No announcement yet.

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be clear I'm far from a heavy arrow guy, I'm a have an arrow for the specific critter guy. I find these threads hilarious because, for the most part, guys on this forum are shooting animals over feed. And to make it even more hilarious is the critter 90% of the time are under 200 pounds....... (I hunt over bait also in some areas, so that's not a dig) but it's creating a stationary location where yarage guessing/ranging is not needed.

When someone says, shoot ***XX weight because it goes through anything, my first reaction it an eye-roll. If these threads were actually intended to be possitive, post what you are trying to accomplish and why. Also, what are your specs, DL, poundage, draw length, poundage, arrow weight, fletching configuration. Then on to the area you are hunting, species and what your planning to expect.

In all honesty from reading comments on these types of threads, most guys on this forum don't shoot well enough to actually see a difference in an arrow build. Keep the arrow in the mid 400grain range (10grain per inch shaft, 125 grain head and you are there), shoot small mechanicals or fixed blades on elk or bigger critters and that's about as dumbed down as it can get.

Lastly, if you shoot 3-4-5 critters a year and only hunt whitetails/hogs in the same terrain/ environment, sit on the sidelines on these threads. If that can be accomplished, this thread or these types of threads would allow people to learn. If you fall into this category of I go to the lease and sit in the stand whack a few deer and hogs a year. Sit back, drink a beer, read these threads, and realize a guy at bass pro can set up your rig and get the job done!

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
      To be clear I'm far from a heavy arrow guy, I'm a have an arrow for the specific critter guy. I find these threads hilarious because, for the most part, guys on this forum are shooting animals over feed. And to make it even more hilarious is the critter 90% of the time are under 200 pounds....... (I hunt over bait also in some areas, so that's not a dig) but it's creating a stationary location where yarage guessing/ranging is not needed.

When someone says, shoot ***XX weight because it goes through anything, my first reaction it an eye-roll. If these threads were actually intended to be possitive, post what you are trying to accomplish and why. Also, what are your specs, DL, poundage, draw length, poundage, arrow weight, fletching configuration. Then on to the area you are hunting, species and what your planning to expect.

In all honesty from reading comments on these types of threads, most guys on this forum don't shoot well enough to actually see a difference in an arrow build. Keep the arrow in the mid 400grain range (10grain per inch shaft, 125 grain head and you are there), shoot small mechanicals or fixed blades on elk or bigger critters and that's about as dumbed down as it can get.

Lastly, if you shoot 3-4-5 critters a year and only hunt whitetails/hogs in the same terrain/ environment, sit on the sidelines on these threads. If that can be accomplished, this thread or these types of threads would allow people to learn. If you fall into this category of I go to the lease and sit in the stand whack a few deer and hogs a year. Sit back, drink a beer, read these threads, and realize a guy at bass pro can set up your rig and get the job done!
      Word!

Comment

Shoot what you want especially if it has been working for you.

2 holes are better than 1, 2 holes means more blood can exit the body and make the tracking job easier.
        I am more likely to get 2 holes with a heavier arrow than a lighter arrow with everything else being equal. Do I expect to get a pass through every time with a heavy arrow...NO

I shoot a 500gr arrow and went up to that this year because I went on an elk hunt. I don't believe by shooting a 500gr arrow instead of a 380gr arrow I am going to miss, regret or not be able to shoot a deer, pig or whatever I am hunting.

Comment

This conversation is spineless.

See what I did there?

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
            I didn't realize how many short little fella's feathers I'd ruffled with this thread.
            BAHAHHAHAHA, getting a kick out of this as well

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              60# 28” 385gr ... shoots through 99% deer and 80% hogs. Weight on hog and deer is waaayyy over rated. But if it makes you more confident. By all means
              not even slightly overrated, if anything in archery is overrated it is the importance of ke,,, it's a joke with with an arrow.... if you choose to shoot light weight go for it,, for those who know the benefits of weight/momentum we will stay with it

Comment

KE is important if you are transferring the energy to the target through "terminal performance."
                Since pass-through is the goal in archery, meaning that the arrow maintains KE through and past the target, the over-emphasis that KE puts on velocity is deceiving.
                Momentum is where it's at for stick and string hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  KE is important if you are transferring the energy to the target through "terminal performance."
                  Since pass-through is the goal in archery, meaning that the arrow maintains KE through and past the target, the over-emphasis that KE puts on velocity is deceiving.
                  Momentum is where it's at for stick and string hunting.
                  your statement clearly shows you really do not understand ke at all,,, it is your choice to continue to be deceived by it or learn what it really is in archery,,, ke from an arrow does not kill,,, (pretty much anything bigger than a rabbit,,,,) ke is a joke, very simply if your arrow is passing through your not even using the ke the projectile has, if you really think it is important go screw some blunts on your arrows and go shoot some targets of choice and see how many die from the ke, because with the blunts your getting all the use of the ke from the arrow! All of it! keep an honest count and video some of your hits and post them on here and prove me an everyone else wrong about how useless ke is in archery... very little ke is transfered to the target when a broadhead is used, and it is the momentum of the arrow that causes it to pass through and the head does the killing ,
                  not by ke... but by blood loss........... ke in archery is, was, and will always be a joke with archery equipment

Comment

The average football linebacker weights 230 pounds and sprints at 25.5 FPS. = 2020 ft pounds of energy
                    A 190gr bullet at 2200fps produces about the same

... one is better at killing an elk

Ke is just a measurement. It really means nothing other that a scale of movement. That’s it

Momentum is more useful.... but nobody knows what the increase in that measurement really translates to. You can make a big number change.... and in reality means &$&% ( when talking North America game)

Again, I stay in the middle of the road it’s PROVEN to be successful. I’ve never lost an animal due to arrow weight... ever

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                      your statement clearly shows you really do not understand ke at all,,, it is your choice to continue to be deceived by it or learn what it really is in archery,,, ke from an arrow does not kill,,, (pretty much anything bigger than a rabbit,,,,) ke is a joke, very simply if your arrow is passing through your not even using the ke the projectile has, if you really think it is important go screw some blunts on your arrows and go shoot some targets of choice and see how many die from the ke, because with the blunts your getting all the use of the ke from the arrow! All of it! keep an honest count and video some of your hits and post them on here and prove me an everyone else wrong about how useless ke is in archery... very little ke is transfered to the target when a broadhead is used, and it is the momentum of the arrow that causes it to pass through and the head does the killing ,

not by ke... but by blood loss........... ke in archery is, was, and will always be a joke with archery equipment
                      lol
                      You COMPLETELY misinterpreted my post.

Comment

lol
                        Yes, he did. And I’m not on the momentum bandwagon!👍

Comment

lol
                          i read it again and offer my apology ,,, head cold has me messed up!

Comment

You boys are far more serious about this stuff than I am! I made a D in physics, so I think I'll just keep on keeping on with whatever weight arrow I've been shooting for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                              Hey DRT, why did you choose to not respond to this question directed at you?
                              I have ADD. I moved on. What was the question?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                How many animals have you killed over 40 yards with a bow?

Gary
                                Found it.
                                Imo bowhunting is a close up pursuit. If I wanted to kill animals at long range I'd use a rifle.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X