No announcement yet.

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing this PSA back up for those that don’t get it.

Comment

I just read 211 posts so I feel I must throw in my $.02.

A bunch of y'all have short little baby arms. You must look like redneck T Rexes.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Because it goes through so slow the fletching glue contacts the meat too long. I read about it... in a book
        Ive never been there......

Comment

I’ve shot deer and javelina and pigs with bows that had over draw and light arrows and pass throughs were the norm. Over draws faded out, and alum. arrows were still the thing, shot middle of road weight arrows and pass throughs were the norm. Jumped on the light arrow ( carbon) band wagon, speed kills, pass throughs were the norm. Tested the heavy arrow waters for quite some time, 600-1500 gr. and everything in between. Pass throughs were the norm. One thing I have noticed with all of them is a super sharp true cut on contact broad head that retains its edge, and don’t brake, is far more beneficial in pass throughs then arrow weight.( but on smaller animals leads to losing more arrows due to pass throughs and the arrow flying off into the abyss) Deer and smaller animals are pretty easy to shoot through and even mech. heads, punch type heads ( heads that don’t have true blades to the tip) pass through easily enough that lost arrows are very very common. Up the size of the animals and a great cut on contact ( even a wide cut) normally pass through, and still many arrows are lost. Make a bad shot ( heavy bone, even on small animals) and even the 1500 gr arrows didn’t get pass throughs the majority of the time. The problem with pushing this heavy arrow set up,( drinking the adult arrow kool aid) in the case of a bad shot insurance ( heavy bone) is giving so many people a false sense of “ I can shoot them any where and get a pass through or it’ll kill them no matter what attitude, and its just not true, and we have tracked more animals these last few years from people with that attitude then we ever did ( do) with guys shooting very light set ups ( women and young kids included). Shoot them where you should and todays equipment when properly tuned and used correctly normally add up to recoverd animals. As far as coving your *** on bad shots there is far more likely to be soft tissue hits ( the majority of the animal) then heavy bone hits. And when you get into bone hits there is so many variables and luck in what the arrow broad head is going to do it’s a gamble.( luck) So heavy, light or any where in between the most important thing is hit them in the right spot with a well tuned setup.
          Last edited by critter69; 10-22-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

With hunting it's my opinion that there are few, if any universal rules. Even if it's worked for you this way 1,000 times there's someone else with just as much opposite experience, who's opinion is just as valid.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
              I'm right at 550 out of a 63# bowtech rpm360 at 27.5". The efficiency of the cams making it a "speed bow" allow me to go with a heavier arrow and still get decent speeds. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              I’m with you on the RPM 360. I shoot 605g/74#. I was hitting 272fps. Hammer for sure

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                the most important thing is hit them in the right spot with a well tuned setup.
                I agree with a well tuned bow being most important. With that said, heavy arrows are easier to tune and more forgiving.

Comment

The battle rages on. Heavy arrow vs Light Arrow. Critter69 said a mouthful, all of it true.

Comment

Working...
                  X