No announcement yet.

2019 Hagerman Seg. B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of us were victim to the lockdown!

I had my chance on Friday morning and shot one step too early on a mid 160's deer that strolled down my trail at 18 yards. I hit a limb and my arrow fell low and and back of the vitals, there was no blood on the arrow only white hair and fat (I belive I missed the guts). That was at 9:30.

I get back in my stand about 10:45 and see steady movment through the midday hours. At 1:45 I hear running and grunting to my west about 150 yards away, the grunting is desperate and ends up being another hunter that was a couple hundred yards away that had just climbed back up and wasn't ready. All of the sudden a monster buck runs around the corner coming straight at me. 24+ inches wide, heavy dark horns. He runs to the base of my tree directly behind me and I draw, he then takes a few more steps and I have the pin on him at 3 yards. There was a tiny vine that was between me and his vitals and after what happened earlier that morning I elected to be cautious and not shoot, that lasted for about 10 seconds and then he decided he was in a bad spot and didn't start walking but instead went for a bolt. He ran off never to be seen by me again.

My hunt was pretty much done right there as I saw a few more deer but nothing of quility. The action pretty much shut down after Friday midday.

It was fun, hopefully I'll get drawn again in the future.

Comment

Scored my deer..156 3/8

It was a heck of an experience with a story I’ll remember forever..

Comment

I hunted my first deer hunt at Hagerman at 54. I plan on at least once more even with TPWD involved.

Hagerman is magical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to all that killed and all that hunted. A memory you won’t forget

Comment

Congrats to all the hunters that were lucky enough to get draw for the Hag! A hunt you will always remember!

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
              Curious what “equipment” was mentioned? I’m hunting Seg C.

We had TBH'er we talked to at the check station in Seg A slip up and say he had/was running a cam in there, I imagine that would get you thrown off the hunt so I guess no one ratted him out.

Comment

Congrats on all the kills saw a few good bucks just out of range still very good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  Guys, and gals, I enjoyed the poop out of it. I'll collect/formulate my thoughts tomorrow and post an update. I'm as tired as-if I hunter it all weekend, time for a bourbon and coke.
                  Lets see if I can get this organized.

I've always wanted to volunteer to work a Hagerman hunt weekend, I never brought it up as I didn't want to cause a "conflict of interest" for the drawing. As I understand, that is out the window as TPWD will now be doing the drawing, not USFWS.

I arrived @0700 on Thursday, had a short brief on how to check it in (although I had checked in 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2018). Hectic, I would say. I gained respect for the H folks. Thanks to those that had to go get the a archery endorsement, those that didn't have the printed permit, and didn't raise a stink.

The days were long, I was up @0345 each day, and in bed late in the evenings. After check-in, the morning was boring, 1000 is when you may start seeing a deer or two, the evenings were hectic, between hunters calling in, and deer checked, measure, pics, and doe permits, a pain. And I loved every minute.

The Hagerman staff were excellent. There was a volunteer man and wife that met all expectations, the USFWS officer was also excellent, as well as the overall planning. My fault, the gate opening sequence (Doug, remember this in the future).

I enjoyed meeting some new folk, and reuniting with some past fellows. It was also enlightening to see how some hunters approached the hunt. You could tell quick who was in for the "weekend", vs. those that were in in it for the full H experience. And congrats to all that scored.

Comment

I've always wanted to volunteer to work a Hagerman hunt weekend, I never brought it up as I didn't want to cause a "conflict of interest" for the drawing. As I understand, that is out the window as TPWD will now be doing the drawing, not USFWS.

I arrived @0700 on Thursday, had a short brief on how to check it in (although I had checked in 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2018). Hectic, I would say. I gained respect for the H folks. Thanks to those that had to go get the a archery endorsement, those that didn't have the printed permit, and didn't raise a stink.

The days were long, I was up @0345 each day, and in bed late in the evenings. After check-in, the morning was boring, 1000 is when you may start seeing a deer or two, the evenings were hectic, between hunters calling in, and deer checked, measure, pics, and doe permits, a pain. And I loved every minute.

The Hagerman staff were excellent. There was a volunteer man and wife that met all expectations, the USFWS officer was also excellent, as well as the overall planning. My fault, the gate opening sequence (Doug, remember this in the future).

I enjoyed meeting some new folk, and reuniting with some past fellows. It was also enlightening to see how some hunters approached the hunt. You could tell quick who was in for the "weekend", vs. those that were in in it for the full H experience. And congrats to all that scored.

Sounds like a blast. You coming back for C?

Comment

No sir, out of vacation.

Comment

Good to see you again Doug. Thanks for helping out with the hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
                          Scored my deer..156 3/8

It was a heck of an experience with a story I’ll remember forever..

Wow that’s fantastic! Congrats and wild story.

Comment

Working...
                          X