X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head shots.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
      what is the difference in the sound between the subs and the supers? I have about 7 other calibers in the safe to choose from if it is going to make just as much noise.
      The subs are way quieter than the supers suppressed. I’ve never shot subs at game and have the surrounding animals not run off. The sound of subs impacting on animals is loud enough to scare everything off.

They react differently i.e. they don’t run off as fast or as scared with supers but everything still runs off.

I’m also waiting on hornady to release the 190 sub-x heads so I can reload them a little hotter and get a harder hitting round. They are listed at 1050 FPS , but I’d like to see how much faster I can push them and still remain accurate.

Hopefully I'll have some updates to this thread, but I’m interested in hearing other people’s experiences.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
        what is the difference in the sound between the subs and the supers? I have about 7 other calibers in the safe to choose from if it is going to make just as much noise.

What’s the reason that you are so concerned about the sound? Subs are worthless in my opinion, short of hunting people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
          I wouldn’t shoot past 50 yards with subs, ideally 30 yards max.

I’d compare the subs to shooting a bow with 35-40lb limbs with a field point I’m my experience. I’ll shoot subs to max 40 yards and it’s going to either be a neck or head shot.

Jason Slocum

This! Thank you. I get that subs are quiet, but there is no reason to hunt with subs unless you want to handicap yourself, and in that case, you have an ethical obligation to the animal. You wouldn’t sling an arrow at a deer at 100 yards. Get in a bow stand and take a 20 yard neck shot if you want to use subs. I’ve done that with pistol calibers, buckshot, open sights, etc. it’s not bow hunting, but it’s up close and personal.

The 110 grain loads are great on hill country whitetails. Even those drop a good 3” between 100 and 150 and are also noticeably a little low at 50.

Comment

Working...
          X