Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people have cattle if its so unprofitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
    We were talking about this just a minute ago. Have you ever ate grass fed beef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I havent, but want to try it. My brother spent some time in Africa and he said they dont feed them out there. He said he ate some and it was terrible. It offended the locals he was with but he said it was so bad he couldnt eat it

Comment

Do away with feedlot cattle and America is in trouble. Grass fed is a different market.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        This right here....
        It’s time for farmers to partner with a local processor and sell direct to consumer. Get a little savvy on social media, develop a brand identity, and draw in buyers by producing a superior, local, product. There’s a lot of people willing to pay more for exclusively grass-fed, hormone free, and holistically managed meats. I know I do when I have the opportunity.

Any breeds in particular, or does it not matter much? I intend to look into doing just this, but ive got a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          I havent, but want to try it. My brother spent some time in Africa and he said they dont feed them out there. He said he ate some and it was terrible. It offended the locals he was with but he said it was so bad he couldnt eat it

I’ve ate grass fed off a working ranch. It’s terrible. Now I don’t know what one would taste like that’s on highly fertilized grass that’s purposely there to be finished in grass. Could be different. But I’ll stick to good ol corn finished beef

Comment

Yeah I didn’t care for it.

Comment

Its terrible

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Hell....YES!

Someone just opened one in my hometown and it always seems busy.

I want to clarify, I didn’t read the 2nd half of that post about grass fed. That would never work on a production scale. I want mine fed whatever makes them FAT!

The part I liked was the idea of a real meat market marketing local beef and cutting out packing houses.

We have a pretty good one in Decatur, and I love it.

Comment

I have. In fact, I prefer it to grain fed beef. It may be a bit more gamey, but I REALLY like it. I like DEAP yellow fat instead of our modern flavorless white fat. The grass fed also has significantly more minerals, and healthier versions of fats and cholesterols. Small adjustments in preparation can mitigate the flavor differences. Searing at high temp in ghee or butter, ensuring you don’t cook past medium rare, and mixing some good percentages of fats will totally help. Adding a little acidity will also cut that mild gaminess.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                    Any breeds in particular, or does it not matter much? I intend to look into doing just this, but ive got a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As far as shopping I really like getting bison from Roam Ranch out of the hill country, and beef and pork from Sullifarm out of Texarkana. Both are rotational grazing and regenerative focused. Mushrooms and veggies from Treefolk farm in Denton when I can get to the farmers market too. Aside from that, my father runs grass fed beef (3 week grain finished, which o don’t prefer) and we pull a lot of greens out of the garden.

For breeds, I would look to “Greg Judy Regenerative rancher” on YouTube, poly face farms, Gabe brown, etc for reference. It seems to be pretty herd specific. Sell the cows that won’t grow fat on grass alone.... breed the ones that do. Greg Judy grazes cattle and sheep on the same land because they eat different stuff.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-12-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

It’s a hobby for me. Lord knows I haven’t made a killing, but I enjoy the hell out of it!

Comment

I’ve ate grass fed off a working ranch. It’s terrible. Now I don’t know what one would taste like that’s on highly fertilized grass that’s purposely there to be finished in grass. Could be different. But I’ll stick to good ol corn finished beef

Get one that’s aged well... you will change your mind.

Comment

I started farming pine and red oak to decrease my land taxes. Some might even call it a timber exemption...but they’d be wrong, it’s called a timber appraisal. There’s not much money in farming and raising trees, but they were there before I bought the place and I kept them around because they amuse me.

Comment

Working...
                          X