TRU ball blade pro. I really like the weight of the brass and the trigger is crisp and quite. Loading it to the D-Loop is fast unlike many thumb releases. Those are the keys factors for me. The only drawback is the price. Buy once...cry once or in my case...I cried twice, bought a backup. It’ll last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Curious about how the anchor point is better?

When I anchor with a strapped release i get one vane in the corner of my lip and index knuckle on my ear lobe.

I have no thought of changing but think my son could try something else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              I never went away from my old Hotshot string release until it broke after 30 years. I hated those wrist band thingys. LOL. I bought a Stan and it only lasted two years before breaking. I liked it though.
                              Hey BoB, I still have an old Hotshot stuffed away somewhere. If I can find it, I'll send it to ya.

Comment

Carter Too Simple for me. I used to shoot pretty tight groups at 80 yards with an inexpensive index release. Can’t really tell the thumb has improved my groups. Bought it, so I’m getting my money out of it. Wanting to try a hinge release. I do like how you leave on the d-loop and it’s ready to go. There is a learning curve with getting used to it. Be prepared for a few unexpected fires.

Comment

Working...
                                X