Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever wonder where deer disappear to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Yall are going to have ol' JSHOUSE having nightmares again with this topic.
    yes sir, been there for sure. my PTO bank is still trying to recuperate from 2012-2015 and all the days i spent chasing a deer that was never going to come

Comment

Yes we wonder all the time? But we know the answer at our place. They just simply jump over the fence and sometimes are never seen again. We have probably looked at 200-300 bucks that we never see more than one time in our 14 years that we thought, man that's going to be a good one. We share about 4 miles of fences with two neighbors. One is the Waggoner 530,000 acres. The other place joins both us and the Wag and it is 20000 acres. Neither has hunted till 2 years ago. The Wag started hunting operations but the areas they hunt in are 25-30 miles from us. That is a lot of no pressure, free range country for the big bucks to get lost in!

Comment

Someone had a thread over this a few years ago. Talks about the deer going on a walk about.

Comment

Been giving this a lot of thought. I'm chasing a mature 8 point and have trail cam pics of him at the feeder but haven't seen him when I hunt it. I'm convinced that he beds close to the feeder area and sees and/or smells when I come in to hunt it. You can only be so stealthy when slipping into your hunting area and these older smart bucks can figure you out pretty quick.

Comment

As mentioned before, a big cat can mess up a good area for awhile, I never used cameras so I was oblivious to this problem Im trying to learn the camera deal, I imagine its hard not to assume the worst but hopefully most are still alive?!

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
              I bet we wold be surprised of how many of these bucks that “disappear” are probable at times within 50-100 yards of us and we never know.

Bucks absolutely have summer and winter ranges. I deal with it every year.

I posted something about this the other day sort of. It would be kinda cool to have a map that showed me with red dots on it exactly where every buck was during that particular time. Not for any other reason than just wanting to know. And for my sanity lol.
              I have thought this very same thing all my life. Even if I had to swear not to use the information to kill them.....I just want to know where the heck they are!

I also used to wonder how many big ol bass looked at my lure/worm/bait, and just thought....nahhh.

Comment

Our deer are big time roamers even on the same piece of property amongst members.....and it seems like every year we have a few good bucks we watch all the way up until they go hard horned and then disappear in mid September from the whole place. I know they move around. I'm just waiting for the other surrounding properties to repay the favor.. Sure seems like it happens more to us than for us...

Last edited by Smart; 11-07-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I'm not a high fence hater, but this thread certainly shows how high fences can tip the scales in a hunter's favor. A deer can't roam 5-10 miles unless it's a biiiig high fence place.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Our deer are big time roamers even on the same piece of property amongst members.....and it seems like every year we have a few good bucks we watch all the way up until they go hard horned and then disappear in mid September from the whole place. I know they move around. I'm just waiting for the other surrounding properties to repay the favor.. Sure seems like it happens more to us than for us...

No crap our neighbors wear us out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I also used to wonder how many big ol bass looked at my lure/worm/bait, and just thought....nahhh.
                      This is the one that drives me crazy

Comment

I have thought this very same thing all my life. Even if I had to swear not to use the information to kill them.....I just want to know where the heck they are!

Man I used to try the ol "Jesus, just let me see him, I promise not to shoot him..."

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Need the recipe bruh! What's all that crumbly goodness on top?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cracked peppercorns and sea salt

Comment

Mine usually end up in my neighbors freezers Thy don't grow old by being dumb.

Comment

I have had a fantasy since I started deer hunting 40 years ago. That in a blink of an eye, every tree, bush, shrub, within a mile would go away for 10 seconds, revealing everything that is eluding me.

Well, that's just one of the fantasies.

Comment

The Wag cowboy found this in April right next to our shared fence where we drive by most everytime we go out to hunt. 15 yards from our road. No one ever saw this deer. I wondered how many years and times we drove right by him and he just laid there and watched us go by.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X