No announcement yet.

Eating Wild Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had an old timer once tell me to only kill them in a month with a "r" in it. I'm sure it was just an old wives tale though.

Comment

Always heard only eat rabbit during months that have an “R” in them...I’ve eat rabbits in every month as long as the meat was clean after skinning.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        I tried it once also.... Never again! I even shot 4-5 just to pick out a young one that looked good.

If anyone doesn't believe me be sure and remind me if they ever visit the ranch. We will go shoot one after dark and I'll cook it up for you.
        must just be your cookin

Comment

Jack rabbits are good if they're young. Old ones can be tough as a boot. That Sardinian hare stew sounds good. I might have to try it with some of the squirrels in my freezer. Also, as has been mentioned, season has nothing to do with internal parasites.

Comment

I try to get enough stacked up in the freezer and make smoked sausage out of em. Best sausage I’ve ever had. It’s a lot of work deboning em but it’s worth it.

Comment

Cottontails, Swamp Rabbits, Jackrabbits...they are all good.

Jack backstraps sliced into little steaks and chicken fried is hard to beat.

Rabbit stew, gumbo, grilled, fried, rabbit pot pie....

Comment

No mention of this, but I've been told to check their livers for white spots. If they don't have them they should be good to go.

Truth to that? No idea. I believed everything my dad told me up until recently.

Comment

Anything a rabbits got a deer has too.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                    No mention of this, but I've been told to check their livers for white spots. If they don't have them they should be good to go.

Truth to that? No idea. I believed everything my dad told me up until recently.
                    That's one of the signs of tularemia. So this one is legit.

Comment

Very tasty

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                        Anything a rabbits got a deer has too.
                        Does a deer have a fluffy lil tail and hoppy lil legs and big ol ears?!?!??!?!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          I've been looking for a jack ever since I read that Sardinian Hare Stew recipe, and now of course I can't find one.
                          It is excellent! Had a friend stop by my house once after I made a big pot of it. I told him I had a pot of jackrabbit stew on and he was welcome to have a bowl. He gave it a glance, then poured himself a bowl.

As we was scarfing it down, he then asks me, "This ain't really jack rabbit, is it?"

"Uh, yeah bud. It is."

"Huh, well **** it's good!"

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            I tried it once also.... Never again! I even shot 4-5 just to pick out a young one that looked good.

If anyone doesn't believe me be sure and remind me if they ever visit the ranch. We will go shoot one after dark and I'll cook it up for you.
                            Ever think that it could be your cookin [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I made that Sardinian Hare stew with a jack and a porcupine, was delicious!

I called it Rodent Roulette.

Comment

Wait until after a freeze to kill worms. Or put dead ones in the freezer for 2 good days. Kinda like everything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X