• Show
Clear All

Welcome

Comment

Good to have you here

Comment

Welcome to the fire Zach!

Comment

Hey there folks. Thanks for having me. I just picked up a bow this last spring on the recommendation if a friend, and i fell in love. I cant believe what ive been missing out in all these years. Anywho i was able to get permission on a piece this last Wednesday. It belongs to some fairly distant cousins of mine. I hunted it Friday and had some good encounters with some really good deer. I went back Saturday with no luck. Left it alone Sunday. Cold front comes in sunday night and the wind is howling straight out of the north monday morning. I went in around 11 monday morning after scouring on x all weekend with a game plan to hug the south edge of the property to where i thought most of the deer would be bedded. I started running into sign pretty quick but decided to keep pressing on. Walked through a little draw and up onto the ridge and saw some deer bedded in the next draw over. Got down, glassed and found a buck standing on the ridge of the next draw. South facing slope, top third of the ridge just like everybody says about bucks bedding. He was an old old deer, you could see it in his face. He was only a 6 point, buy man did he have some mass. Looked like coke cans coming off his head. Kept glassing up the ridge a little and all i could see was this gigantic 5 point side laying up against some brush. So i decided, its pre rut ive been seeing some rubs and a scrape or 2, im going to try to draw him to me. Set up next to a tree, lots of back cover, clean shooting lane 15 yards to what looked like the trail up out of that ridge. Rattled, set my antlers down, grabbed my bow, clipped on and decided there was one limb that i needed to move. Its literally been maybe a minute since i finished rattling. As soon as i reach out to move that branch that big old 6 point started blowing straight to my right, on a different trail out of the draw. Blew like crazy and tore down right through that bedding area, over the hill and out of my life. I thought for sure every dang deer out there was gone with him, including that giant i had seen bedded. So i called my buddy to try and come up with a game plan on what i should do, and while im on the phone with him this big giant 8 point comes walking back in. Turns out it the same deer he was a main frame 8 with a sweet crab claw on his right side. I hung up on my buddy and tried to make a new plan. By now its just a little after noon. So i reposition to shoot down both trails, give it just a bit and rattle again. Nothing. Wait, glass, watch this big guy do his thing. He couldnt care less. By now i am around 60 or so yards away from him and 3 other small bucks across this draw. I tried every dang trick in the book to get him to move to me. Grunted, raked a tree with my rattling antlers, tore up the leaves on the ground, rattled, everything. He just wasnt interested. I sat and watched this big boy for 5 stinking hours. I watched him bed 2 more times, get up, mess with the other bucks, just a big buck doing big buck things. Finally at around 4:30 he gets up and starts moving around, i had moved to the edge of the draw by now and was 51 yards from him in his bed. I ranged where the small bucks were walking out through the ridge at exactly 40 yards, and let me tell you the big boy read the script. I had to keep telling myself, yellow pin, yellow pin, yellow pin. He stepped out, stopped on his own slightly quartering away about 30 feet below me at 40 yards, and i let him have it. It sounded like mike tyson ran down that hill and punched this deer with a sweeping right cross! He ran north over the hill and i lost my mind! I just shot the biggest deer of my life, hell the biggest deer i had ever seen on the hoof!. I made some phone calls then went down and found my arrow. Blood from broadhead to nock, money! I pretty much sprinted back to my pickup, cranked up the heater, and waited on dad to show up. Mr. Crabs, as i was calling him, along with many other names, only ran 50 yards. He crashed just on the other side of the hill. Perfect double lung shot. Man what a hunt! If it wasnt for the cold temps, and that bitter 20-30 mph north wind that made it a pretty miserable wait, i never would have gotten close enough to see these deer, much less sit and watch them for 5 cold hours. He is my 3rd deer with a bow, and biggest by a large margin. If you look at the pic of him bedded, the log that runs up and down, i **** him right at the bottom of that log.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Hows the best way to add some pics?

Comment

Welcome Bud...

Comment

Originally posted by Zach.tipps View Post
                  Hows the best way to add some pics?
                  Gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment